Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1408 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Dating Chauncey Boardman

Hello,
    I purchased a steeple Chauncey Boardman with a double fusee. The research on the clock based on the Chauncey Boardman label was 1810 to 1832. In 1833 a partnership was formed and then the labels were Boardman & Wells. I removed the works and the plate is stamped C Boardman with a patent date of 1847. What is the accurate date?

Thanks,

Default Re: Dating Chauncey Boardman (RE: rfh11)

Looking through Spittlers and Bailey, I note that Wells left the partnership in 1844. In 1847, both Boardman and Wells received a patent for a reversed fusee mechanism. It would be good to see pictures of case, label, and movement to let our experts have the best shot at providing information.

Here is a link to the patent on Google Patents.

Thanks for the information. Based on the patent application I can only assume that Boardman used labels that he previously printed. I would do the same. I will look closer at the label to see a printers mark is evident.

Thanks again

Chauncey Boardman was one of Bristol, CT's early makers, with a career spanning the decades from wood works to brass. In fact, he is generally credited with developing the "groaner movement".

The dates for the firm of Boardman and Wells (Chauncey Boardman and Joseph Allen Wells), based upon tax records, is 1832-43. However, some sort of ongoing production and connection existed between them until 1848 when Wells went bankrupt. It's all very confusing to me.

On 1/1/4/1847, Boardman and Wells were granted patent number 4914 for a method of attaching fusees to movements originally designed to be driven by weights. These movements are often found in steeple cases, as well as other types. The labels may say "Chauncey Boardman" and occasionally "C. Boardman, also by J.A. Wells".

For lots more info, see Roberts and Taylor, Forestville Clockmakers, pages 5-33 with the figures therein. There are nice examples of steeples with their fusee movements and labels illustrated. Frankly, I fined it a tough read, as there is endless minutia about land transactions, mortgages, etc. But the information is there.

Also see the American fusee clock thread, in particular:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=59464&page=2

At the top of that page, there's a great Boardman triple fusee steeple posted.

Please post pics of the clock, movement, and label, too.

RM