Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1377 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Watch running backwards???

I have a Illinois Central 12s pocket watch a friend sent me to switch back into it's original case. I had cleaned it a few months ago and put the movement in an open face case until my friend could get the hunter case fixed. He got it fixed and send me the watch and case.

The watch seemed to be running ok last evening where I had it sitting on my watch timer. This morning it had wound down ( I assume ) so wound it up. The winding was smooth but got a little less smooth as it wound so I need to look into that.

Regardless I gave the watch a little shake and it started running but it ran backwards. The second hand was going counter-clockwise, I kid you not. What would cause a watch to run backwards?

Thanks!
    Bruce

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: bbodnyk)

All I can say to that is, that had this phenomenon occurred tomorrow rather than today, the old saying applies:

"To have a happy fourth, don't have a fifth on the third!"

All kidding aside, I suspect a busted mainspring which, by some queer quirk of circumstance has 'kinked" in the barrel and has begun to wind up backwards. IMHO there would be no other explanation.

Registered user.

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: doug sinclair)

You must have assembled the watch backwards. If you put the dial side towards the back it would appear to run backwards.......

Sorry but I am only joking.....

I tend to agree with d.s. You have a broken mainspring and the watch will run backwards only a short time.

Now if you tell me it runs backwards for 24 or more hours, I will start buying lotteries. That is a miracle!

O/T When I was 15 (long time ago) I had a moped which I could start backwards. By pushing it just the right amount backwards when releasing the clutch the motor reversed.
    I had lot's of fun demonstrating to my friends that my old 1956 model moped had a reverse gear. And I could switch into forward by just waiting till the motor almost stopped and then took of again....

You could possibly sell that watch to David Blane to use as a magic prop......
    Last edited by Skutt50; 07-03-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: Skutt50)

I guess the click busted from winding backwards. Biggest clue is that he had greater difficulty later when winding harder. Either that or click is installed backwards. Probably mainspring installed backwards too.

The escapement probably does manage to run backwards. Probably just manages to get some impulse, enough to run but unstable.

Interesting

Wonder how hard it would be to alter a watch to do that?

RJ

Registered user.

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: RJSoftware)

Or the mainspring is not defective and the problem is that there is an obstruction between the mainspring and the center wheel giving zero power to the escapement. When you shake the movement it started moving backward because of the sliding effect of the pallet jewel shape against the escape wheel teeth just like the early electronic balance wheel motor in which the force is coming from the escapement and not from the mainspring barrel.

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: le arsi)

I was away from home for a week so finally got back to my backwards running watch. It turns out when I took the main barrel out the main barrel cover was no longer snapped into the barrel. I removed the mainspring, put it back in and carefully put the cover back on. After putting it all back together the watch is running clockwise again.

I only wish I had taken a video of the watch before fixing it.

Bruce

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch running backwards??? (RE: bbodnyk)

I have one that I modified to run sdrawkcab, a number of years ago. Then I had a dial refinished with the numerals sdrawkcab, as well. Ideal for the person for whom 24 hours in a day are insufficient! With this one, there are 48 hours in a day. Runs good whenever it's wound.