Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The dreamer in me lives on! (RE: dweiss17)

Nature’s Mysteries

My magnificently beautiful Johnnie II was quite upset with me yesterday. I had someone come over to help my bum knees and me put the ground floor rec room back into the grace it once held before the advent of my knee problems. Poor Johnnie II thought I had forsaken her. Why did Mr. Mom bring this strange person into the house and upset my daily routine? He knows I hide whenever the doorbell rings or any stranger comes into the house. Besides my litter box is in the rec room.

The rec room was stacked with far too much horologic material during my knee problems. Many boxes, trays, books and magazines with all kinds of parts watch movements and other stuff that just did not belong in a nice rec room were scattered on the built-ins. In addition, the large aluminum table in the center of this room was laden with a large accumulation of materials I had collected since my first advent into this horologic world.

Johnnie II did not understand I faced the situation and was getting rid of stuff that had been an eyesore to me every time I came home through the ground floor or went down to the rec room to find something I wanted or needed. Yesterday, to me, was a big relief in getting this once beautiful room [almost] uncluttered from my years of passionate collecting of horologic stuff.

I also re-discovered some material that should go to the archives of the NAWCC. At my present age, it would be a shame to leave portions of this interesting material to the scrap heap. My sponsor Fred Breitinger, a longer than 50-year member of the NAWCC and Chapter 1; had given me some very early material to read at my leisure. Before I joined in 1964, years earlier at the Chapter 1 meetings, Fred was the Sergeant-at Arms. For many years, he taught a clock repair class at the Chapter 1 monthly meetings.

I copy the first page of this pamphlet Fred gave me; it shows prices of various clock movements, early English and German clock making history and chime music. We often fail to honor the early members who were part of Philadelphia’s history and of NAWCC history as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails breitinger.jpg  
    Last edited by dweiss17; 04-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Among other horologic stuff I re-found yesterday were watch papers, I presume these were from the collection of Dr. Robert Ravel, he and wife Doris, were very early members of the NAWCC. If I remember correctly, both were in the 3xxx range of NAWCC ascension numbers. They were strongly devoted to the NAWCC and to Chapter 1, The Doctor held a number of posts in the NAWCC and wife Doris was elected as Chapter 1 President. I seem to remember Dr. Ravel bought much material from the Hamilton Watch Co. upon their closing. The NAWCC Museum profited nicely from his largess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old watch papers.jpg  

Blog Entries

This will take a little time to open...please wait!

Marines and friends of Marines, this article from the Denver Post is about the most famous photograph in the history of warfare, and it's originator, Joe Rosenthal. Iwo Jima, yes; BUT as YOU have never seen it before!

Long article about Joe, just a regular guy cameraman, and then a few of the hundreds of photos he took during his service in World War II. I thought I had seen most of the photos of World War II, especially about Marines, but I was wrong. These are graphic portraits of war as seen through the lens of someone who was in the middle of it on Iwo, Pelielu and Guam. It takes a while, but I assure you that you have never seen anything like these. Semper Fi,

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...-and-iwo-jima/

Blog Entries

Thanks for finding this for us Dan, every picture has an untold story that we will probably never hear. My Dad was in the Navy at North Africa, Sicily, D-Day and in the Pacific near the end of the war, never said too much about it, just have his pictures and letters to remember it by.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The dreamer in me lives on! (RE: richiec)

My home companion Johnnie II and her Mr. Mom [me] Daniel, take this time to wish you a Happy and Healthy Passover or Easter, whatever becomes you.

And, hopefully, we will do it again next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0565.jpg  

I have seen several photos of this cat now. A fine looking animal indeed and obviously a worthy companion! Happy Easter to you and Johnnie also----- and next year is looking pretty good for you at this point!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The dreamer in me lives on! (RE: RL)

Memories, Memories, and more Memories

George Burns, the eldest comedian of comedians used to sing a song, "I wish I were 18 again."

I will not be that vain [greedy]...as one of the oldsters in the NAWCC..."I wish I were 80 again."

I'd have no knee problems.

The sad part is...at that age...Frankie Weiss, Johnnie and Johnnie II would not have been part of my life
    until years later. But...my wife Evelyn would still be part of my life, however, very ill.

Of Evelyn, Frankie Weiss and Johnnie many wonderful memories and beautiful photos abound.

Blog Entries

Dan, I thought I was 27 again today, never want to be 18 again, too many teenage problems, dug a hole for a dogwood tree and planted it, edged the driveway and move stones from the back yard to the front yard. Cut the lawn, walked downtown and bought a dollar watch, a Westclox, that still runs and an old oiling can. Now I am sitting down, aching and the better half has asked me to repair the dresser under the TV, reglue it, aaarrrggghhh. There is only so much Advil in this world. Luckily the cat went out to chase birds otheriwse she would try to help me.

Default Re: The dreamer in me lives on! (RE: richiec)

Yep--I'll have to find it--but-- somewhere on my P/C I have a video of George Burns singing "I wish I were 18 again".

Blog Entries

Default Re: The dreamer in me lives on! (RE: RL)

to RL...do not look for it...just Google...George Burns singing "I wish I were 18 again." hit the full-screen button, the Jazz Bow tie
    he was weaning is half the size of his face. And, look at the faces of the older people watching him sing.

