Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4067 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    rg

Default What does Solid Gold mean?

A gold filled watch case is a case made of a lesser metal with gold on the surface, i.e., gold plated or gold filled. When this gold surface wears off, it is said that the case shows "brassing" ( the metal under the gold is showing). Is this correct?

I sometimes see watches advertized not as gold filled or plated but as "solid gold", usually 14k. Does this mean that the watch case is made of gold alloy, lets say gold 14 parts and 10 parts of another metal, created when these metals were melted down and mixed together and then stamped into a watch case. Such a case would never show brassing. Is this correct?

rg

Default What does Solid Gold mean? (RE: rg)

A gold filled watch case is a case made of a lesser metal with gold on the surface, i.e., gold plated or gold filled. When this gold surface wears off, it is said that the case shows "brassing" ( the metal under the gold is showing). Is this correct?

I sometimes see watches advertized not as gold filled or plated but as "solid gold", usually 14k. Does this mean that the watch case is made of gold alloy, lets say gold 14 parts and 10 parts of another metal, created when these metals were melted down and mixed together and then stamped into a watch case. Such a case would never show brassing. Is this correct?

Blog Entries

Default What does Solid Gold mean? (RE: rg)

Originally posted by rg:

I sometimes see watches advertized not as gold filled or plated but as "solid gold", usually 14k. Does this mean that the watch case is made of gold alloy, lets say gold 14 parts and 10 parts of another metal, created when these metals were melted down and mixed together and then stamped into a watch case. Such a case would never show brassing. Is this correct?[HR][HR]
    Part 1 Yes, after heavy wear GF cases wear out and BRASS showns--this depends on the quality and "yr. to wear" of the case

Part 2 Solid throughout--no BRASS!

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club