Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock.

This wonderful and somewhat rare clock showed up at a local auction last week, and I couldn't resist buying it. It is one of the very first half column and splat clocks produced. Jerome, Darrow & Co. was the first in a long series of firms with which Chauncey Jerome was associated as a primary partner. They operated from 1824 to 1826 producing reeded pilaster and scroll top clocks, and they originated the bronze looking glass clock, of which this is an example (minus the looking glass). Because of the design, wherein the whole front of the clock is the door, many of these have ended up on the floor over the years- they have a tendency to tip forward if left unattended with the door open. Luckily all three glasses in this example are still intact. Interestingly, there is no printer's name on the label.

These clocks were designed and produced during the pillar and scroll era, to compete with same. They were cheaper to produce and sell, and less delicate than pillars and scrolls, a decided advantage for peddlers transporting clocks over rough roads.

This example features a door with three glasses, a feature more commonly found on the reeded pilaster clocks. The beautiful, colorful, stenciled and painted tablets are in remarkably good condition, considering their age. I have seen very few original tablets featuring a ship.

This is a great example of what is available today, and at very reasonable prices. It also points up the importance of a good clock book library- at first glance, I thought this was a nice, but run-of-the-mill, half column and splat (except for the tablets, which I thought were exceptional), but a quick look at Spittlers and Bailey told me otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jd&co.jpg   jdcotab.jpg   jdcoship.jpg   jdcolabel.jpg   jfcodial.jpg  

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Peter A. Nunes)

What a wonderful clock, and in pristine condition, too!
    Jeremy

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

As Jeremy stated, in pristine condition. So good in fact that I wonder whether the owner kept it in an air-tight locker somewhere.

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Yes, it is in good condition, although there were several short pieces of veneer off the door cross pieces. Luckily, all but one piece were still in the case, and I was able to reattach them with hide glue. One piece is missing, just below the dial, as shown. The tablet has been touched up a bit from the back, as you can see in the attached photo. The movement looks to be complete, but of course in need of cleaning and probably a few bushings. I forgot to mention that the (apparently) original groaner style rectangular weights are with the clock, which I consider a bonus... they are often lost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jdcotabback.jpg   jdcoweights.jpg  
    Last edited by Peter A. Nunes; 10-24-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Peter A. Nunes)

Peter,absolutely beautiful, one that anyone would be proud to own.
    Was this door desgn with the columns as a complete unit an exclusive with Jeromes,Darrow or did others have this design?
    I have a similar clock with out a label,but the same full front door design and you have to really be careful when opening as they invariably want to "faint".
    Thanks for sharing,
    Bruce
    Es mejor morir de pie, que vivir de rodillas.....Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Bruce Barnes)

Congratulations!

A stunning clock that has everything going for it.

RM

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: Bruce Barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barnes View Post
    Peter,absolutely beautiful, one that anyone would be proud to own.
    Was this door desgn with the columns as a complete unit an exclusive with Jeromes,Darrow or did others have this design?
    I have a similar clock with out a label,but the same full front door design and you have to really be careful when opening as they invariably want to "faint".
    Thanks for sharing,
    Bruce
    Hi Bruce,

These case were produced by many makers, but were superceded by cases with doors within the sides, negating the "fainting" feature you so colorfully described. I think the three pane door may be unusual, and as I mentioned, most of these had mirrors in the doors (bronze "looking glass" clocks).

Chris Bailey mentions in his book "From Rags to Riches to Rags", pp. 8-9, that Jerome, Darrow & Co. were in business starting in the fall of 1824, and were dissolved by October 2nd, 1826, a very narrow window of time. He states that they produced reeded pilaster clocks, and that his succeeding firm, Jerome, Thompson & Co., were only known to produce reeded pilaster clocks. He goes on to say that although Chauncey Jerome claimed to have invented the bronze looking glass clock in 1825, it must have been in 1827.

Could this clock be the "missing link", proving that Jerome was making that case style before October 2nd, 1826?

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    Congratulations!

A stunning clock that has everything going for it.

RM
    Bob, I think you have a Jerome reeded pilaster clock... does it have a similar or identical label to this clock?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A. Nunes View Post
    Bob, I think you have a Jerome reeded pilaster clock... does it have a similar or identical label to this clock?
    It has the Jerome, Thompson & Co label. See:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=38723&page=4

You will have to scroll down a bit to see that clock.

