Month's Goal: $300, Received: $260.00 - (87%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3023 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Replating Brass

J.S.H.

Default Replating Brass

Can anyone tell me how to replate brass and what equipment might be needed? I have some cherubs and other ornaments off an old Gibert I would like to restore. Thanks!

J.S.H.

Default Replating Brass (RE: J.S.H.)

Can anyone tell me how to replate brass and what equipment might be needed? I have some cherubs and other ornaments off an old Gibert I would like to restore. Thanks!

Registered user.

JSH
    I would try to use some of these wax type polishes - cannot give you product names in US.

They deposit a mixture of metal dust and wax, and can be buffed up.

I am not sure at all how brass can be plated, as it is an alloy, but am sure that it has been done.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Hello J.S.H.,

A Brass is typically not plated on any object; it was used for marine clock cases. A silvery nickel finish is often plated on brass and other metals.

Brass is a composite made from Copper & Zinc; its color and hardness depends upon their ratio. Sometimes a small amount of lead is added to the mixture.

Andy

If you are talking about cherubs like on a mirror side clock, they are most likely pot metal and not brass....they can be colored by rub n buff...a commercial product that is a wax like Mike talked about. Pot metal can be plated brass or nickel.

You might try Caswell Platings Plug n Plate Kits. I have not used one myself so cannot speak to how well they work.

J.S.H.

Thank you for your help everyone. I apologize for not replying sooner.

Brass is rather difficult to plate because it's really two quite different metals- copper and zinc- which have to be deposited simultaneously in the right proportions. If it's going on steel or pot metal, the base needs to be carefully prepared (pickled in acid) to remove oxides, then it has to be pre-plated with another metal, such as copper, often twice. Current densities, pH, salt concentrations, and temperature need to be carefuly controlled. Brass plating was not commercially developed until mid-20thC, and used highly poisonous cyanide solutions. Most commercial platers shun it.