Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1417 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seiko Kinetic with a 5M42A movement

Is the capacitor on this movment the key trouble spot?
    Last edited by FredWJensen; 09-02-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Seiko Kinetic with a 5M42A movement (RE: FredWJensen)

By pumping this watch "moving it to charge the capacitor" I was able to get it working for a few days. At least I know that the capacitor is the man problem. I ordered a new factory charged capacitor, to insure that it always has a good charge.

The capacitor change helps, but the problem I've had with mine is that when it goes dead, it takes forever to charge up again.

Default Re: Seiko Kinetic with a 5M42A movement (RE: Dave Haynes)

A new capacitor seemed to do the trick!

At some point, Seiko decided to use a rechargeable titanium lithium ion cell (LiOn) as replacement for the original "capacitor", so depending on the date of your original cell it could be of different construction. The newer battery is thinner than the original capacitor. That is why the kit from Seiko contains a new hold down strap...it has a new kink! Here is a copy of the addendum to the manual for a 3M22. It is a smaller cell than for the 5M series, but it will give you an idea of the increased run capacity and thus an increased charging time to full charge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3M21_22ASupplement.pdf  
    Non omnes qui habent citharam sunt citharoedi

Default Re: Seiko Kinetic with a 5M42A movement (RE: Al Schook)

thanks for the great info. With the replacement capacitor, will it run for years as long as the watch is moved "worn" each day?

As long as it is worn it should, barring a failure in the charging circuit. There is a charger that is made for the kinetics that couples ac power into the coils of the watch. I have never used one and I doubt I ever will considering their cost. I know it takes a lot to get the charge indicator to advance 30 seconds but I have done it with a 5M42 and a 43. I almost gave up swinging my wife's 3M22 but I finally got it to 30 seconds as well. I am now all swung out and have changed to Citizen Eco Drives. Let the photons do the work is my motto now!! They are all good though. They do not have to be opened only rarely so no dust and swarf is introduced at regular intervals like normal quartz watches and both types are keep very good time, at least the ones I have do.
    Non omnes qui habent citharam sunt citharoedi