Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1561 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Arthur Pequegnat clock Co. Kitchener, Canada. repair or replace ?

Grant, in Canada that Pequegnat clock would be worth far more money with its original signed movement than with a cheap Asian made replacement. I would go the extra mile to repair it.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Arthur Pequegnat clock Co. Kitchener, Canada. repair or replace ? (RE: harold bain)

I agree. If you can't build the gear needed, many in the NAWCC have the machinery to do it for you. Check with your local chapter.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Arthur Pequegnat clock Co. Kitchener, Canada. repair or replace ? (RE: harold bain)

Hey Grant-

Like Harold and Shutterbug, I'd recommend staying with the original movement. You can even salvage the original main wheel by reshaping the teeth and drifting a few pivot holes.

The damage you see to the teeth may not actually be that bad. A little flatness on the tips isn't usually a problem since the main wheel should mate with the second pinion on its ogive (the point at which the tooth shape goes from straight to round). The reason your main wheel no longer meshes with the second pinion is probably due to a combination of wear and tooth damage. Compensating for the wear on the pinion side of the second wheel may be all that's required to get them to mesh again if the tooth damage doesn't extend down past the ogive.

I agree keep the movement. You could advertise to find a repalcement wheel, or have a new one cut and put back on the shaft. Quite a few people are able to cut new wheels, if you aren't.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Grant, if it isn't the original movement (many of them are nickle plated) then you might be justified. But even Mark would never recommend replacing a 100 year old movement with a Hermle. I have never seen a Pequegnat without a signed movement, but that doesn't mean there are none. Living within 100 miles of where these were manufactured increases the value and collectability of them for me.
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Grant,

I run into a lot of Pequegnats, and have collected a few over the years. I have never seen a Pequegnat with steel plates! White finish, yes! Steel, no! My suspicion is, if you have one with steel plates, it is likely a Waterbury movement in it. I have heard that Pequegnat used some American-made movements, but would stand to be corrected if wrong.

Have you tried the magnet test on these plates? If you do, please let us know your findings.

Grant, could you post some pictures of the movement, front and back, so we can possibly tell you if it is an original. These clocks were made with brass, steel and nickle plated movements. Your clock dates to after 1916, as Kitchener was called Berlin before this (name changed during WW1). This clock on ebay would likely fetch over $400.00 in good original shape, possibly much more. If you could still buy a Pequegnat movement, replacing it might be more acceptable.
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Grant, and Doug, just looking through my Pequegnat book, which says that most, but not all movements were stamped with the name of the company.
    It also says that earlier movements were made of brass with brass bushings, and were then nickle plated in the basement of the factory. Between 1910 and 1915, when the cost of clock manufacturing started to rise, steel plates with brass bushings were used for the movements. These plates were often but not always nickle plated.
    Grant, I think you likely have an original movement.
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Grant, you have an original movement there. I would suggest you do the needed repairs, and keep it original, or package it up and sent it to me for some TLC :biggrin: By the way, I grossly undervalued it in my previous post.
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Grant, I do appreciate that Pequegnat clocks may not have been exported much to your part of the world, but we Canucks are mighty proud of our small contributions to world horology. This company was the most successful Canadian clock manufacturer of its time, and did compete with the American big boys in their prime. Watch for them on ebay, and you will see they are valued higher than similar cased American clocks. Good luck with convincing your customer to do the right thing by that clock
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Hi Grant yes i really like Pequegnats also, i have only one.If you could post a picture of the clock after it is finished it would be nice to see.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Kiwi, original Pequegnat clocks are worth beween 2-10 times more than american ones. This was one of the only Canadian companies, and they are rare, and extrememly desirable clocks.

Even if you're in New Zeland, it would be shame to replace the movement in a clock like this. It would be like replacing a 4 bell Sonora movement with a hermle 4 hammer movement.

I'm thinking that if you do some homework and can convince the owner that he has a rare and valuable clock (It will increase in value with time) he will probably spring for the repairs. If not, buy it - fix it and resell or keep as a rarity. Maybe charge your fellow horologists a fee to see it
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

yes, but does it run?? Just kidding . Glad your customer gave you the OK on this one, Grant. Sounds like you gave it the full treatment. :biggrin:
    Harold
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

That is great Grant, glad to hear the old clock was brought back to life.Good job.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/