Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock (By: KurtinSA)

The serial number is covered a bit by tape residue in the pic, but it is 5722.

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock (By: Chick Curry)

Here's an update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurthposto:h1.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	341921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurthpendule5.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	341922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurthbackplateposto:h.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	341923  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 04-28-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Removed oversize photos

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock (By: Chick Curry)

Quote Originally Posted by R Phillips View Post
    Well after looking through quite a few books and a lot of digging online, I have failed to find a clock with the same pendulum as this one. I initially suspected that this might be a Philip Hauck, but now I am thinking it is a JUF.
    When you rotate the disc, weights move in and out from the centre and the two indicators show the approximate rate adjustment. I haven't started on this one yet, just wanted to get some background for the customer if possible.
    Thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

-Rob (Watchmaker/Clockmaker)
    Rob, thanks for posting the info and photos of your clock. As Kurt and Eric have already noted it was made by W. Wurth & Co., and Plate 1440 is the correct back plate. That plate is incorrectly identified in the Repair Guide as are ALL of the Wurth back plates, either being shown as by JUF or by Kienzle.

The "two dial" pendulum with your clock was granted design protection by DRGM 257636 on July 13, 1905 and a three-dial version was protected by DRGM 270879 on January 26, 1906. This is the fourth two-dial version now in my data, I have seen one of the three-dial versions but that was years ago and no photos or other data are available. These pendulums work on the basis of the weights being pivoted so that a rotary gear system inside the disc can rotate them inward or outward to change the timing. The pointers on top of the disc are mounted on the weight pivot shafts and show the relative position of the weights.

The celluloid dial on your clock may appear to be a downgrade from the metal or enamel dials also available, however at the time it was considered a higher quality addition to clocks. Your clock appears to be complete and all original, and you did an excellent job cleaning it up.

I am moving this to the "Post Your W. Wurth & Co. 400-Day Clocks Here" thread for ongoing discussion and archival purposes.

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock (By: etmb61)

Quote Originally Posted by etmb61 View Post
    That is a very scarce Wurth pendulum! I've only recorded three of them. There are several posts about it in the "post your Wurth" thread.

Eric
    Think yourself a lucky chap. I've never seen any. I have seen umpteen thousand clocks.

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock

Here is the pendulum in question, as you can see it is made from steel and not much care and attention is paid to appearance or quality. The central wheel has very shallow 'teeth' that engage the shallow pinions of the two arbors that the hands of the indicators are on. There is no need for two of these, and the reason they designed it with two is for symmetry and weight I'm guessing. The two arms that are spring loaded to hold the shallow pinions to the larger wheel are meant to move freely, and in this case they were bent and not functioning properly. The indicator arbors are easily displaced, there is nothing to stop them being lifted out of their lower bearings, and then the indicator will cease to work and sit at an angle. Despite being riveted, they are functional even now, and after adjusting the arms and the clearance for the tension spring, both are moving freely.

Name:	Wurthpendulum1.jpg 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	341959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wurthpendulum2.jpg 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	341960  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 04-29-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed oversize photos

Default Re: Help ID a 400 day clock (By: R Phillips)

Quote Originally Posted by R Phillips View Post
    Here is the pendulum in question, as you can see it is made from steel and not much care and attention is paid to appearance or quality. The central wheel has very shallow 'teeth' that engage the shallow pinions of the two arbors that the hands of the indicators are on. There is no need for two of these, and the reason they designed it with two is for symmetry and weight I'm guessing. The two arms that are spring loaded to hold the shallow pinions to the larger wheel are meant to move freely, and in this case they were bent and not functioning properly. The indicator arbors are easily displaced, there is nothing to stop them being lifted out of their lower bearings, and then the indicator will cease to work and sit at an angle. Despite being riveted, they are functional even now, and after adjusting the arms and the clearance for the tension spring, both are moving freely.
    Rob, thanks very much for posting the internal works photos for the pendulum. One thing that our users can't see without a complete disassembly is the spiral cut plate on the bottom that moves the weights in or out from center. That plate is part of the bottom cover; if one looks closely at the side view and bottom view of the pendulum you can see the knurled edge. That bottom plate can be turned and is what actually changes the position of the three weights to regulate the time.

Sorry, I should have included that! Here is the view with the bottom plate removed. You can see the spirals that the weights track in as they move. It very much reminds me of an old Pocket watch movt holder I still use regularly.

Name:	Wurthpenduleunderside.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	342020  

Rob, thanks much for the photo! That completes the story about how this pendulum works. Actually for those who have seen them this same principle is used for the Kaiser Universe pendulums that are hidden inside the base of each clock. The Kaisers have two adjustable weights.