Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1337 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question

Hello. I'm new to the board. I just started buying pocket watches. My first watch is an L. Reymond from Geneva, Switzerland. I believe the case is called a Hunter Case, it is key wind, 40 mm round, 51.8 g in total weight.

I'm not sure if it is 14 kt or 18 kt. I don't want to test it since it may scratch the watch. It is engraved "N131033 L. Reymond Geneva".

Would anyone have more information from a book or knowledge as to whether it is 14 or 18 kt, and the number of jewels the watch has ? What would be the approximate value ? - it would be nice to know. Approximate age ? Any other information would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you.
    Seth

Default Re: L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question (RE: 19thcenturyonly)

Welcome to the board First off I have to tell you that, according to the board's policy, we are unable to tell you any value of any watch here, sorry. Second I believe it has 13 jewels. Third, does the inside of the cover of the watch have any markings on it? If you could post a picture of that we might be able to tell you what, if any, the markings for gold content might be. Lastly I would date it to the middle to late 1800's. It is a fine example of a swiss watch during that period. Again there may be others that can give you more info. This is just one man's observation. Tom

Default Re: L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question (RE: th90a9)

Tom, Thank you. I believe it says " 3 2 3 3" inside the cover, and "FAST" "SLOW" on the movement. Those are the only additional markings I can see. I haven't taken the movement out so I'm not sure if there are other markings there.

Those numbers are the serial number of the case. If no other markings are on the lids then I would say that it probably is gold-filled. You could have it tested. There are jewelers that have an electronic gold tester. But I would say that cases that were made during this period of time had to have markings of gold content on their cases by the assayer's of their country. I doubt if you would find any other markings on the movement with the execption of a movement serial number. Swiss watches made during this time were made in what they call the "Cottage industry" for export. Many were not marked by makers. Still a nice watch. Tom

Default Re: L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question (RE: th90a9)

Welcome to the board, Seth, and welcome to watch collecting

Pritchard lists a L S Reymond in Geneva (no date) and refers to a "high quality minute repeater" made by them. She also refers to two firms in Geneva named just "Reymond", with no further detail. That's not particularly helpful for you.

The movement of your watch looks a middle quality and not uncommon movement. The case looks far more interesting, attractive and in very good condition.

I echo Tom's comment that unless you have markings on the case to suggest it is solid gold, it probably isn't. Your post implies that you have been told it is solid gold - do you have any evidence? Incidentally, given the visual value of the case I would definitely advise against acid testing.

Default Re: L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question (RE: MartyR)

Thanks Marty.

I was told by the watch dealer I purchased it from that it was solid 14kt gold. I didn't see it tested. Now starting to question whether it is since I can't see a marking. I plan to go back to the dealer and ask him to show me how he determined it was 14kt solid gold.

Quote Originally Posted by 19thcenturyonly View Post
    I was told by the watch dealer I purchased it from that it was solid 14kt gold. I didn't see it tested. Now starting to question whether it is since I can't see a marking. I plan to go back to the dealer and ask him to show me how he determined it was 14kt solid gold.
    That's exactly the right thing to do, Seth.

Default Re: L. Reymond Pocket Watch - Question (RE: MartyR)

thanks !

Everything worked out ok. It is a solid 14kt. watch case. The dealer told me it was electronically tested. He scratch tested it in front of me and it was 14 kt. Another dealer put a high powered magnet up to the case, so i know for sure it's solid gold.

Blog Entries

I cant see any of the pictures, are they links?
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by 19thcenturyonly View Post
    Everything worked out ok. It is a solid 14kt. watch case. The dealer told me it was electronically tested. He scratch tested it in front of me and it was 14 kt. Another dealer put a high powered magnet up to the case, so i know for sure it's solid gold.
    That's good news If possible, you should ask the dealer for a certificate of some kind --- a dated letter would be fine --- describing the watch and confirming he has carried out these tests. If you want to sell this watch in the future, the buyer is going to have the same doubts that we had, and would want to get the watch retested himself, but a certificate like this might satisfy the buyer (provided that the place you bought it from is a known and reputable shop).

It is certainly a fact that continental makers were pretty casual about assay marking I have an unmarked case (except for a tiny unreadable mark which may or may not have been an assay mark) but no-one will ever doubt that it is 18K because the watch and case were sold by Cartier