Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1005 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl)

I have a tiny crack line on the MOP watch dial and like to do some Touch-Up to cover the crack. Could someone advise how to do it, perhaps painting, sprayiny or polishing.
    Thank you in advance.
    John

Default Re: How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl) (RE: jnch88)

Quote Originally Posted by jnch88 View Post
    I have a tiny crack line on the MOP watch dial and like to do some Touch-Up to cover the crack. Could someone advise how to do it, perhaps painting, sprayiny or polishing.
    Thank you in advance.
    John
    I'd recommend either leaving it alone or sending it into a dial refinisher. I have a mother of pearl dial in for refinishing right now. If you want, I'll post the before and after photos when it comes back and you can see how it looks. It should be back within about one week.

Default Re: How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl) (RE: Dale)

I'll second Dale's suggestion to leave it alone - any attempts to repair or disguise the crack could render results which may be more distracting than the original flaw.

The only other options I can suggest would be to have it professionally restored or find a replacement dial.

Default Re: How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl) (RE: Barb B)

Quote Originally Posted by Barb B View Post
    I'll second Dale's suggestion to leave it alone - any attempts to repair or disguise the crack could render results which may be more distracting than the original flaw.

The only other options I can suggest would be to have it professionally restored or find a replacement dial.

Why does MOP crack? How do i prevent it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl) (RE: newbieccwan)

The layer of mother of pearl is brittle, and most often, very thin. If the layer is not well glued to the substrate, there will likely be voids in the glue which leave the MOP unsupported. Even removing the hands with hand removers can crack the MOP. Ask me how I found THAT out!

Default Re: How to fix MOP dial ( Mother of Pearl) (RE: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    The layer of mother of pearl is brittle, and most often, very thin. If the layer is not well glued to the substrate, there will likely be voids in the glue which leave the MOP unsupported. Even removing the hands with hand removers can crack the MOP. Ask me how I found THAT out!

Thanks Doug. I did a bit of research and it appears that MOP is a hydrated gemstone. I would assume one would then moisten and finish with an oil or some sort to stop the evaporation. However, I like your take on it with the glue; logically it does seem correct that poor 'glue-support' might lead to cracks.

Any other ideas?