Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1472 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Paillard Pocket Date?

Needs me some help finding the date on a Paillard (non metallic watch co.) pocket watch, been looking all over and can't find anywhere, I know you guys can help. Movement #1280053. Also, this customer just inherited 31 pocket watches and is looking to sell them, if interested will send all pics once I go through them all. Thanks

Smile Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: HJ Jewels)

There were a number of different manufacturers of movements for Paillard, which went under a few different names. You can find informaion about them in the Non-Magnetic Watch Co. Encyclopedia article.

Going out on a limb, I'd say that movement serial number 1280053 was likely to have been made by the Illinois Watch Company. If so (and we can tell you if you'll post some pictures), that Encyclopedia will have date information in its reference section.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: HJ Jewels)

We will almost certainly need clear, close-up photos of the movement, inside case back and dial for this one. If everything is not readable on the scans, please include text indicating everything that is engraved on the movement and on the inside of the case back. Paillard movements were made by a variety of Swiss and American watch companies under both the Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America and the Geneva Non-Magnetic Watch Co. names. The ownership of the companies is also quite convoluted, at one point two different firms claimed ownership at the same time, as the company repeatedly ran into financial troubles.
    Other companies bought balances and hairsprings from Paillard and sold them under their own names, often with the notation " Paillard's Non-Magnetic Balance and Spring" on the plates.
    Ed Ueberall
    The Escapement Home Page - Vintage Watch Restoration

Registered user.

Default Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: rrwatch)

Thanks for the info guys, here's some pics. Any info is appreciated, Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paillard Pocket 003_edited.jpg   Paillard Pocket 004_edited.jpg   Paillard Pocket 007_edited.jpg   Paillard Pocket 008_edited.jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: HJ Jewels)

Quote Originally Posted by HJ Jewels View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, here's some pics. Any info is appreciated, Brian
    It appears that Kent picked the correct limb.

18-size Illinois, (Model 4 or Model 6?)

Smile Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: LloydB)

It appears that the watch is a Non-Magnetic Watch Co. 18-size, 15-jewel nickel grade J.

The movement is missing the regulator spring and the gold appears to be worn off of the Non-Magnetic name.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: Kent)

The movement is missing the regulator spring and the gold appears to be worn off of the Non-Magnetic name
    In my experience the gold inlaid movement signature was only used on the higher grade Illinois Paillard Non-Magnetics, and I believe the silver colored signature is correct for Bryan's 15 jewel watch.

Does anyone have observations that would suggest otherwise?

Fred

Red face Re: Paillard Pocket Date? (RE: Fred Hansen)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
    In my experience the gold inlaid movement signature was only used on the higher grade Illinois Paillard Non-Magnetics, ...
    Fred
    Thanks Fred!

Only having paid attention to the higher grades of these watches, I was misled by the appearance in the A.C. Becken ad.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia