Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 863 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default M Low clockmaker

Hello

Does anyone know the history of the M Low clock company.

Thanks
    Bill
    bill@fixoclox

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: fixoclox)

Bill, Spitters' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers shows a Mark Low in Philadelphia, 1849-50, a watchmaker. Nothing else. Perhaps a picture of the clock might help.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, 21th Century Edition, list only one M Low:
    LOW(E), M. Wragby (Lincs) 1849. I think that (Lincs) is short for Lincolnshire in England.

Over the last 50 years or so, researcher have identified tens of thousands of previously unknown clockmakers and watchmakers. But, We still run across unknown clocks and makers fairly often.

Photos would help us confirm the age and possibly the maker of the clock. The photos should show the front of the clock, the dial and the movement.

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: Kim St.Dennis Sr.)

The M Low I am trying to research made clocks for the US Government. They were basicly the same as Chelsea military clocks. The difference was that M low had shock mounted balance jewels. I have been told that these clocks were made in a loft in lower Mahnattan. The funny thing is when you google M low you get nothing. I think this is pretty stange since if it existed there should be some info on the net. Thanks for your input should I find any more info I will post it
    bill@fixoclox

Quote Originally Posted by fixoclox View Post
    The M Low I am trying to research made clocks for the US Government. They were basicly the same as Chelsea military clocks. The difference was that M low had shock mounted balance jewels. I have been told that these clocks were made in a loft in lower Mahnattan. The funny thing is when you google M low you get nothing. I think this is pretty stange since if it existed there should be some info on the net. Thanks for your input should I find any more info I will post it
    This is interesting for me because I just won a LOW Admiralty ship's bell clock on e-bay. I also tried to do some research and only found that the LOW company was located in NY and that the movement of my clock was made in Germany, probably by Schatz (not sure about that because I haven't seen the movement yet). Then I saw that an identical ship's bell clock was also marketed by Fulton in NY. Again with apparently the same German movement.

Hopefully you can find more information.

Uhralt

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: Uhralt)

If you Google "M. Low Clock New York" a fair number of relevant sites come up. It appears that M. Low Instrument Company along with Roth Bros., also of New York, cased clocks and watches for military use. One site says M. Low was a possible sub-contractor for Chelsea. Unless they were still doing this work after the war, it seems unlikely that they would have been casing German movements for American military use.
    Jeremy

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Years ago I purchased an M. Low US Government 24hr clock off of ebay. I tried to find history, etc through the internet. I found very little but I did manage to find a phone number for a man who turned out to be the son of the original M. low. I thought it was sort of weird but thought what the heck and I gave it a call. Had a nice chat with the gentleman who was very enthusiastic about the family history. I was a bit amazed at the whole thing and frankly never asked the questions that I wanted to ask. But I do remember him telling me that he did have numerous spare parts and would be happy to sell them along. At the time my clock was in perfect shape (still is to this day, in fact) and I simply tucked that knowledge away for possible future use. That was about 15 years ago more or less, so I doubt this resource is still available but it left me with an interesting story in regard to my clock and a nice memory of a man who was very proud of his family's history.

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: llanclox)

Mercer, Chronometer Makers of the World, has an entry for Max Low.

"Low, Max (N) b 1889. 44 Fulton St. , New York; 110 Hudson St., New York. Max Low was born in Austria, educated in Switzerland and emigrated to New York early C20. Bought out Negus of 140 Water St., New York, in 1962. The business is now run by sons Jack (Yank) and Charles. N:1960-23398 (SYM); 1961-23728 (SYM)."

Ralph

Who manufactured the movements for M. Low military clocks? Al

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: mergroa@diebold.com)

Quote Originally Posted by mergroa@diebold.com View Post
    Who manufactured the movements for M. Low military clocks? Al
    The short answer would be "others" because all M. Low branded military or Gov't timepieces I've observed or seen in photos were obviously the products of well known makers. But all were somehow unique suggesting that M. Low specialized in short orders that OEM makers could not or would not bid for.

It appears to me that at least during the WWII years and after for a decade, M. Low provided unique timepieces to the U.S. Government. For example Waltham 37 size car dashboard clocks were fitted into boxes and used as deck watches. These are to be seen with the M. Low name both in 7 Jewel and 15 jewel types.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: llanclox)

Does anyone have information about who make the military clock cases for M Low?

Default Re: M Low clockmaker (RE: chelclock)

Good question chelclock and Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board. I think with the fact that we've learned the late Max Low bought out Negus and that the firm is now operated by the Low family members in New York City, that you've planted a "seed" for some investigative work.

Maybe we could encourage a member who lives in the New York City area to visit the firm and possibly obtain access to the M. Low business records of the 1940's and later. One never knows what can be uncovered in old business records.

If any reader residing in the New York City area or if you know of a member who may be interested in some investigative work in the Big Apple, please step up to the plate.
    Last edited by Eckmill; 06-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California