Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 649 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B.W.C.Co. marked gold case.

Years ago got huge round gold case with model 57 Waltham 778659 in it. Looks new and I believe all original although dial is marked American Watch Company and movement Waltham Watch Co. Lever set and stem wind with let down screw. So I know the movement fairly well, but know little about the fine case. BWCCo means Boston watch case co. Case also marked Waltham warranted 14k. Maybe part of American Watch Co. history? Did WWCCo. exist at same time?

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: artbissell)

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Neuron)

Could be. Did not see Brooklyn listed. The letters are in the same dog bone outline as Waltham W.C.Co. Will try to scan an old photo. Perhaps WWCCo should be American Watch Case Co. I will look for Waltham case history. Within 2 minutes found they both existed at different times. AWWCCo. was early 1880s. Appreciate the good reference to Brooklyn.
    Last edited by artbissell; 12-24-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Hello Art,

Some information: American Watch Co. changed its name to American Waltham Watch Co. in 1885. It went through several name changes during 1920's and officially became Waltham Watch Co. in 1925. Company went bankrupt in 1954.

American Watch Co. manufactured watch cases until early 180'2 when it sold the business - needing more factory space for movement manufacture.

BWC Co. is probably - Baystate Watch Case Co. - I have seen some early U.S. Watch Co. Waltham watches (Dome Model) is case signed "BWC Co.". The watch was odd size, so it required a special case.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Andy Dervan)

"B.W.C. Co." is a well known and fairly common marking on watch cases for both Walthams and early Howards in the late 1860's, 1870's and 1880's. I can't cite a source right off the top of my head, but I believe it is well established that this marking stood for the Brooklyn Watch Case Company, which was a major watch case manufacturer of the period. I'll bet this info is documented in Neibling, however. (Why would the Bay State Watch Case Co. use the logo: "B.W.C. Co.," without an "S," anyway?)

The Boston Watch Company, which closed its doors in 1857, had its own case making department, but its cases are marked "B.W. Co.," not "B.W.C. Co." See for example, Ron Price's book on the Waltham Model 1857, for more details. Furthermore, nearly all surviving "B.W. Co." cases are silver, not gold. I have seen exactly two gold "B.W. Co." cases in 25+ years, including the one I own, which houses "Dennison, Howard & Davis" Model 1857 [sic] movement S# 3,330.
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 12-24-2010 at 01:33 PM.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Clint Geller)

Art, Your model 57 AWCo watch is marked Waltham Watch Company because that was a grade ( like the Wm Ellery & PS Bartlett) of the model 57 at that time. I also have a model 57 stemwind marked the same way.

Can you show us a pic of the case and movement?

Tom

Here is a close-up of the "B.W. Co." marking on my DH&D case, along with images of the front and back lids, showing the early, wrap-around style of hand-done case decoration characteristic of these cases. Ed Ueberall gets the photo credits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Howard Case Symbols.JPG   Howard Case Front SM.jpg   Howard Case Back SM.jpg  
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 12-24-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC

Smile Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Clint Geller)

So, to sum up:

B.W.Co. - Boston Watch Co.

B.W.C.Co. - Brooklyn Watch Case Co.:
    Niebling states 1865 founding in his book History of the American Watch Case, Whitmore Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, 1971
    Howard Lasser states 1873 founding in his article "The Story of Hayden W. Wheeler," NAWCC Bulletin, October 2005, 549-550.

W.W.C.Co. - Wadsworth Watch Case Co.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Kent)

Thanks, Kent, for the definitive reference!
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC

The first picture below is a confirmed Brookly Watch Case Co trademark. I have three Elgins dated 1887, 1895 and 1905 with exactly the same marks.

The second picture is an Illinois dated 1883 without the dog bone, which I assume is also Brooklyn. Maybe they added the dog bone between 1883 and 1887?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 3 Elgin.JPG   92 5 Illinois.JPG  

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: MartyR)

Neuron was first one right. Clearly Brooklyn. Matches Marty case back exactly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wal 57.jpg  

Hard time loading scans from old photos. Case number indicates newer than movement by quite a few years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 57b.jpg   57a.jpg   57.jpg  
    Last edited by artbissell; 12-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Tom Huber)

[QUOTE=Tom Huber;517027]Art, Your model 57 AWCo watch is marked Waltham Watch Company because that was a grade ( like the Wm Ellery & PS Bartlett) of the model 57 at that time. I also have a model 57 stemwind marked the same way.

Can you show us a pic of the case and movement? TOM: From the poor color movement photo print copy below could you confirm if the balance and jewel settings are gold? Is this a last best version of the model 57? 1875? Let down screw only in late model 57? Marty's case number 577xxx for 1887 is much lower so the case 814xxx is a lot newer?
    Last edited by artbissell; 12-25-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Hi Art, My watch is SN 808,766. It looks exactly the same as yours. My jewel settings are definitely not gold. The balance screws in mine have all the look of gold.

My watch is in a much later gold filled HC. The workmanship on the recase is very good, so it appears to be a jeweler recase. These have a male winding arbor and a special cutout in the bezel for the setting lever. So these can not be just popped into a new 18S case. They would have to have been jeweler fit. Probably done when the original case was damaged or wore out.

I would not say it's the best version of the model 57. I think the best version (grade) for the model 57 was the AT & Co grade.

Tom

Default Re: B.W.C.Co. marked gold case. (RE: Tom Huber)

Tom: Very interesting about yours and at least a couple of people really liked the old 57 to get the recase work done.