Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1568 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Only thirty minutes to edit???????

I sometimes manage to cope with the limit of an hour to post by making revisions on the edit time. Now I get a message that the administration has limited the edit time to thirty minutes. Well nuts to that! I tend to be a perfectionist, and often recheck facts after posting, and sometimes have to make several revisions. I take some pride in what I post and I really don't need the time pressure; it is detrimental to my health. Maybe there is some good reason for the limits, or maybe it is just an arbitrary decision by some administrator. I would like to hear the reason, but it won't make any difference.

After over 40 years in this hobby, I thought it would be nice to share some of the knowledge I have gained with others via this board rather than take it to the grave with me. But if I keep posting under pressure, I'll probably end up in that grave a lot sooner than I would like. Who needs that?

Please don't tell me how to compose my posts off-line and transfer them to the board. I tried and lost the post anyway. I guess you can't teach this old dog new tricks. When people try to explain this stuff in computer terminology, my eyes tend to glaze over. Yes, I am truly ticked off and will definitely think twice (or thrice) before I post in the future. I guess I'm not cut out for the internet. My doctor has told me I have to bring my blood pressure and stress levels down, and posting on this MB sure doesn't help. I'll just have to "wean" myself from posting. The 30-minute editing limit is just the last straw.

Disgustedly,

Larry Treiman

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: Larry Treiman)

Larry,

Let me check the settings. It is my understanding that you can take as long as you like to type in and modify a post, but once you have posted you have 30 minutes to read the post and open it again for editing.

The reason is that the "conversation" gets very strange if someone responds to what you have posted and then you edit what you said with the result that their response becomes nonsense.

There is also a session timeout for someone who walks away from their computer (or one in a hotel lobby) that is supposed to terminate after one hour of no activity. If you are a slow typist, you might take more than an hour to compose a post. If all you are doing is typing, the server does not know you are there and may log you off after an hour. If you do type very slowly, you can click on something from time to time to let the server know you are still around. One can also set the browser to "keep alive" but that is a very techie kind of thing to do and, in my opinion, is more hassle than it is worth.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Thanks for the answer, Tom. I believe that until recently the board gave an hour to edit, but recently discovered (the hard way) that the time was reduced to a half-hour. I do understand that someone might be reading the original post while I'm editing it. I guess the answer is to use the edit function only to correct typos and minor errors, and do a new post for any corrections and changes of substance.

As for clicking on something from time to time while composing the post to let the browser know I'm still around, it seems that clicking on anything that takes me off the page on which I am posting will wipe out what I have already written.

Yes, I am a very slow typist, and since I was rear-ended a few years ago, I have developed pretrty bad numbness, tingling and pain in my fingers, so I have problems using the keyboard, and constantly hit the wrong key or two keys at a time. On top of that is my unfortunate propensity to be a perfectionist about what I write. I guess I'll just have to cut down on the number, length and complexity of my posts. Do I hear some big sighs of relief out there??

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 04-13-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: See above!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: Larry Treiman)

Larry,

You could go to your earlier post which you can no longer edit, and use the "QUOTE" function which will copy your message forward to a new post. And then for the sake of keeping the new information cogent, you can add a comment about your new information. It may seem odd to be quoting yourself, but it is one way to use the system to achieve what you want to do. This also brings your original thread back to the top of the MB, and anyone tuning in will get your latest post. Just a thought!

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: doug sinclair)

You might also consider composing in stages:
    Write two or three lines - SUBMIT
    Return, read, EDIT, a few more lines - SAVE. etc., etc.

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: Scottie-TX)

I have alot of time to make mistakes, Mike

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: Mike306p/Ansoniaman)

Larry et al,

If the board drops you for inactivity after an hour and there is an absolute need for limiting the time for editing, I wonder if composing your message on the community site would be helpful. When finished, copy your work and paste it to this message board or use this message board to give a link to your work on the community center.

I have noted that when I log in to chap 52's website, the system doesn't seem to time me out and of course I can edit any material indefinitely thereafter.

happy hunting,

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: BILL KAPP)

I doubt he's gonna be too excited about, "copy 'n paste".
    Please don't tell me how to compose my posts off-line and transfer them to the board. I tried and lost the post anyway. I guess you can't teach this old dog new tricks. When people try to explain this stuff in computer terminology, my eyes tend to glaze over.

Scottie,

Just goes to show you that this "old dog" can't retain all the content for more than a few minutes!

that said, I vote that the admin give Larry a full hour to edit! We can't afford to lose a poster who can actualy compose a message with the word "thrice"

I think that is the first time in my life I have actualy seen that word in a normal communication and I know I have never heard it spoken

We need Larry just to keep up our literary standards, let alone for his horological knowledge.

Stay with us Larry!

happy hunting,
    t

Registered user.

