Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1560 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker?

This is a German grandfather clock. I think it has the companies initials of HWA or HVA. They are so close tgether and stylized that I can not tell. There is also a German name set into the back of the mechanism, which I did not recognize. It is composed of three or four words, with the first one engraved in cursive. It is a bim-bam strike on the half-hour and hour with 4-hammers and 4-hammers on an 8 rod system.

Can anyone help me identify the maker and perhaps the genral time frame of its construction?

The same stylized capitol letters are also present on the base of the winding chains. The face does not appear to be solid copper or brass, but feels like a thinner metal, which is plated with that coloration. Hope these clues can help someone solve these clock questions for me~!

I've been holding out on the Gothic Colonial Clock and my wife is letting me choose this German one or that one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails german1.JPG   germanface1.JPG   germanweights1.JPG   germanmechanism1.jpg  

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Keithkobold)

Hawina. They did lots of these 8 hammer bim-bam strikers. DUFA and Gustav Becker did some, too.
    Justin A. Olson

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: chimeclockfan)

See this previous thread, particularly, the fifth post for information on Hawina.

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: chimeclockfan)

Hawina is the trademark name. If I remember correctly the maker is Hans Winterhalder.

I have a similar clock by the same maker, round top, bim bam strike probably from the 1910-20 era.

Best.

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HansWint2..jpg   HansWint1..jpg   hawinatmk.jpg  

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Richard T.)

Thanks guys. Once I got the first lead on Hawina, I searched that...and read the fifth article that was recommended to me! All I needed was a clue in the right direction as this website is full of information.

As far as HWA being "cheaper" or prone to lesser quality (which the faceplate definietly is in this case, as I stated earlier), the mechanism seems to be very good quality. The front and back plates on the mechanism are as thick as the plates on my 9-tubular Herschede mechanism. The pendulum on this clock was "hung-up" on a chime rod that had been bent and when I unhooked the pendulum, its leader crutch just took off like a horse in a derby race!

By moving the minute hand forwad, I could hear the engaging click and watched all the gears move properly on the half-hour and hour. However, none of the hammers were striking the chime rods as the fastening nut on both rod posts had loosened and the rods were hanging limp almost upside down.

I think that is why no one had bought it at this sale, as eveyone thought it was broken, hence a "broken price" was placed on the clock. I may just pick it up tomorrow as the mechanism has a strong desire to tick away!

Any comments on the HWA mechanism? Am I misreading this mechanism? It looks very solid and of high quality to me compared to other clocks I have at home.

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Richard T.)

When I first saw this thread I got all excited, thinking Keith's clock might help to identy mine, which has no markings.

However, although the styles are very similar (especially the numbers on the dial), the movements and other aspects are quite dissimilar.

Oh well.

Nice clock, Keith!
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

In this flash picture, you can clearly (I think) see the HWN logo ina circle near the base of the mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails germanlight1.jpg  

Mom told me to say that there's a nine-page article on Johann Ludwig Winterhalder aka Hans in the October 2009 NAWCC Bulletin (pages 568-576) entitled "Heanina, Hawina, and Johann Ludwig Winterhalder in America."

The logo is shown below -- a trade ad from the 1925 Adressbuch.

Zep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heanina - Figure 7.jpg  

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: zepernick)

Quote Originally Posted by zepernick View Post
    Mom told me to say that there's a nine-page article on Johann Ludwig Winterhalder aka Hans in the October 2009 NAWCC Bulletin (pages 568-576) entitled "Heanina, Hawina, and Johann Ludwig Winterhalder in America."

The logo is shown below -- a trade ad from the 1925 Adressbuch.

Zep
    Ah, it's by that guy Stevenson, again. Well, he's pretty good. For members, here is the article link. Unfortunately, those who are not NAWCC members will not be able to view it.

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Hi Keith.
    To see the similarity between your clock and a DUFA that I own, please see my earlier post "Please help date german grandfather clock". (Please search for posts by Merc.
    Initially I thought your clock was a DUFA
    Merc.

Default Re: German Oak Grandfather Clock Maker? (RE: Merc)

Here's the thread that Merc is referring to.

Cheers,
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

I have a Hawina Bim-Bam movement and clock that I bought in Germany back in 1974. It has been a great performer in my home ever since. It has moved from home to home and only needs a little cleaning and oil every couple of years.

I also bought a three weight, Westminster, Hawina movement on the internet about 5 years ago and built a grandfather case for it. Likewise, it has worked flawlessly and is an awesome movement.

I think the Hawina line were supposed to be cheaper and a less expensive clock back in the 1920's when they were built. They are big, heavy weight, well made movements compared to today's new grandfather movements.

I sure have enjoyed mine, along with the excellent Lenzkirch grandfather movements that I have.

Steve