Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1507 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Cool How to adjust this movement

I see Positive and Negative signs etched in these plates but don;t understand what you have to move??

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1292/...1f3f5769_b.jpg

Default Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: FredWJensen)

Fred.
    The movement in your photo is equipped with the patented "Floating Balance."

You have to look down at the top of the balance wheel. There is an inner circular spring which moves tiny weights inward or outward inside the periphery of the balance wheel to adjust the rate. Inward for faster....outward to slow.

Normally if the rate is poor, the movement requires service.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Thumbs down Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: Eckmill)

This is a strange balance. There seem to be NO balance jewels, the pivots "if you can call them that are just suspended? Is this right?

Fred. The "floating balance" was invented and patented by Hettich in Germany. Many manufacturers made copies and used them. Hettich sued. It is said that Hettich recovered enough "back" royalties and penalties to retire "comfortably on the riviera."

The floating balance has two jewels pressed inside the tube that is free to slide up or down on the central wire. The balance assembly "floats" on the compound helical balance spring.

If carefully cleaned and maintained, the floating balance is a remarkably good escapement. However, most examples are beyond useful life. Most can be replaced by a simple conventional balance assembly which is easily understood.

Most repairerers find the basic movement is badly worn and in need of pivot polish and re-bushing of worn plate holes thus lacking enough power to operate the escapement with zest.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: Eckmill)

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: Eckmill)

Quote Originally Posted by Eckmill View Post
    If carefully cleaned and maintained, the floating balance is a remarkably good escapement. However, most examples are beyond useful life. Most can be replaced by a simple conventional balance assembly which is easily understood.

Most repairerers find the basic movement is badly worn and in need of pivot polish and re-bushing of worn plate holes thus lacking enough power to operate the escapement with zest.
    There is 1 common problem with these things that can actually be fixed.

the wire over which the jewels ride can develop ridges from wear. This causes all kinds of trouble of course. It is possible to replace the wire! suitable wire is sold by multiple clock parts dealers.
    Antiekeradio = Wouter Nieuwlaat
    www.clockshop.nl www.antiekeradio.nl www.dafmaf.tk

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: antiekeradio)

From what i have learned the balance needs servicing.But in may cases the movement is worn and is causing problems.if the balance was ok before when the clock was new then its not a timing issue.Its a service issue.the balance or the movement.But yes the wire could be worn as well.
    just my 2 cents worth.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: Kevin W.)

yes, I completely agree. Most of the time the main problem is in the movement. Usual suspects like worn springs and bushings.

my remark about the floating balance was especially focussed at the part " However, most examples are beyond useful life. Most can be replaced by a simple conventional balance assembly which is easily understood."
    replacing with different construction parts goes against my ideas of good clockmaking. Especially since a floating balance in proper working order is a very good timekeeper.

I have one of those ceramic kitchen clocks (made by Junghans) in my bedroom. On the back is a knob that can be turned with a coin. The circumference is marked with lines, about 8 of them. Each line represents 3 seconds per 24 hours faster or slower!!!
    Antiekeradio = Wouter Nieuwlaat
    www.clockshop.nl www.antiekeradio.nl www.dafmaf.tk

Thumbs down Re: How to adjust this movement (RE: antiekeradio)

My movement is one of those disposable Hermle movements! It is working well enough. I only paid 2 dollars for the clock.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by FredWJensen View Post
    My movement is one of those disposable Hermle movements! It is working well enough. I only paid 2 dollars for the clock.

I have yet to find a clock for $2. What a find!