Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4504 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default My hands won't move!

I just finished cleaning a 16s Waltham pendant set movement. It is running great, but when the clutch is in the setting position for several minutes, the hour and minute hands stop moving even though the watch is still running. The cannon pinion seems to be tight enough, as there is ample resistance when setting the hands. But I know it has to be slipping if the hands aren't moving.

It does fine under normal use so I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I've just never seen it happen before. Any ideas out there?

Regards,
    Mike

Default My hands won't move! (RE: mikeh)

I just finished cleaning a 16s Waltham pendant set movement. It is running great, but when the clutch is in the setting position for several minutes, the hour and minute hands stop moving even though the watch is still running. The cannon pinion seems to be tight enough, as there is ample resistance when setting the hands. But I know it has to be slipping if the hands aren't moving.

It does fine under normal use so I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I've just never seen it happen before. Any ideas out there?

Regards,
    Mike

wynter

Mike

I hope I?ve followed your post correctly. The hands not moving with the pendant in the set position is no problem. As you describe the hands will often move for a few minutes in the set position. The hands then stopping can be from the fact the cannon pinion is just not made to pull the through the large amount of friction and weight in a setting mechanism. Also the setting mechanism isn?t made to pulled by the cannon pinion.

Well if your not confused by the above I?ll be surprised, I know I am! The bottom line is that you have no problem.

Wynter

Steve Maddox

Mike,

If your hands won't move, how were you able to type your message above? :biggrin:

But seriously.....As Wynter suggests, the problem you think you have really isn't a problem.

Setting mechanisms are intended to move the motion work, and thus the hands, not the other way around. Many (if not most) American-made pendant set movements, have devices that are designed to disengage the setting mechanism in order to facilitate timing the movement out of the case. Perhaps you watch has this feature as well, if you know what to look for. In a Waltham, it should be a thin "lever" that pulls out from the rim of the movement, about 1/8" to the side of the winding hub. Just snag the "lever" with your fingernail, and pull it straight out until it stops. Of course, you should push it back in again before returning the movement to its case so that the setting mechanism will be reactivated!

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

Thanks fellas. I had just about come to the same conclusion, after receiving similar information privately.

I've cleaned dozens of PS movements and I just wonder why I've never seen this before. And I always let them run uncased for several hours, sometimes a day or so, before timing them and casing. Maybe this cannon pinion is just slighlty too loose.

Thanks again to all.

Regards,
    Mike

Steve Maddox

....or maybe the gearing in the clutch in this particular watch is a little loose, and it's binding when the motion work tries to turn it. Who knows -- but as long as the hands set smoothly when the stem is turned, and turn without stopping when the watch is cased and running, you don't have a problem.

SM