Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1378 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rolex pocket watch converted to wristwatch. Authentication.

I have recently purchased a vintage Rolex pocket watch which has been converted to a wristwatch. I am attempting to authenticate its authenticity.

Attached are the pictures Rolex technician took of movement. There
    is a stamp but apparently not in right place. Rolex said it should be stamped onthe mainplate and this movement is not. PLEASE SEE PICTURES ATTACHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB6534_Glick_(7).jpg   AB6534_Glick_(6).jpg   AB6534_Glick_(8).jpg   AB6534_Glick_(10).jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rolex pocket watch converted to wristwatch. Authentication. (RE: Gus Glick)

Shouldn't a Rolex technician be able to tell you if it is authentic or not. You would think that if authentic Rolex parts fit then it is a Rolex. I am no expert on Rolex though.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rolex pocket watch converted to wristwatch. Authentication. (RE: richiec)

The most important view you might have shown us would have been the winding and setting parts behind the dial. This would aid in trying to identify who made it. The best resource I know of for identifying Rolex movements is VINTAGE AMERICAN & EUROPEAN WRIST WATCH GUIDE BY SHERRY & ROY EHRHARDT, JOE DEMESY, & KEN SPECHT, BOOK 2, ISBN 0-913902-56-X/ which is now out of print. It does show some Rolex pocket watch movements, but not that one. Strangely, the "Viseroy" name was used on a Rolex wrist watch as shown in the ROLEX ID and PRICE GUIDE by Roy Ehrhardt and Joe Demesy, page 40. In short, I think I'd need some concrete evidence before I would consider it a Rolex. But I am a born skeptic!

Default Re: Rolex pocket watch converted to wristwatch. Authentication. (RE: Gus Glick)

You didn't happen to buy it on EBay from a seller in the Ukraine, did you?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please, please help identify vintage rolex movement (RE: Gus Glick)

I re-iterate, from your earlier thread on the same watch.

The most important view you might have shown us would have been the winding and setting parts behind the dial. This would aid in trying to identify who made it. The best resource I know of for identifying Rolex movements is VINTAGE AMERICAN & EUROPEAN WRIST WATCH GUIDE BY SHERRY & ROY EHRHARDT, JOE DEMESY, & KEN SPECHT, BOOK 2, ISBN 0-913902-56-X/ which is now out of print. It does show some Rolex pocket watch movements, but not that one. Strangely, the "Viseroy" name was used on a Rolex wrist watch as shown in the ROLEX ID and PRICE GUIDE by Roy Ehrhardt and Joe Demesy, page 40. In short, I think I'd need some concrete evidence before I would consider it a Rolex. But I am a born skeptic!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please, please help me identify vintage Rolex movement (RE: Gus Glick)

You were answered and you keep asking the same questions and making new threads.
    Doug is very knowledgeable and gave you good information.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please, please help me identify vintage Rolex movement (RE: Kevin W.)

This is the THIRD thread you have started on the SAME WATCH! Considering that nobody has come up with the answer you seek, it just could be that nobody can confirm that this is, in fact, a Rolex!

Registered user.

Default Re: Please, please help me identify vintage Rolex movement (RE: doug sinclair)

Hi
    This is also the second time there was a request
    for a picture of the front side of the clock,
    that I can recall..
    Maybe the third I've not seen the first.
    Maybe your happier with that it is maybe a
    Rolex than it is or isn't.
    Since pictures are never conclusive, you
    might take or send it to a Rolex appraiser
    to see what they say.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Please, please help identify vintage rolex movement (RE: doug sinclair)

I've found this forum to have some very knowledgable Rolex people.

http://www.rolexforums.com/index.php

Registered user.

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: sderek)

Hi Gus,

I suspect you drop your question in every forum until you get a suitable
    expert oppinion, which helps to sell it.

I'm far from being a Rolex expert, but try this: An old Rolex pocketwatch
    movement, not from Cortébert, with flat hairspring and monometallic balance
    is either the ultimate rarity nobody never ever saw --- or a fake.

So sell it as ultimate rarity - it will find the right buyer.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: Roland Ranfft)

Thanks for your reply.

No, I am not looking for an expert opinion to help in selling this watch.

On the contrary, this is a family piece which I am thinking of putting some bucks in to overhaul. I didn't want to proceed until I had some level of certainty that it was indeed a genuine Rolex. Obviously I am a total novice which is why I am asking these questions which probally seem so basic to most of you. I was uncertain as to which "board" to post to since I was confused as to whether this would be considered a wristwatch or a pocket watch due to its conversion. If anyone knows of any experts in the Chicagoland area that I could taket this to for some level of verification that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion
    Thanks for your reply.

No, I am not looking for an expert opinion to help in selling this watch.

On the contrary, this is a family piece which I am thinking of putting some bucks in to overhaul. I didn't want to proceed until I had some level of certainty that it was indeed a genuine Rolex. Obviously I am a total novice which is why I am asking these questions which probally seem so basic to most of you. I was uncertain as to which "board" to post to since I was confused as to whether this would be considered a wristwatch or a pocket watch due to its conversion. If anyone knows of any experts in the Chicagoland area that I could taket this to for some level of verification that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: Gus Glick)

I didn't keep tabs on your other two posts on the subject of your watch, but I see this thread has had 309 "hits" since you posted it. Someone, somewhere in the world may have a definite answer to your question (positive or negative). It would appear that one person, whoever he or she may be, doesn't lurk here. This MB has over 1,000,000 hits per month according to the stats I hear.

In your search for an answer (however earnest that you really are), one gross omission still stands out. You haven't posted a picture of the front of the movement with the DIAL OFF, as I requested, earlier! There's likely more help there than you have received thus far. So ! If you want to know......!

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: doug sinclair)

You have been really kind to have helped me in this process of authentication. As you suggested, I uploaded the additional picture which you thought might be helpful for identification and authentication purposes. Hopefully, I did the upload correctly in this reply to you. Unfortunately, I do not know how to edit my main thread listing in order to include this additional picture but at least I can send it your way.

Again, I really do appreciate your help and patience.

Regards,

Gus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: Gus Glick)

Still awaiting that most important image. If need be, click on my name in header of this post and email the image to me. I'll post it for you if necessary.

Default Re: Vintage rolex watch probally a pocket watch conversion (RE: doug sinclair)

Doug:

The image is on my hard drive. How do I send it to you through the forum since it will not allow an attachment or a cut/paste of the picture when I attempt to send it.

Sorry for taking so much of your time.

Regards,

Gus