Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1445 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Herschede model 10

Hello members. I was researching my clock that was given to me by my father whom he aquired from my grandmother when she passed away. I grew up with this clock chiming in my poppy and grandmothers home as a child. I am amazed at the quality...still running as new after 100 years. I had a question for the learned members here regarding it if I may.

There are three inputs to wind on the face. The middle one is for movement. The one on the left is for the chiming mechanism (i believe). What is the input on the right for? What I am winding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM3818.jpg  

Default Re: Herschede model 10 (RE: slingkey)

Slingkey,
    Not sure what order they would be, but the three winders do the following:

1- Time
    2- Strike- striking of the hour and half hour.
    3- Chime- powers the musical side

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Default Re: Herschede model 10 (RE: ChuckR)

Normally, from right to left as you face the clock, they should be chime, time, strike.

Blog Entries

slingkey:

Welcome to the message board! I have a clock identical to yours. The winding arbor on the right winds the strike on the hour that counts the time. I believe your model also plays your choice of three tunes. There should be a very small key arbor (I believe near the 5, but I will check that when I get home tonight and let you know) that if turned selects the melody.

If you look in through the glass on the right side of the hood you will see a drum with many pins on it. This activates the strike hammers to play the tune. As you turn the key arbor I just mentioned, you will see this drum move slightly forward and back to choose the melody.

You have a beautiful clock. Could you please post a nice, clear close-up photo of the dial for us? Could you also post a photo of the clock with the door closed?

Again, welcome!

RobertG
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Default Re: Herschede model 10 (RE: Robert Gary)

Thank you very much for the replies.

RobertG: Funny that you mention that. When I got the clock from my father I swore to him that the clock played a different tune when I was a child than what it was playing presently. To prove it I hummed the tune I remembered from childhood, and then reached in and actually plucked the exact tune that I remembered. When I looked at the face as you mentioned, there is indeed a very small piece of metal sticking out by the five on the dial. I would LOVE to change the chime back to what I remember it being as a child. The key I have for winding would not fit. How do I change this? I will snap a couple pics of the face and with the door closed right now. Thanks so very much for the information.

Here are a couple more pics. It's nice to know someone else has a clock like this one.

I tried the other end of the winding key and it does fit the smaller piece on the face. I looked in the right side but I don't see the melody wheel/block piece moving, but I do see a lever(?) that goes back and forth when I turn. Nothing changes regarding the tune though.

ps: I've done something wrong I believe. After attempting to change the tune I came back and the clock has stopped?? The pendulum will not keep swinging now. This disturbs me. It swings freely but will eventually stop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM3825.jpg   HPIM3827.jpg   HPIM3821.jpg   HPIM3820.jpg  

Blog Entries

Slingkey:

I will post more info when I get back home, which won't be until very late tonight, so it may have to wait until Saturday. I need to look at my clock movement up close. I haven't overhauled this one yet, so I don't remember details about the chime drum.

Thank you for posting the photos.

Mine has three small holes arranged in a triangle on the front door as if a plate of some kind was originally installed there. Does yours have these holes?

The serial number on the back plate of the movement indicates mine was made cir. 1928-29. I have been told these were made with spring driven movements for only about 6 months, then they were fitted with electric movements. The Herschede catalog shows only the electric version.

RobertG
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Mine does not have anthing like that on the front door. It is smooth. I did reach in and was able to change the tune manually with my finger. FANTASTIC!! Just like I remember. There is apparently only two choices of tunes I believe.

If you get the chance perhaps you could shed some light on what I have done to stop the pendulum from swinging. My father showed me once that the pendulum can become detached from the swinging mechanism and I checked this, but it appears intact. I've done something though.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Did you mean on the inside of the front door? There is indeed something there on this one. Not in a triangle, but four corners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM3828.jpg   HPIM3829.jpg   HPIM3830.jpg   HPIM3831.jpg   HPIM3832.jpg  

HPIM3822.jpg  
    Last edited by slingkey; 10-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Slingkey, welcome to the message board. The second tune on your clock is "Canterbury".
    I recall having the same problem with a mantel clock with this movement, that it stopped after changing the chime, but was fine after changing it back. But I don't recall what I found was the problem. But it will likely take a serviceman to fix this problem for you to get the second tune to play properly.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slingkey View Post
    Mine does not have anthing like that on the front door. It is smooth. I did reach in and was able to change the tune manually with my finger. FANTASTIC!! Just like I remember. There is apparently only two choices of tunes I believe.

-> posts merged by system <-
    Did you mean on the inside of the front door? There is indeed something there on this one. Not in a triangle, but four corners.
    slingkey:

I was referring to the outside of the door, but the three holes go all the way through. My guess is there was a presentation plaque of some kind attached for the original owner.

When I get an opportunity, maybe Saturday, I will take a look at the relationship between the melody drum and the rest of the movement to see if I can see what Harold remembers as causing the clock to stop when the melody is changed.

My case has a very high gloss finish. Does yours?

Harold:

Your are correct. This is a mantle clock movement. It even says so on the label on the inside of the door. This may give more credence to the comment that these clocks were fitted with the No.10 movement for only a very short time before switching to electric movements.

RobertG

Robert, my copy of the Herschede catalogue from 1927 shows this clock as pattern 452. Probably just a few changes to adapt the mantel clock movement to the longer pendulum. Wish I could remember what I found caused the clock to lock up when the chime was changed.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Thank you for the welcome.

Harold...the chime seems to be working perfectly, it's just that the pendulum would stop swinging. I have manually started the pendulum again all afternoon and it seems to have fixed the problem. Has been going for a couple hours now.

Robert...not really. It appears to me to have an almost Danish Oil hand rubbed finish, but without even that amount of shine. You can actually feel the grain of the wood with your finger. Perhaps it started out glossy and has aged to this over the years? The serial number on this one starts with 767 but I'm getting some conflicting info on the web regarding dating of these.

It is such a blessing for me personally to have this sound in my ears again. This has been a very good day indeed. Thank you gentleman.
    Last edited by slingkey; 10-21-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Bet the chimes sound great. I always wonder why Herschede never made many longcases with chime rods, rather than tubes.
    Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Herschede model 10 (RE: chimeclockfan)

Glad to hear it's working now. This site is the one I usually refer to for dating Herschede:

http://www.abbeyclock.com/history.html

Seems like 1927 could be about right, if you have a 5 digit number starting with 767
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Herschede model 10 (RE: harold bain)

Apparently not a permanent fix. I suppose after all this time it would be a good thing for a local "tune up". Any suggestions for the nashville area for a reputable repair person/shop?