Just to reiterate the chronology of the firms. According to Chris Bailey's Rags to Riches, etc, Chauncey, his brother Noble, Elijah Darrow, and Chauncey Matthews went into partnership in 1824 founding the firm of Jerome, Darrow & Co which was dissolved in 1826. Jerome then went into partnership with Asa Thompson founding Jerome, Thompson & Co which barely lasted a year into 1827. It didn't last long enough to appear on the Bristol, CT tax assessments.

With all due respect to Chris, I'm not sure that the assertion that the bronze looking glass clock was born in 1827 is correct. See Roberts and Taylor, Eli Terry and the CT Shelf Clock, second edition, pages 178-9, figures 83A, B, C. A stencilled pilaster and spat clock bearing the label of Jerome, Darrow & Co is shown which is said to be the earliest known bronze looking glass clock. This form, with the use of flat unreeded pilasters but ebonized WITH STENCILLING would seem to be a better candidate for a transitional form between the reeded pilaster and scroll clocks to the later usually 1/2 round stencilled column clocks. Note the triple divided door with the reverse stencilled lower table which reminds me of the one in your clock. Also note how the door goes all the ways to the bottom of the clock and there is no bottom board. This has lead to speculation that these clocks were intended to be hung on a wall....like a mirror.

As an aside, it would appear that Jerome loved flat pilasters on clocks. Go back through the Jerome thread for a miniature and a faux marble wall clock to see how he continued to use them decades later.

I know Chris says that Jerome, Thompson & Co made only reeded pilaster and scroll clocks. Apparently also may not be quite correct. See Roberts and Taylor Eli Terry and the Ct. Shelf Clock, 2nd edition, page 180 and 182. A picture of a bronze looking glass clock with a triple divided door by Jerome, Thompson & Co is illustrated on page 182, figures 85A-B. Of note, the door is triple divided as in your clock, with a mirror center tablet. However, I question the originality of the mirror. The pic with the door open reveals it is retained by rather new looking wood strips. Note that the bottom tablet of the clock illustrated appears to be decorated with stencilled flowers, much like the boarder of the middle tablet and the decoration of the lower tablet in your clock.

Great clock, but not so sure we have found the missing link here.

RM

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Bob, thanks for the reference... I was aware of those pages, but didn't associate them with Jerome and his companies. So this may just be the missing "half column clock", if not the missing link. It was only a hop, skip and a jump from 1826 to 27. After my last post I stumbled upon your nice Jerome, Thompson & Co. reeded column and splat- very nice.

Books. I love them.

Blog Entries

Very - Very Nice Clock. Congrats on such a fine acquisition.

Do you have a picture of the movement? By the position of the key holes, it looks to be a groaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A. Nunes View Post
    Bob, thanks for the reference... I was aware of those pages, but didn't associate them with Jerome and his companies. So this may just be the missing "half column clock", if not the missing link. It was only a hop, skip and a jump from 1826 to 27. After my last post I stumbled upon your nice Jerome, Thompson & Co. reeded column and splat- very nice.

Books. I love them.
    Thanks.

Also wish to hasten to add I'm not being critical of Chris' wonderful publication which I use and cite often. It was copyrighted in 1986, Roberts and Taylor's book in 1994. New information probably came to light during the intervening years.

RM

Default Re: Jerome, Darrow & Co., 1824-26- an early half column and splat clock. (RE: lamarw)

Quote Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
    Very - Very Nice Clock. Congrats on such a fine acquisition.

Do you have a picture of the movement? By the position of the key holes, it looks to be a groaner.
    Yes, it is a groaner. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 View Post
    Thanks.

Also wish to hasten to add I'm not being critical of Chris' wonderful publication which I use and cite often. It was copyrighted in 1986, Roberts and Taylor's book in 1994. New information probably came to light during the intervening years.

RM
    Yes, Chris Bailey has done more than almost anyone to sort out the tangled dates and relationships of all these makers, and he has made sure to publish it all for posterity, to boot. He is much missed at the ACWM! His retirement really marked the end of an era.

Here is a picture of the movement, which appears to be a conventional groaner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jdcomov.jpg  

Registered User Jerome collector's Avatar

All I can say is that there's been a wonderful run of exquisite, uncommon Jerome clocks within the last few months. The Markowitz JT & Co reeded pilaster clock, the LM Churchill & Co triple-decker (recently posted by Emiller), and now this early bronzed looking glass clock. Wow! Any one of those would be the icing on the cake for most collectors. Apparently there are still some rare ones out there, so I guess my collecting days aren't over yet.