Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1418 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes

I have a Seth Thomas Adamantine that has been in my family since the early 40's. The date code is x981K. The last digit is unclear and appears to be a 3 or a 5. See attached pic.
    Could some kind souls post ditital pics of 3's and 5's so that I might compare? I would also entertain your speculation as to what that digit might be.
    Thanks so much,
    Ron C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picX98CropSm.jpg  

Default Re: Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes (RE: user5962)

Sorry - Wrong Reply
    Last edited by wsmith114; 01-19-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Wrong Reply

Quote Originally Posted by user5962 View Post
    I have a Seth Thomas Adamantine that has been in my family since the early 40's. The date code is x981K. The last digit is unclear and appears to be a 3 or a 5. See attached pic.
    Could some kind souls post ditital pics of 3's and 5's so that I might compare? I would also entertain your speculation as to what that digit might be.
    Thanks so much,
    Ron C.
    Ron: It looks like a 5 to me.

Default Re: Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes (RE: Steven Thornberry)

I agree, but I wish I had a picture of a '5' so that I could compare the tail. Incidentally, this clock is not pictured in Tran's book. What does that mean? (I will post a pic of the case when I get home, tonight.)

That it is not in Tran's book means really no more than that. There are any number of clocks that for whatever reason are not shown in Tran's books. There was recently an interesting example of a clock that appeared in the 1996 ed. but seems not to have been included in the most recent edition.

Here is a picture of the clock. If anyone could help me identify it beyond merely a Seth Thomas 189x. I would appreciated it.
    Ron C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ClockFace1.jpg  

Yep, nothing really like it in Tran. Possibly a stylistic variation of one shown in Tran, e.g., the Paxo (ca. 1900). Any indication of a missing top piece?

No evidence of anything missing.

Strangely enough, I *did* find something similar at www.antique-world.com that was advertised as an "Ingraham".

Bear in mind that my clock has the fancy ST on the dust cover and a Seth Thomas "Directions" sticker on the back and a ST "external escapement" movement (to my untrained eye). So I'd find it hard to believe it's not an ST.

Attached is a pic of the similar clock. The description reads:

Style:E. Ingraham black wood mantel clock.
    Comment: Unique shape makes this a great clock
    Stock Number:134-1212
    Case: Black wood with rich color marblized detail. height 10.75". Original paper dial .
    Works: E. Ingraham brass 8 day time and strike on gong.
    Year: c. 1890's
    Reference: None
    Condition: Works, running and all original Case. Missing a metal ornimental piece from accross the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1212s.jpg  

No evidence of anything missing.

Strangely enough, I *did* find something similar at www.antique-world.com that was advertised as an "Ingraham".

Bear in mind that my clock has the fancy ST on the dust cover and a Seth Thomas "Directions" sticker on the back and a ST "external escapement" movement (to my untrained eye). So I'd find it hard to believe it's not an ST.

Attached is a pic of the similar clock. The description reads:

Style:E. Ingraham black wood mantel clock.
    Comment: Unique shape makes this a great clock
    Stock Number:134-1212
    Case: Black wood with rich color marblized detail. height 10.75". Original paper dial .
    Works: E. Ingraham brass 8 day time and strike on gong.
    Year: c. 1890's
    Reference: None
    Condition: Works, running and all original Case. Missing a metal ornimental piece from accross the front.
    Well, this one does look like the Ingraham Erminie, shown in Tran from the 1915 catalogue, but with a different (gold-toned) dial, but brown columns and molding. Ingraham used this same basic case style in two or three clocks.

Maybe it's some sort of weird experimental mutant.

I agree, but I wish I had a picture of a '5' so that I could compare the tail. Incidentally, this clock is not pictured in Tran's book. What does that mean? (I will post a pic of the case when I get home, tonight.)

I think that this is a '5'.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001S.jpg  

Banned

Default Re: Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes (RE: Randyd)

Randy - That date code appears to be an entirely different font than the one used in the first post. I am looking at the line weight at the bottom of the round numbers, and not seeing the narrow line that appears in the first one.

The date codes on two clocks I have are also the heavier font. Here are two photos of date codes on my clocks. The first is on a Dana Number Four, the second is on the bottom of what I believe was called the "Prince".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dana No 4 03.JPG   Prince 05.JPG  

Default Re: Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes (RE: Dave B)

So...after viewing thousands of mantel clocks on the web, I have yet to see my clock's model.

Is that unusual? Are clocks that unique? Does that mean it's rare, and I can quit my job?

(Still looking for those 3's and 5's.)

Thanks,
    Ron

So...after viewing thousands of mantel clocks on the web, I have yet to see my clock's model.

Is that unusual? Are clocks that unique? Does that mean it's rare, and I can quit my job?

(Still looking for those 3's and 5's.)

Thanks,
    Ron
    No source of information is 100 % complete. Not finding your clock on the internet or in LY's reference works just means it isn't listed. That is no indication of rarity or of anything else.

Most of these clocks were made in very large numbers over a period of years.

You had better keep your day job............

Best,

Richard T.

Default Re: Need pics of Seth Thomas date codes (RE: Richard T.)

No, not unusual. There were so many variations over so many years that it is imposable that all were, or would ever, be listed where we can easy find what we are looking for. IME, it's a good idea to just relax and not try to hard to find what you seek. Don't give up though, eventually the info usually shows up, sometimes where you least expect it.

Willie X