Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1081 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Unhappy Past Time Pocket Watch Parts

Just for info gentlemen, Past Time Pocket Watch Parts is no more. Jim tells me that he has closed down his web site and sold off his stock to Casker & Co in Ohio who, presumably, given time to catalogue everything, will be offering the items for sale.

I think its a shame as Jim has certainly provided me with an excellent service over the last few years that I have been 'messing around' with American pocket watches.

Sign of the times?

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: DaveyG)

Really, really sorry to hear this.

As I recall, PTPWP was the remains of the old S. LaRose inventory. Whatever the case, they're provided me with some REALLY difficult to find parts in the past, and always at fair prices. I had just sent an e-mail a day or two ago about the Illinois pallet fork I need, as this is the sort of part they seemed to always be able to come up with.

I'm hoping that Cas-Ker continues the same great level of service. I've never dealt with them before, even though they're by far and away the closest material house to me.
    Chapter 149

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: ben_hutcherson)

Correct Ben with regard to the stock being ex LaRose. Jim was a one man band and he did an amazing job from where I sit. I could get a part from PTPWP to the UK quicker than most UK material houses could get stuff to me - and usually with cheaper shipping costs too.

Now I know why I didn´t get any answers from Jim the last two weeks.

Sad to hear that he is closing down, it is going to be hard to find his equal.

Michael

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: MFRC1956)

Hate too hear that no wonder i have not been able too get hold of him..cas-keer is a good busniess but i would say the price will be higher.

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: s. smith)

PTPWP will be missed by me as well. I now know why I never got a reply to my emails and the sites check out function did not work. Is there a online catalog for Casker? I've never ordered from them.

Registered user.

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: Vic Kuring)

Yes, Cas-ker is online. They're a good company. I've been doing business with them since the early 80's. They've bought out the stock from other material houses that have closed, such as Marshall-Swartzchild in Chicago.
    Samantha

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: Samantha)

As of this morning the Web site is open and no announcement posted and the ordering procdure is working?

http://ptpwp.com/
    Jim Haney

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: Jim Haney)

I ordered some parts recently. I also logged in this morning and found everything working as usual. Perhaps the Casker deal is just a rumor?

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: sderek)

The Casker deal was advised to me by Jim Laing himself and I doubt he would spread rumours of his own demise. He also told me that he had 'taken the web site down' so whilst the web site may still be in place other people have said that the check out system is not functional. Below is an edited version of the e-mail that he sent to me, with personal stuff deleted.

Davey,

Sorry I have been distant. I have been working all month on selling the business to the casker co. I had to take the websites down. They now as of last week trucked all the parts to Ohio.

"................."

I do intend to get back on ebay and sell watch and other items but, no parts.

Sorry to give you this news because I enjoy working with you.

Regards,
    Jim

Interesting. I haven't needed anything from past time lately. When I do, I'll have to try to order the part and see what happens.

I have now, following an enquiry, received confirmation from Cas Ker that they are in possession of all of the ex PTPWP stock.

Jim tells me that they separated out the staffs during the transfer process so that they could be available soonest. I was given no indication by Cas Ker when the stock will be available, just some (what seem to me) pretty odd trading terms for overseas customers.

I sure hope Cas-ker makes the entire stock viewable online, like Past Time did!

I just placed my first order with Cas-Ker. I called at about 1:30 yesterday afternoon and it was in my mailbox today. That's faster than I can get parts from Dashto, although to be fair Cincy is only about an hour and a half down I-75 from me.

I didn't ask if I was getting PTPWP parts, but one of the parts I ordered was a hard-to-find Illinois 47602 staff which I know PTPWP had in stock.

The PT price on this particular part was $12.50, and Cas-Ker charged me $15. So, while the price is higher, it's not a huge difference. I also ordered two mainsprings-$14.95 for a Waltham 1892 model mainspring and $18.95 for a 1908 model m/s. $15 is about the going rate for springs from most suppliers(Dashto is usually $15 when they have them), so I may make them my main source for springs.
    Chapter 149

Default Re: Past Time Pocket Watch Parts (RE: ben_hutcherson)

I can endorse your experience with Cas-Ker Ben. After some discussion about payment methods I finally got to place an order on 27 April and that landed on my bench, in the UK, today. The parts ordered were simple stuff off their website but I would still rate that as pretty good. I'll try some more obscure stuff now the system is proved.