Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4333 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Rich

Default Waltham Traveler (RE: Rich)

I found this watch at a Flea Market this morning.

Dial is signed "Waltham".

Movement is marked "American Waltham USA - Traveler" with sn 14340020. To my untutored eye mvmnt appears to be un-jeweled?

Case is a Dennison 'Star' GF Half-hunter; "English Make" inside dust cover.

Could this be an export model? According to my sparse records, the date is around 1906. Confirmation and any other information will be gratefully received.

Thank you!

------------------
    Rich

Rich

Default Waltham Traveler

I found this watch at a Flea Market this morning.

Dial is signed "Waltham".

Movement is marked "American Waltham USA - Traveler" with sn 14340020. To my untutored eye mvmnt appears to be un-jeweled?

Case is a Dennison 'Star' GF Half-hunter; "English Make" inside dust cover.

Could this be an export model? According to my sparse records, the date is around 1906. Confirmation and any other information will be gratefully received.

Thank you!

------------------
    Rich

Steve Maddox

Rich,

As far as I know, Waltham never produced any non-jeweled watches. The Traveler was an "economically priced" model, however, and most (if not all) had only 7 jewels. This was the usual "minimum" for jeweled watches. Travelers were sold domestically as well, but it's my understanding that they were a "favorite" export model during the turn of the (20th) century era. Perhaps the model name has something to do with that, or perhaps it's just strange irony.

The Dennison case it's in was manufactured by the Dennison Watch Case Co., which was founded by Aaron Lufkin Dennison, one of the original partners in the American (Waltham) Watch Co. When that venture went through rocky times in its early days, Dennison left and eventually moved to England, where he founded his own watch case company. Perhaps interestingly enough, Dennison made a lot of the early "Oyster" cases for Rolex, and were responsible for the introduction of the notched case back, which is still used today.

The serial number reference I have indicates that the 1906 manufacture date you mentioned above is approximately correct.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

Rich

SM writes: "Hope this helps!"

It certainly does, Steve!

You are a scholar and a gentleman!

(Don't buy any wooden watches)

:biggrin:

------------------
    Rich

Jack wagner

Rich

I have a c1901 Traveler and can confirm it is 7 Jewels. Unlike yours my case Is marked (top to bottom) "Trade-then symbols for:sun moon and star - Mark - A.L.D(ennison) -
    English - Make"

My Traveler is a pendent set with no cut out for a lever on the bezel.

Look on the inside dust cover The interesting is the detail as it's marked "English Make Guaranteed to be made of Two Gold Plates with a Plate of Composition Between and to Wear 20 Years".

Probably thought us colonist need the explanation.

I can't seem to find a lift spring for it but it is an interesting case.
    Regards,
    Jack

Rich

Jw writes: "I have a c1901 Traveler and can confirm it is 7 Jewels..."

Thanks for the confirmation, Jack. Forgive my ignorance, I guess I was looking for little shiney things ? we all have to start somewhere! :biggrin:

Comparing the inside dust covers, my case is less specific than yours, proclaiming itself to be merely: "English Make - This case guaranteed to wear 10 Years" Huh! So you have the expensive model......

Seriously, Jack, I find it quite amazing. Guaranteed to wear ten years but ninety-five years on and the case is perfect ? not a scratch or other sign of wear to be seen. Pity the same cannot be said for this old codger.......

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers!

------------------
    Rich

The Traveler and Equity have the same 3/4 plate bridge design. The 19j Waltham- Howard used this same movement. this model was the basis for Howard's 1905 , 3/4 plate watches. These were the series 2,3,4,9 movements.

Steve Maddox

In addition to the "16 1/2 size" "Equity" type, Travelers were also produced in standard 16 size 1899 and 1908 models, both OF and HC types. A few may also have been produced in 16s 1888 models, but I'm not certain about that.

According to some reference books, 11 and 15 jewel models were produced in addition to 7 jewel ones, but I personally can't recall ever seeing any of those.

SM

Rich

Thank you Gentlemen, one and all - your input is greatly appreciated.

Referring to "American Pocket Watches", I discovered that EA46is virtually identical to my watch. The two minor differences are: (a) "Traveler" is marked below "Waltham - USA"; (b) Both visible wheels (?) are plain.

Once again ? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

------------------
    Rich

Spike

I have a model 1908 16S 7J grade 610 HC Traveler movement with a dust ring.

Questions: Did all Traveler movements have dust rings? All model 08 Travelers? All model 08 HC Travelers? Or?

Thank you!

Barry G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I guess I was looking for little shiney things...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a 7 jewel watch, the only visible jewel is directly in the center of the balance wheel (the wheel that rotates back and forth quickly wqhen the watch is running). It is most likely a man-made ruby, so it should appear red.

For more information on jewels, check out this little tutorial I've put together:
    http://barrygoldberg.net/watchguide/jewels.htm

Regards,

Barry

------------------
    My Online Pocket Watch Collection

Blog Entries

Jack, you probably know that Aaron Dennison was an American who settled in England after starting the American watch industry.

The language on the Dennison Moon Grade cases is the same as that on Burlington and other mail order "railroad" cases of the period.

The language is curious and almost looks like legal notice. One wonders if there was some legal or legislative activity going on that required the "full disclosure."

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Steve, I am afraid I don't know how to tell the difference. In the early Walthams they use deep red rubies in the highest grades since these were presumably harder. They were at least a lot prettier. I have seen the same thing on English watches from 1880 or so on with deep red rubies in special watches.

I know how to tell the difference in gemstone rubies, but there you have enough material to look for microinclusions and striae. But even then, experts can disagree on which stones are natural and man made.

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Does anyone know when they began the 'USA' distinction on these exports?

The picture below is a nice little model 99 Riverside tu-tone that is similarly cased to the Travelers mentioned here, but mine has a plain dial and I'm wondering if it is a correct case/dial/movement combination.

Regards,
    Mike

Rich

Just in case anyone else is experiencing a strong sense of deja vu, may I point out that I opened this topic almost exactly one year ago.

To see the topic reappear again after lying dormant for so long made me realise how Rip Van Winkle may have felt....

------------------
    'Rich'