Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1566 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default French inlaid mantel clock

Hello!

I just purchased this French mantel clock at an auction last night for $20.00!
    It is a black wood case with what I believe to be mother of pearl inlay and perhaps some tortoise shell. The movement was pretty loose when I bought it and the dial is badly cracked with the "spider web" effect. The dial and movement are marked: Marc Paris 1324 and then what looks like a fraction. I can't make it out. Also the clock was serviced in 1930. The repair person marked his initials into the front plate of the movement. Signed the inside of the case as well affixed his business sticker inside and signed the back door of the clock. His name is everywhere on this clock. If anyone knows anything further on this clock such as production dates, authenticity, etc please post!

Thanks!

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0268.jpg   000_0270.jpg   000_0271.jpg   000_0272.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: ticktock19852004)

Hi, Neal. Looks like a silk thread suspension, which should date it to the first half of the 1800's. Can't go wrong at the price, the movement would bring more on ebay.
    Not a maker I have heard of. Great deal
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: harold bain)

From Baillie's Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, "Marc, Henry. Paris. ca. 1800. Clock in porcelain case Virginia M(useum)."
    Jeremy

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Nice clock!

I'm going to start going to auctions.

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: RickB)

Ticktock:

Over the years, I have had a few of this type of clock, in various woods and inlays. They always have silk suspensions. They are, in fact, the ancestors to the later marble clocks housed in belgian marble, and are quite rare. People mistakenly take them for cheap wooden versions of the marbles: which is in fact, the other way round!

Marble clocks did exist, but they were of expensive marbles. The availability of suitable cheap marble, was hampered by the problems with Belgium. Before Napolťon's First Empire, Belgium belonged to Austria, who acquired them from Spain in 1713, after the wars of the spanish succession, where Louis XIV was on the wrong side. He had used belgian marble for Versailles earlier in his reign, but his bad luck at the hands of Marlborough and friends, put Belgium out of bounds to the French, until Napolťon altered the political map of Europe, opening up belgian trade with France. Hence the mid nineteenth century flood of black marble clock cases, with the advent of modern factory methods: already pioneered by the likes of Japy, with regard to the movements. There was a slight hiccup after the Second Congress of Vienna, convened after the bad year of 1848, when the status of Belgium changed yet again, and tariff barriers stopped export of the marble, for a period.

These wooden clocks are "gems" and I have a real soft spot for them.

(I have improved the pictures: hope you don't mind)

(note for grammarians: since I have lived on the european mainland, and do a lot of writing here, I now use the continental "non usage of capitals in adjectives", and forget to press the "shift" key when writing in English! <forget the forget>)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0270.jpg   000_0268.jpg   000_0272.jpg  

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: laprade)

Hello!

Thank you guys for the information. This movement is a silk thread suspension, but someone has installed a suspension spring. When I do the overhaul on it (it needs it) I will return it to the silk thread suspension. Thank you Lamparade for enhancing the pictures. My camera wasn't acting right when I took the pictures and they were dark.

I just love this clock and have decided that it is a "keeper". I buy and sell a lot of clocks, but there are certain ones that stay here.

Thanks!

Neal

It's really too bad about the dial. Often this is caused by someone over-tightening the screw that holds the movement in place (which is usually behind the dial near the 6 o'clock numeral.

The case is beautifully inlaid. It looks like brass decorations in the photos, but it's hard to tell. Regardless of the materials, it's very well done. The clock has very early style hands also.

I'd date it to around 1830-1840. It's a fantastic piece for 20$. If you can afford it, you should see if the dial can be repaired (not replaced). There are specialty enamelers who could probably repair (re-fire) the dial, but I'm not sure. You'd have to do a bit of research on this.

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: Sooth)

Hello Sooth!

Yes, that is the only part that bothers me about this clock. The dial being damaged. I wasn't completely sure if it could be restored. I will do some research and see what I come up with. I just want to make sure to keep the dial original to the clock.

Thanks!

Neal

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Neal, we have had some good reports about Proclocks and their dial restorations. May be worth contacting Bob Crowder for an estimate.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: French inlaid mantel clock (RE: harold bain)

Hello!

Thanks Harold, I will get in contact with him.

Thanks!

Neal

Great clock Neal.
    Those 12 years have really paid off with the eye for the great! Find one for me!
    Robin