Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilbert Clocks

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Here is another Gilbert Manufacturing Company clock. I don't find an exact match in Tran's book among the column clocks. It seems to me to be somewhat similar to the 4 column New York clocks with the wafer weights. There is a printer line at the bottom of the label, "Winsted Printing Company".
    Has an unsigned 30 hour OG type movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert column clock_0062.jpg   Gilbert column clock_0063.jpg   Gilbert column clock_0065.jpg   Gilbert column clock_0066.jpg  
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    That patent date really narrows down the mfr. date of this to a 3-year period (1868-71). Nice to be able to get so close to a date after 140 years. (Of course, I haven't had a date in about that long, myself)
    I guess both these clocks are from about the same period, from October 9 1868 when the Gilbert Manufacturing Company was formed, to April 2. 1871, when a major fire burnt the factory down, and the company was dissolved.
    Had a date last night, took my wife to the drive-in
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: harold bain)

Here is an earlier Gilbert OG, with a Fenn tablet.
    Label has Winsted Printing Company on the bottom.
    Made by Wm. L. Gilbert & Co., Winsted, which dates it between 1851 and 1868.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert OG_0067.jpg   Gilbert OG_0068.jpg   Gilbert OG_0069.jpg  
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Very impressive clocks, Harold. I'll add a couple more. One is a gingerbread, the Capitol No.44 with a portrait pendulum 9CA. 1913, if I remember; the other the Round Top, possibly late 1870's, maybe a bit later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capitol No. 44 (1).JPG   Capitol No. 44 Pend (2).JPG   Round Top.jpg  

And one more, my Capitol #45 with portrait pendulum. Shows from 1904 in Tran's book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0572.jpg   100_0573.JPG  
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    Both of my clocks have signed Owen movements.
    Any chance of a pic of the signature?

I have a Gilbert Talledaga (will post pic) that has an Owens gong.

About the glass refference you made in above quoted post.

I have become a bit skepticle about the accuracy or maybe better put, the assumed limitted or singular view of Trans representation for a given clocks glass tablet artwork.

I think that we assume that a glass may be a replacement because it does not match the pattern shown on the tablet.

There may have been multiple designs but the catalog may have chose one favored design and just forgo advertizing the other simular designs or optional designs.

My 30 hour Talledaga for example has very very simular, but not same, pattern as found on Trans book.

I thought originally it was a replacement, but have found evidence that the glass is original as well as the art work.

I looked for years on ebay for another Talledaga and for some strange reason two listed at nearly same time. I bought one and now own two Talledagas. One is 30 hour and the other 8 day. I kept pictures of the one I did not buy for documentation purposes.

The second one I own, the 8 day, has exact same pattern as the Tran book.

Both I think are original glass tablets. Both are slightly wavy and have small evidence of bubbles in the glass. Both are hardly wavy at all.

This is also why I belive Gilbert glass may have been superior to other glass manufacture. It may have been a unspoken selling point.

The point being is the glass on many Gilberts looks like new replacement glass. It took me a good amount of time to find the bubbles mentioned above.

I think allot of people assume that thier Gilbert clock's have replacement glass simply because the glass looks as good as newly manufactured glass.

RJ
    [Discovery is about to be destroyed by the birth of a new star]
    HAL 9000: I'm afraid.
    Dave Bowman: Don't be. We'll be together.
    HAL 9000: Where will we be?
    Dave Bowman: Where I am now.

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: RJSoftware)

Quote Originally Posted by RJSoftware View Post

I have a Gilbert Talledaga (will post pic) that has an Owens gong.

I have become a bit skepticle about the accuracy or maybe better put, the assumed limitted or singular view of Trans representation for a given clocks glass tablet artwork.

I think that we assume that a glass may be a replacement because it does not match the pattern shown on the tablet.

There may have been multiple designs but the catalog may have chose one favored design and just forgo advertizing the other simular designs or optional designs.

My 30 hour Talledaga for example has very very simular, but not same, pattern as found on Trans book.

I thought originally it was a replacement, but have found evidence that the glass is original as well as the art work.

I looked for years on ebay for another Talledaga and for some strange reason two listed at nearly same time. I bought one and now own two Talledagas. One is 30 hour and the other 8 day. I kept pictures of the one I did not buy for documentation purposes.

