Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1404 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Pearl grandfather clock does not chime

Hello and thank you in advance for the help. I have a Pearl grandfather clock that just will not seem to chime. When I rotate the minute hand I can hear a click every time I rotate past 0/15/30/45. I can make the pendulum go back and for but it eventually slows to a stop. The maintenance manual that came with the clock says

Pearl Grandfather Clock
    Movements H-451/H-461/H-1151/H-1161

Any help or advice with this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by smdawg33; 02-15-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Default Re: Pearl grandfather clock does not chime (RE: smdawg33)

smda,

Most GFs that have run more than 20 years are ready to have a movement replacement. Nope, I don't like it either but that's just the way it is. Have you examined the movement closely for wear?

Willie X

Default Re: Pearl grandfather clock does not chime (RE: Willie X)

Probably time to take it in for repair. If it needs to be replaced, they'll advise you. Usually 15 years or so of operation without preventive maintenance will gum it up enough to stop it.

Default Re: Pearl grandfather clock does not chime (RE: shutterbug)

If your weights are shiny brass cast weights (no shell or endcaps and threaded hooks) used with your movement AND you have a lyre pendulum AND your winding holes for the cables are almost basically in a straight line horizontally across, you'll have an added cost in the movement replacement because the time weight will not be able to run the time part of the new movement. You'll have to get another weight that matches the weight of the chime side (right hand weight).

These are nicer clocks and cases in my opinion, but there was trouble with the original movements, and when the replacements were made, there were changes made that you may not like. One is to make a new hole in the dial face for the time winding arbor, and cap the old hole. Not fun. The other alternative would be to keep it as is, and install Butter bearings where needed, or, cutting off the old pivots, re-drill the shaft and install hardened pivot wire and bushes. None of this will be cheap. FWIW..............................doc
    http://precisionclockandwatch.com
    http://precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com

Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."