Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1285 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Bulova Accutron 214 question

Hi Friends,
    I have just received my first Bulova Accutron 214 and it seems to be gaining time masivly.
    I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction as to the
    cause.
    Many Thanks
    Gary

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulova Accutron 214 question (RE: Dutto11)

Gary,

These watches were designed to run on a 1.35-volt mercury (Renata 387)cell which has been discontinued, long since. The alternate is the 387S (as I recall), but any alternate is 1.55 volt. Some Accutrons gain like crazy with the higher voltage. Sometimes the solution is to re-phase them, but that doesn't always work. If re-phasing them doesn't work, then the tuning fork and the circuit aren't compatible, and either or both must be changed. There is a cell called an "Accu-cell" which has been put on the market. It uses a 1.55 volt cell, but it is fitted with a resistor which, once the cell is in the watch, provides 1.35-volts. On a battery tester, they show 1.55 volts, but under load, they are 1.35 volts. The core of these is a standard cell. And once you buy one of these, the cell can be replaced once it dies, and the rest of the unit re-used. Just remember how it goes back together!

The process of re-phasing one of these involves a meter specifically designed for the purpose, and following a very precise set of procedures. You might want to check around and see if there is anyone nearby who is equipped to do this for you. These are a whole different kind of watch. And they can be trashed very easily if handled by someone who is not familiar with them. A word to the wise, so to speak!

Default Re: Bulova Accutron 214 question (RE: doug sinclair)

Doug,
    Thanks for that and I have the original battery in it at the moment so not sure what it is.
    I will take the battery cover off and check it out.
    There is an expert on Bulova watches close to where I live so I let him look at it.
    Cheers
    Gary

Default Re: Bulova Accutron 214 question (RE: doug sinclair)

A minor correction on the Accu-cell comment. They had a resistor in the very early design but now have a diode that makes for a much more stable output. I use them in my "problem" 214's and have had very good results. Of course the cell is not the only thing that can cause a 214 to run fast. It is extremely important that the movement is clean and properly oiled, and the index fingers are properly adjusted by a 214 expert. Do your due diligence in researching the watchmaker you choose to do your cleaning and repair jobs. Be sure to choose someone who has good references from satisfied customers.