The second one I own, the 8 day, has exact same pattern as the Tran book.

Both I think are original glass tablets. Both are slightly wavy and have small evidence of bubbles in the glass. Both are hardly wavy at all.

This is also why I belive Gilbert glass may have been superior to other glass manufacture. It may have been a unspoken selling point.

The point being is the glass on many Gilberts looks like new replacement glass. It took me a good amount of time to find the bubbles mentioned above.

I think allot of people assume that thier Gilbert clock's have replacement glass simply because the glass looks as good as newly manufactured glass.

RJ
    My reference was to Owen's glasses specifically on the clocks that he made under his own name. I think it is fairly certain that he used a very specific type, e.g., like the one here. Mine are definite replacements. The glass is certainly not old.

I will try perhaps tomorrow to get some pix of the movements; I have none at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Here is an earlier Gilbert OG, with a Fenn tablet.
    Label has Winsted Printing Company on the bottom.
    Made by Wm. L. Gilbert & Co., Winsted, which dates it between 1851 and 1868.
    Nice clock but being the proverbial wet blanket, based upon the pics, don't think it's a Fenn tablet. Hard to tell, though.

RM

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM, I am far from a Fenn expert. You could be right
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    RM, I am far from a Fenn expert. You could be right
    Just call me "Uncle Fenn-ster"?

Okay, no more pictures from old TV shows.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UncleFester.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 08-10-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: right-size picture

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Gilbert clocks I have owned. Amphion, Amphion cut glass pendulum, black mantel( my first clock) Champion Cabinet Clock, Gilbert Column, Miniature Hollywood,Janiero, Laurel, Maranville, Observatory, Psyche, Steamer w/portriat pendulum, Hanging Reg. #11, Hanging Reg. # 66, Standing Reg. #9, loose portriat pendulum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert Amphion 2.jpg   Gilbert Amphion Pendulum.jpg   Gilbert Black  Mantle.jpg   Gilbert Champion.jpg   Gilbert Column.jpg  

Gilbert Hollywood.jpg   Gilbert Janiero.jpg   Gilbert Laurel.jpg   Gilbert Maranville.jpg   Gilbert Observatory.jpg  

Gilbert Psyche.jpg   Gilbert Steamer.jpg   Gilbert Reg No 11.jpg   Gilbert Reg No 66.jpg   Gilbert Standing Reg No 9.jpg  

Gilbert Portrait Pend 2.jpg  
    Last edited by jacks61fd; 08-10-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: change sequence

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: jacks61fd)

Nice assortment of Gilberts, Jack. Do you still have any of them? The miniature Hollywood is actually called the "Belfair." There was an old advertisement for one posted on the old Gilbert Clock Co. discussion group site.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: RJSoftware)

Quote Originally Posted by RJSoftware View Post

RJ
    As requested, the pictures of the movements from the Owen clocks. Excelsior, the 2 on the left; the Metis, the 2 on the right.

I agree that the glasses shown in the catalogue picrures in Tran's books are not the only designs that a particular clock could have. The glass designs were very much mix-and-match, as it were.

That said, however, and as I alluded to above, the Owen shelf clocks had a very distinctive, almost delicate, etched pattern to them, around the edge of the glass and framing the pendulum. I have seen only one up close and personal, and it was quite nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Excelsior Mvmnt 1.JPG   Excelsior Mvmnt 2.JPG   Metis Mvmnt 1.JPG   Metis Mvmnt 2.JPG  

The first Gilbert Curfew. Tran shows it from the 1879 catalogue. Mine, however, has a later movement, and at some point I need to begin to find one that is more appropriate, but . . . . The finial also is not original but matches the color well. Overall, I am reminded of a sumo wrestler by this fellow. It is 24" tall to the top of the finial. Tran says 25", and that may be the difference in finials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curfew.jpg  

Default Re: Gilbert Clocks (RE: jacks61fd)

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post
    Gilbert clocks I have owned. Amphion, Amphion cut glass pendulum, black mantel( my first clock) Champion Cabinet Clock, Gilbert Column, Miniature Hollywood,Janiero, Laurel, Maranville, Observatory, Psyche, Steamer w/portriat pendulum, Hanging Reg. #11, Hanging Reg. # 66, Standing Reg. #9, loose portriat pendulum
    Very nice assortment of Gilberts!

RM