Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1533 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!)

Good Afternoon! I have an Ecclissi watch with movement number 956414, date at 6. The battery finally died but it still didn't work after replacement. Tried again in case of bad battery, still no luck. Can anyone tell me a) if there's something I can try to see if it's just "stuck" or something or b) where I might be able to find this movement?

My ex-father-in-law was a watch maker and repairman, he tried to teach me back when. I sure wish I had taken him up on his offer! Watch guys are very hard to find these days.

Default Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: wowzem)

Probably what you have is another bad battery or are you sure you put it in with the right end up? Could there be corrosion on the contacts, sometimes even light dust/ dirt or oil from fingers can break the contact. If you have a voltmeter you can check the battery. Otherwise I have no idea if the watch worked fine before. Sorry

Blog Entries

Welcome,

I am not familiar with the brand name on your watch. But this sort of behaviour is typical of quartz watches when they have some miles on them. Any solution short of a thorough job is likely to be only short lived. The number you have given doesn't help me identlfy the movement in your watch. The ultimate solution is likely to be to replace the movement rather than repair it. Can you supply a picture of what is inside the case?

Cool Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: doug sinclair)

I have a magnetic inductor device that induces a current into the coils with a magnetic field; Sometimes this will unstick bound gears and allow the watch to run. It takes a minute to do and sometimes can unstick a clogged movement.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzem View Post
    Good Afternoon! I have an Ecclissi watch with movement number 956414, date at 6. The battery finally died but it still didn't work after replacement. Tried again in case of bad battery, still no luck. Can anyone tell me a) if there's something I can try to see if it's just "stuck" or something or b) where I might be able to find this movement?

My ex-father-in-law was a watch maker and repairman, he tried to teach me back when. I sure wish I had taken him up on his offer! Watch guys are very hard to find these days.
    Hello,

In all likelihood, the movement probably has either a bad circuit, dirty gear train, or both. Stimulating the gear train, as other have mentioned, may start the watch (if the circuit is intact) but this will probably be a short-lived, temporary solution and the watch will stop again. The cheapest, most effective, and proper solution is simply to replace the movement.

This is a rather inexpensive, but good quality movement manufactured by ETA. I think it's an older one because I don't see this particular model number very often. It is still available from supply houses, such as Otto Frei, for $16.95.

I hope this helps!

Dale

Default Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: FredWJensen)

Thank you all so much. This is an older watch, but I love the design and it is all sterling silver. I've never seen another like it and would like to continue wearing it if possible. I'd love to get a new movement and will try the supplier mentioned. I'm charging up my camera so I can post a picture if I can't locate a movement. Thanks to all!!

OK, I found the part number at Otto Frei but the description is for a "circuit board". I'm guessing this is not the whole movement? That's the only number I could find on the movement for identification! Suggestions?? Thanks again, JJ
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Now I've found a movement as well. Do I need to buy both movement AND circuit board? That's gonna be $38...
    Last edited by wowzem; 07-05-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Smile Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: wowzem)

Your safest bet would be to get the entire new movement only. This includes the circuit board already installed and ready to run. Should come with a new battery too.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: FredWJensen)

It appears as though Dale was right on when he identified the movement as ETA 956.414. How I missed that I will never know. Perhaps the lack of the decimal point in the original post. This movement repairs very well in the hands of a good watchmaker. If you are planning on replacing it, make certain that you get the model with the calendar at the 6:00. If it is not available, the model with the calendar at the 3:00 (955.414 ?) would do, but it would require that the calendar ring be switched for the one on your original movement. A task NOT to be taken lightly for the uninitiated! And, no! You won't have to buy both the movement AND the circuit assembly!

Cool Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: FredWJensen)

I would try to magnetically spin the gears first! That may work and save you a lot of work. Have you every installed a new movement?

Default Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    It appears as though Dale was right on when he identified the movement as ETA 956.414. How I missed that I will never know. Perhaps the lack of the decimal point in the original post. This movement repairs very well in the hands of a good watchmaker. If you are planning on replacing it, make certain that you get the model with the calendar at the 6:00. If it is not available, the model with the calendar at the 3:00 (955.414 ?) would do, but it would require that the calendar ring be switched for the one on your original movement. A task NOT to be taken lightly for the uninitiated! And, no! You won't have to buy both the movement AND the circuit assembly!
    This particular movement is available from Otto Frei with the date at 6:00.

Default Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: th90a9)

Thanks Fred, Dale, and Doug! OK, so I can just order the movement and that's the whole works. That's only $25, not bad.

Dale, I found the movement on Otto, thank you. I could barely see that teeny tiny number on the movement and I'm quite sure if there was a dot there I never stood a chance of seeing it. ;o)

Fred, I have NEVER changed a movement. I'm checking it out. Don't laugh. Unscrew the winding stem so the gizmo will come out, then take the face off and put it on the new movement. How am I doing so far? I'm not sure about the hands and how to get them off to get the face off. I really, really want to fix my watch and if I knew how to magnetically spin the gears I would do it in a heartbeat. If you can tell me how, I'll try anything once, twice if it's fun!

Doug, you have the cutest dog ever. I live out in the sticks and IF I could find somebody who would do this, I am quite sure they would charge me enough to make it not worthwhile to fix. I really should learn how to fix this stuff, I could probably do OK since there's nobody up here. How do you go about learning if there's nobody to learn from??
    Last edited by wowzem; 07-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Sometimes I have had luck just barely nudging the second hand a few times when they are stuck. Or sometimes you can reach into the back of the movement with a sm scrwdriver and gently rock the wheel. Probably any decent jeweler will test it for you and find out if it's a circuit problem, all they have to do is lay it on an analyzer.

If you fix it you will be hooked on watch repair, so be very careful.
    good luck,
    bw

Smile Re: Watch doesn't work after changing battery (twice!) (RE: bwApisonTN)

The problem with learning to repair watches is you have to purchase all the specialized tools. I have already spent over $5000.00 and still need stuff. A decent set of screw drivers alone will cost you at least 75$ to 125$.

http://www.esslinger.com/horotecturbopulsetester.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by wowzem View Post
    Thanks Fred, Dale, and Doug! OK, so I can just order the movement and that's the whole works. That's only $25, not bad.

Dale, I found the movement on Otto, thank you. I could barely see that teeny tiny number on the movement and I'm quite sure if there was a dot there I never stood a chance of seeing it. ;o)

Fred, I have NEVER changed a movement. I'm checking it out. Don't laugh. Unscrew the winding stem so the gizmo will come out, then take the face off and put it on the new movement. How am I doing so far? I'm not sure about the hands and how to get them off to get the face off. I really, really want to fix my watch and if I knew how to magnetically spin the gears I would do it in a heartbeat. If you can tell me how, I'll try anything once, twice if it's fun!

Doug, you have the cutest dog ever. I live out in the sticks and IF I could find somebody who would do this, I am quite sure they would charge me enough to make it not worthwhile to fix. I really should learn how to fix this stuff, I could probably do OK since there's nobody up here. How do you go about learning if there's nobody to learn from??
    To replace the movement, you'll need at at least one pair of high quality tweezers, a pin-pusher, hand puller, finger cots, hand press, and silicone grease. Anything less will produce less than optimal results. These will cost $150 or so for Swiss tools.

Without the correct tools you could damage the hands, reinstall the hands improperly, damage the dial, damage the new movement, decrease the likelihood of water resistance, etc. Actually, these things might happen even if you have the correct tools!

If you still want to try it AND you buy the tools, I'll make you a step-by-step video tutorial that shows exactly how to do it.

Dale