Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1481 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default J. Boss Pocket Watch Case

Could anyone tell me if J. Boss ever made a solid 14K gold pocket watch case? I have a J.Boss case marked 14K but it has the Keystone stamp with the Co. in the middle. The back is also stamped with the Keystone stamp. thanks...

Default Re: J. Boss Pocket Watch Case (RE: EKCreations)

Quote Originally Posted by EKCreations View Post
    Could anyone tell me if J. Boss ever made a solid 14K gold pocket watch case? I have a J.Boss case marked 14K but it has the Keystone stamp with the Co. in the middle. The back is also stamped with the Keystone stamp. thanks...
    EKCreations,

Welcome the NAWCC American Pocket Watch message board.

James Boss patented the "gold filled" watch case in 1859. Anytime you see a JBoss marked watch case it will be "gold filled" and not 14k solid gold.

The Keystone-Watch-Case Co. purchased the patent and trademark rights for the JBoss case from the previous owners and used it with their own trademark.

Robert

Default Re: J. Boss Pocket Watch Case (RE: Robert Sweet)

The "Crown" added to the JBoss trademark indicate a "25 Years" warranty. The trademark without the "Crown" will be 10K "gold filled" and will have a 20 year warranty.

After Jan. 1, 1924 a "guaranteed" marked case was prohibited by the U.S. Govt. They were only mark 10 or 14 "gold filled" after that date.

Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hamilton#JBoss-Trademark-12-23-2009.jpg  

Default Re: J. Boss Pocket Watch Case (RE: EKCreations)

I might add that some of the early J Boss cases were purposely marked in ways that were meant to fool buyers.

As you can see by what others have posted that these cases were meant to trick a naive buyer.

Bob

Smile Re: J. Boss Pocket Watch Case (RE: rschussel)

Hi EKCreations:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

You can read more about J. Boss cases in the Keystone Watch Case Co. wiki article.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia