Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 526 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging

I purchased a cuckoo clock off ebay. It was a described as a Vintage MIB Hubert Herr 302/1 - from the early 1950's. It measures about 7 inches tall. It was basically unopened in it's original box and never hung. I removed the wire clips from the bellows and lowered the chains. I placed the weights on the chains and hung it on the wall making sure it was level. The problem is that the pendulum wonít swing back and forth to keep the time going. The weight on the right side works fine (falls) and it does cuckoo when I move the hands to the hour. The weight on the left side is stuck right to the top but wont fall. The pendulum does give a tic toc when I push it but will not stay swinging. I noticed that the clock hands seem kind of tight when I move them but not sure how tight they should be. Will tight hands prevent the weight from falling? I hope the left chain is not off the wheel but I don't think it is. Need some advice...Thanks!

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: groverson)

Tight hands should not affect operation.
    Check to make certain weight hook isn't jammed in slot underneath. You should be able to remove the back and see that chain is on wheel.
    Even tho new in box, it may still need lube as original lube may have dried up.
    If all appears in order, you might try using a slightly heavier weight. Sometimes these cuckoos exhibit a sort of break-in tendency - that after running overweight for a while will later accept proper weight

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: Scottie-TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    Even tho new in box, it may still need lube as original lube may have dried up.
    more than likely.

clock needs a treatment just as a used one would. That is; dismantling and cleaning off the old lubricants from the pivots and pivot holes.

you could try to just oil it a bit with good clock oil (lots of info on that on this board) but you might run into the problem that the old lubricant starts to gum up the new oil very quickly.
    Antiekeradio = Wouter Nieuwlaat
    www.clockshop.nl www.antiekeradio.nl www.dafmaf.tk

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: antiekeradio)

Try tilting the clock in small increments---to the right---then to the left--and try swinging the pendulum.

It may simply be out of beat!

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: burnz)

Indeed it may just be out of beat:
    . I removed the wire clips from the bellows and lowered the chains. I placed the weights on the chains and hung it on the wall making sure it was level.
    While it was probably set up at the factory, there is a possibility that it is not in beat when level and it is FAR more important that it's in beat than that it's level. If it's not in beat when level, a simple adjustment can be made to provide that.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: Scottie-TX)

Thanks all. I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home from work. I printed out some instructions on Frankenmuth's website on how to place a cuckoo clock back in beat. Hopefully that will work.

I have an old small cuckoo clock that will not run either and I'm thinking that the movement is in need of a good clean up. It does not look particularly filthy but I was wondering wheather there is a way to clean the movement without having to take the movement all to bits. Any tips would be appreciated.

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: Oldfathertime)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfathertime View Post
    I have an old small cuckoo clock that will not run either and I'm thinking that the movement is in need of a good clean up. It does not look particularly filthy but I was wondering wheather there is a way to clean the movement without having to take the movement all to bits. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Anything but a Cuckoo, I'd say no. You can soak it in turpentine or some other grease cutter and scrub it with a brush paying close attention to the pivot points. It's easier to just buy a new movement though - and they don't cost much. Timesavers

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: shutterbug)

Sometimes dunking or dry cleaning works - sometimes not. Give it a try but don't use any acetone based cleaner as there are many plastic parts on some cuckoos.

Se problem. Without the pendulum attached, clock will run like crazy, weight comes down and, of course, the time advances very quickly with no way to regulate it. Add a pendulum, even a light one, and the clock stops. I see no indication that anything is binding. I'm puzzled. Ideas?

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: Bobphilip)

Sounds like out of beat.
    That and old oil.
    Since it is a new clock, I don't see why it would
    not be OK to just drop a little oil on the pivots
    to loosen the old oil. It is not like the old oil
    was dirty.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo Pendulum Wonít Stay Swinging (RE: Tinker Dwight)

We've got an old thread with a new contributor. It's likely that the movement is in need of service. It's generally cheaper to replace the movement. Can you post some pic's of what you have?