Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1074 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations?

My clock guy said that my Atmos Clock Bellow needs to be refilled with gas.
    I gather there are someAtmos repair experts out there that have had their bellows refilled.
    Any recommendations on reliable and reasonable person that can do this?

It would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Popeye-Love This Forum!!!

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: popeye)

Mebbe this topic would be better placed in the "Atmos 400" forum.
    Let's go!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: Scottie-TX)

I don't think you will find anyone who will do this who won't be expensive. Mike Murray is one fellow who can do a good job for you. Google Atmos Man to find him.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: harold bain)

Popeye, check this out: http://www.kitztech.com/bellows.htm

I have no experience with Kitz but he has been advertising for more than three years and I've not heard any negative feedback anywhere.

FWIW, Atmos expert Mike Murray notes that the refilling process fails about 20% of the time, I presume that is based on actual experience since Mike does a lot of Atmos repair. He offers having bellows refilled but he doesn't do it himself, and the price is a lot steeper than Kitz.

I have used Kitz 3 times with excellent results and three week turnaround. $40.00 plus $12 return shipping and insurance. sales@kitztech.com
    Leon

may be a dumb question but how do you know if your bellows is bad? I have two Atmos clocks that run for a few minutes and stop. Would this be an indicator of bellow's refill? Thanks for any guidance with this.

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: Weight Driven)

WD, only running a few minutes or not isn't an indication of a bellows problem. You can manually wind the mainspring and then if the clock still only runs a few minutes you have other problems. It could be out of beat, could be a dirty movement, could be some problem with the fork adjustment, etc.

To check the bellows, first look at the position of the winding chain on the mainspring ratchet wheel. If the end of the chain is at the top of that wheel (first photo) then you have a dead bellows. On a good bellows (second photo) the end of the chain will be pulled around to the bottom of the ratchet wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7158 Left Side2.jpg   7415 Mvmt Closeup.jpg  

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: John Hubby)

thanks for the valuble advice John. Sometime this week I'll take a look at the Atmos clocks and determine what the problem is.

Registered user.

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: Weight Driven)

Hi
    Most barometers are evacuated so as to not be effected
    by temperature. I'd guess one would want to take advantage
    of temperature changes as well as preasure, for one of
    these clocks. That would make sense to fill it with some gas.
    If the bellows have a leak, I would think, that would need to
    be fixed before it would be worth filling.
    Dwight

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Intellesting! Reckon what gas is used? An inert gas? I would also think the process of leak detecting, closure and refill would be interesting to read.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    To check the bellows, first look at the position of the winding chain on the mainspring ratchet wheel. If the end of the chain is at the top of that wheel (first photo) then you have a dead bellows. On a good bellows (second photo) the end of the chain will be pulled around to the bottom of the ratchet wheel.
    John, I understand what you said and the photos indicated. But could you tell us at what temperature one should check. I wonder at what temperature the bellow will deflat to the point that the chain will be drawn in to allow the spring to wrap around the pulley. Enen the bellow is still good. It is winter time, some one may have the atmos clock in their garage when checking the bellow. I saw a atmos on ebay last week and the photo shown the chain wraped around the pulley.
    Ming

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: Scottie-TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    Intellesting! Reckon what gas is used? An inert gas? I would also think the process of leak detecting, closure and refill would be interesting to read.
    Ethyl-chloride, far from inert, highly flamable!

It has a large change in vapor pressure between 40 and 70 degress F which is how it makes the bellows work.

It's a by product of the petroleum industry.

Also used as a topical anesthetic.

Eric

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: marylander)

Quote Originally Posted by marylander View Post
    John, I understand what you said and the photos indicated. But could you tell us at what temperature one should check. I wonder at what temperature the bellow will deflat to the point that the chain will be drawn in to allow the spring to wrap around the pulley. Enen the bellow is still good. It is winter time, some one may have the atmos clock in their garage when checking the bellow. I saw a atmos on ebay last week and the photo shown the chain wraped around the pulley.
    Ming
    Ming, the following is from Mike Murray's bellows notes:
    The bellows have an upper and lower temperature limits and these are 86F and 46.4F respectively. If the temperature is constantly outside these limits, the bellows will not wind the mainspring.
    In other words, a GOOD bellows will be collapsed at temperatures below 46.4F and completely expanded at temperatures above 86F. The chain position will be at the top of the pulley in the first instance and wrapped around to the bottom in the second. If the clock is in a cold garage it won't work, or in a hot room same story. We had a thread here last year discussing this latter problem for a clock located in India in an un-airconditioned room that quit working during the summer heat.

A DEAD bellows, on the other hand, will stay completely collapsed at any temperature, the chain will NOT move and its position will be at the top of the pulley. So, if you have a clock in normal room temperatures and the chain is at the top of the pulley you can be sure it has a dead bellows.

Registered user.

John, Thank you very much for your education. It is very clear now.
    Ming

Default Re: Atmos-Bellow Gas Refill Expert Recommendations? (RE: marylander)

Yeah, thanks ERIC! Hidsight 20/20. Musta gone braindead.
    Ethyl-chloride, far from inert, highly flamable
    I do know that ether is used in bourdon tube thermometers - same principle acting here.
    I guess that leaky bellows would still respond to changes in barometric pressure but suspect that temperature changes are responsible for more changes than pressure in the clock.