Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1423 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock

I have an Emperor Grandfather clock (model 350K) that I built 35 years ago. It has a Hermile triple chime movement. I was never realy happy with the tone of the chimes. I think that they maybe a bit loud. When I set up the movement several years ago I bent the hammers such that the were close to the chime rods, but not too close to cause thuding (Is that a word? ) Anyway, would I get a better sound if I back off and get minimum contact when the hammers strike? Don't want to start bending hammer rods until I get oppinions from this forum.
    I realize that this clock movement is not great. Would like to replace it someday with tubular chimes, but I think that the case is too narrow to accomodate tubular chimes.

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: finiteguy)

Indeed a larger spacing will produce a softer sound.
    I like 'em loud so make 'em close as possible, but the further away - less loud. Adjust 'em so they can just kiss th' rod.

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: Scottie-TX)

For tone quality, they have to be far enough away that they strike and instantly back off to allow the bar to vibrate unrestricted. Usually 1/8" would do it. Tubular chimes don't sound that much better for the price. You're talking big bucks for that kind of conversion

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: shutterbug)

The key to a good, resonate sound is the case. Think of the chime rods or tubes as the guitar strings. You can use the same strings on a $50 guitar as on a $5,000 guitar, but you won't get the same sound.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: harold bain)

The case (Emperor model 300K) is a high qaulity walnut case. I painstaking assembled it myself. I have heard way better tones in smaller less expensive cases. Could the problem be the sounding board that the chime block mounts to? Not sure.

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: finiteguy)

Quote Originally Posted by finiteguy View Post
    The case (Emperor model 300K) is a high qaulity walnut case. I painstaking assembled it myself. I have heard way better tones in smaller less expensive cases. Could the problem be the sounding board that the chime block mounts to? Not sure.
    Yes, it's quite possible. Be sure the sound board is secured firmly to the case and that the chime block is very tight against it, and the rods are tight in the block. Lots of variables here, including possibly poor chime rods.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Chime Hammer Adjustment Emperor Clock (RE: shutterbug)

Where the hammers hit the chime rods will also affect the sound. The hammers can be moved up and down to experiment with the sound quality.
    Most modern, reasonable quality chime grandfather clocks have a solid, about one inch thick "U" shaped sound board attached to the backboard. Older clocks seem to attach the chime block directly to the backboard. The older clocks seem to me to have a louder chime.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"