Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1256 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification

I recently purchased a Ridgeway triple chime, moon dial, second hand, lights up, with unusual curved glass on the sides. Wondering the model and value or original price. Registered serial number: 89048407. Someone please help me. Much appreciated!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: antiques)

Hi, antiques, welcome to the message board. We are not allowed to give valuations on the message board.
    Your Ridgeway clock was made in 1989. It's value was at it's highest when originally sold, much like a new car. I've worked on a few clocks with lights in the case, and also lighted pendulums.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: harold bain)

Thank you for the info, but do you know the model# of this style clock? Or, do you know anyone who could look up the serial number? Thanks!

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: antiques)

Your Ridgeway curio clock is a modern day clock. A "google" search (using Ridgeway curio clock) revealed a dozen or more models, one of which could be yours if it hasn't already been discontinued.

Photos are needed to assist anyone that may try to identify your clock. The general description posted isn't sufficient for identification. There is no known serial number listing for serial numbers of modern day clocks.....

Best,

Richard T.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: Richard T.)

Yes, please post photos.
    I have a couple of Ridgeway catalogs (one from the 1990's and one from the 1970's) I'd be happy to look up and see if your model is included, but we need to see pictures.
    Thanks.
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Question Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Yes, please post photos.
    I have a couple of Ridgeway catalogs (one from the 1990's and one from the 1970's) I'd be happy to look up and see if your model is included, but we need to see pictures.
    Thanks.
    Im having the same problem as antiques is having, plus my clock sounds pretty much the same too. Here are some pictures of mine and was wondering if you could lookup and see if this model is in one of your catalogs?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! There's a small tag on the inside that has Dial V8 , Model 381, MVMT CC, Finish Thornhill Oak, Setup # 102188 if that helps any.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT1356Again.jpg   PICT1357again.jpg   PICT1358again.jpg   PICT1360again.jpg  
    Last edited by MoneyCount; 11-03-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: MoneyCount)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyCount View Post
    Im having the same problem as antiques is having, plus my clock sounds pretty much the same too. Here are some pictures of mine and was wondering if you could lookup and see if this model is in one of your catalogs?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! There's a small tag on the inside that has Dial V8 , Model 381, MVMT CC, Finish Thornhill Oak, Setup # 102188 if that helps any.
    Hi, MoneyCount.

Welcome to the message board!

Hmm, member "Antiques" was asking for the model number of his/her clock, and it looks like you already have the model number of yours: model 381.

I went ahead and looked through my catalogs and unfortunately didn't find yours listed. But yours may have come out a couple/few years earlier or later my catalogs. There were a few clocks in my 1990's-era catalog that had passing resemblances to your clock, but had differences as well. But based on the similarity I would hazard a guess that your clock dates from approximately the 1990's, or maybe the 1980's or 2000's.

Perhaps someone more familiar with Ridgeway serial numbers (or with a different catalog than mine) might be able to comment further.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't of more help. Good luck!
    John
    P.S. Just noticed that all the clocks in my 1990's catalog have 4-digit model numbers. This, plus the fact that the model numbers in my 1977 catalog range from 112-337, tells me that your clock with a 381 model number probably dates from sometime between 1978 and the 1980's. Just guestimating.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 11-03-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
    John C.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Hi, MoneyCount.

Welcome to the message board!

Hmm, member "Antiques" was asking for the model number of his/her clock, and it looks like you already have the model number of yours: model 381.

I went ahead and looked through my catalogs and unfortunately didn't find yours listed. But yours may have come out a couple/few years earlier or later my catalogs. There were a few clocks in my 1990's-era catalog that had passing resemblances to your clock, but had differences as well. But based on the similarity I would hazard a guess that your clock dates from approximately the 1990's, or maybe the 1980's or 2000's.

Perhaps someone more familiar with Ridgeway serial numbers (or with a different catalog than mine) might be able to comment further.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't of more help. Good luck!
    John
    P.S. Just noticed that all the clocks in my 1990's catalog have 4-digit model numbers. This, plus the fact that the model numbers in my 1977 catalog range from 112-337, tells me that your clock with a 381 model number probably dates from sometime between 1978 and the 1980's. Just guestimating.
    Thanks for your help. I havent been able to find the exact model either. Was just trying to find the name of it. Sounds better when you say you have a Ridgeway Richardson II or Clarksburg than a Ridgeway Model 381. The first 3 #'s of serial are 880, would you guess 1988?

Sounds better when you say you have a Ridgeway Richardson II or Clarksburg than a Ridgeway Model 381.
    I agree.

The first 3 #'s of serial are 880, would you guess 1988?
    Not sure about that one....

Good luck!
    John C.

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

I agree.

Not sure about that one....

Good luck!
    Maybe I'll email Ridgeway with pics. and ask them.
    Again Thanks for the help.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

The first two numbers are the year it was made (1988). If your movement is a Hermle, it will also be date coded.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Ridgeway Grandfather Clock Identification (RE: harold bain)

MoneyCount
    The Setup # is usually the date it was set up at Ridgeway, 10/21/88. Like Harold stated if the movement is Hermle is will be date coded. If it is 1988 the date code will be the letter A.
    I have found the setup # to match the date code too many time to think otherwise.
    Frank
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Antiques
    May your GF has a tag in it with a setup # like MoneyCount's, it is usually glued on the backside of the dial, about 2" square.
    Frank