Richie...at one time before the neighborhood took away a [forest] to the left and north of us we had magnificent birds, Cardinals and
    Blue Jays nesting in our trees. While cats are doing what is natural...birds invading their territory are doing their heritage; the cat should be tethered or not let out where birds make their homes.

YES! I di wish I were 80 again...I'd have so many NAWCC friend members still alive. And, the joy of discovering new timepieces
    would still be in my thoughts. Not that it ever left me.
    Last edited by dweiss17; 04-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Blog Entries

I just watched a 10-minute [You-tube] video my nephew sent me. It is about the US Soldiers in France during the war period of
    1944-1946. I could not help but think…seeing all the tanks, jeeps and war material sent to France by the USA…what an effort that was to load all the ships and transport that equipment to France and unload it during a raging war.

I saw all the young men doing their righteous duty and could not help but think…how many of them never came back home to their loved ones. I never made it due to being a 4-F reject because to my life-long stuttering. At the time before my rejection, I was 27-28 years old and saw many young men on jeeps traveling to reporting stations to go over seas. Before being rejected, I did ask to be part of the topographic unit that did printing making maps and other material for our troops.

Two of my brothers did serve in the Army, one in New Guinea, the other in Panama. Both came home, neither one ever spoke of their experience during this terrible time in their young lives. I can imagine the heartbreak of the parents, wives, sisters and brothers and children of families that never saw their loved one again.

Even at this date in 2012…I am afraid history will repeat…Israel and Iran. Would I be safe in saying [religion] has killed more people than all the Wars combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...5e7U&vq=medium

Blog Entries

I apologize!

The other day I received an email with familiar names of NAWCC members, as well as names unknown to me. In a moment of stupidity, I forwarded the email message to some NAWCC members on my email list.

Not thinking too much that I might offend some of my friends and NAWCC members with its political content, the text was forwarded…I received a few replies from members exhibiting their discontent with my using their names in a manner that could smack of politicking. Two members had asked me to remove their names from my address book; I promptly did so.

The lesson learned, think before you email things that could be considered political to any of your friends and NAWCC members.

Again, I sincerely apologize.

Dan

Blog Entries

Increase in the NAWCC yearly dues

Just reading the notice that the NAWCC will need to increase our yearly dues from $70.00 to $85.00…gives me much to think about how many members we will lose because of the increase necessary to keep our great organization above ground.

It is no great surprise that the NAWCC needs a dues increase to support its ongoing health in these trying times.

My view is that the increase is [medically] necessary to support the physical health of the NAWCC. I do not know of any present member who will deem it wise to drop out from an organization that in every sense of the word is a boon to their health as a hobby…that is so full of friendship and needed information about our horologic world.

I do expect wailing and disillusionment from some members of our NAWCC who may tend to think that paying even $70.00 a year as dues is far too much. I know many of you will never have the opportunity to visit our leading North American Horologic Museum, I wish you could…you would then be able to see what your dues go for yearly. This includes expense for salary of our staff, maintenance of our physical property, insurance, and all else that goes with presenting to the public, one of the most beautiful of horologic Museums anywhere in this wide world we live in. Just to take a good look at the wealth of American watches and clocks on display at various times in the Museum would give the viewer the perspective to understand your dues goes for much more than being spent unwisely. And, our overseas horologic collection features many objects only seen in a Museum.

We have a wonderful horologic Library, with possibly the largest and best of horologic ephemera anywhere. You can visit, you can borrow, you can write or ask by email or phone for information on any horologic subject and you will be rewarded to the extent of your need.

The Bulletin you receive six (6) times yearly features easy to understood written horologic articles of every description. Many of the photos in these articles are in color; others in black and white. With your Bulletin, you also get the Mart booklet…also full of horologic information, sales, and buyers of watches and clocks. With advertisements that may help you solve a horologic problem for your watches or clocks by supplying or making parts you cannot get elsewhere.

With high hope we lose very few members who would consider a $0.29 increase in their dues each week, was more than they could afford or be willing to pay…like the email says…15 bucks is the price of a decent meal at many restaurants. It is my thought…one less meal during the year would do me no harm.

Blog Entries

here is my problem with this situation. they admit they will lose members, that doesn't bother them, they think that the added revenue will keep them afloat. maybe this year but what about the ensuing years as more people decide that too much is too much. my paycheck has not risen in over 10 years but everyone expects me to pay increasing fees and lowered interest rates, there comes a time when you start to eliminate things to survive, I started at magazine subscriptions, many of which I supported for years, next it was nights out with the wife, next it was bringing my lunch with me, next it was no coffee in the morning from 7-11, what can I cut out next? I am secretary of my local chapter and must be a member to be the secretary, well, we'll see what happens.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dweiss17 View Post
    I apologize!

The other day I received an email with familiar names of NAWCC members, as well as names unknown to me. In a moment of stupidity, I forwarded the email message to some NAWCC members on my email list.
    Dan, if you "ever" do send anything along again, be sure to put all your addressees in the "Blind CC" list. That way there won't be any problem with spam trackers or compromising anyone's email address, and if the receiver doesn't want to be on the list only you will know when they respond.