Scottie-TX, your doubt is well-founded! I guess I'm just very "computer-unfriendly." The night I started this thread, I had just finished composing a post, and when I tried to post it, I found that for some unknown reason my dial-up connection had disconnected. When that happened, my sign-in automatically signed out! Later, when I finished doing some editing, I got some infernal message from the MB administration. By then it was after midnight, and I was so PO'd that I don't remember the exaCT MESSAGE (see that, I keep hitting the @#%$#! Caps Lock key....usually I correct it but for the rrmainder of this message I'll leave the errors). It 3was something about having exceedeed some @#$$@!! thirty-mijnuirte limit that I didn't even know existed for editing. So I vented!

Bill Kapp, Last July, after 40 years as a NAWCC member, I d3ecided to let my membership lapse. It was partly because I haven't really been able to afford watch collecting for a whil3e, but what really helped me make the decision were some things that were said here on the MB, especially some ad hominem attacks on my brother, on me, and on others by a certain moderator (I just noticed tonightr that the person is no longer listed as moderator of the American P/W forum). I always follow your posts on Ball, Bill.

Scottie, I always enjoy your posts, and yoiur avatars are great. Am I in any danger of bering scratche4rd by your new avatar;>)

Larr5y (the 5 is silent)

Registered user.

Bill, obviously you were posting your last post while I was merrily hunting and pecking away on my last post.

Thanks. I enjoyed your comments. I can't eliminate all my computer problems, but I'll get by. Besides, I really don't want any special privileges. I'm sure there are others who have similar problems. Now that I understand the reason for the thirty minute limit, I can live with it. Also, my brother, Jerry, just pointed out to me how some abused the editing privilege! Besides, I have to learn not to be such a perfectionist, and how not to be so wordy. When Jerry has more time, maybe he can teach this old dog some new tricks (I already know how to fetch).

Does anybody know what comes after "thrice"??

Larry

Blog Entries

Larry,

I left the MB for over a year for much the same reason as the one you mentioned. I shall refrain from elaborating on the fundamental reason, in public. For some reason, tonite, I found I wasn't able to send you a PM for some reason. I don't know if that benefit is restricted to NAWCC members. While I chose to leave the MB for a while, I have continued my membership which is now into its 26th year. When I found out through the grape vine about the "change" you alluded to in your post, I decided to become active on the MB again. I am thrilled with all the new benefits of membership! Nearly every week I discover one or two new ways to use the MB and the advantages of membership. Anyway, please persist in finding ways to streamline your use of the board. There are many of us that would be glad to try to help you at any time, just to keep you around.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Treiman View Post
    Does anybody know what comes after "thrice"??

Larry
    Larry, do stick around and should you have any kind of problem posting, just post here like you did to start this very enlightening discussion. I checked "Ask Oxford" about your question, and it seems there isn't a "next" term for more than three . .
    What comes after once, twice, thrice?

Nothing, I'm afraid. These three are the only words of their type, and no further terms in the series have ever existed (the suggestion of `quince' for `five times' is picturesque but no more!). Presumably the language has not felt the lack of them.
    Hmmm . . . maybe we need to invent the next term, since in the clock and watch repair world I don't know how many times I've had to do something over!!

Just in case you might be interested, and since you've not been getting the Bulletin and MART for a while now, we have a slightly cheaper membership now available for $60 that lets you get the Bulletin and MART on the Internet (no paper copies). All of the other benefits are still included, such as being able to get into Regionals, go to Chapter meetings, and ask for help from the Library. We're also adding a lot of new things for members only on our website that you would be able to see.

Whatever your choice, you are still very welcome here!

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: doug sinclair)

Larry,

Quadrice?

"quadrice - Beyond once, beyond twice, beyond thrice: the word for doing something four times.
    e.g., You've had your new words accepted twice? Maybe thrice? I can't believe you've done it quadrice. Do you get a button to wear?"

Believe we have met at a regional or chapter mart in the past. I seem to recall you showing me a nice two tone watch that you had with you. (Hampden?) I have always been awed by those of you who understand and deal with the intricate workings of watches and clocks. I myself am hopeless with tools and limit myself to enjoying their beauty and researching their histories.

Doug,

Good to have you back!

John,

Maybe with the electronic bulletin and minimal cost to the orginization we should have a special membership for 40 year veterans! Just think of the fun we could have with the acronyms. IE: SOT's (Salty Old Timers)

happy hunting,
    Last edited by BILL KAPP; 04-15-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Only thirty minutes to edit??????? (RE: John Hubby)

JOHN HUBBY, thanks for your kind words. As for the BULLETIN and MART over the internet, that's definitely NOT for me. Since I'm no longer collecting, I really don't need the MART. And I much prefer reading from a paper copy of anything, and having it available anytime without having to rely on a computer. Besides, I have a 12-year-old "hand-me-up" computer and if it goes out I don't know if I would replace it. Also, having a fairly slow dial-up doesn't help. To me it is tiring to have to sit at the computer for any amount of time to read something. And if something is on the computer, I don't get that feeling that it is mine; it is like I'm just borrowing it for the moment. I still treasure some of my 40-year-old (and even older) Bulletins. On the other hand, the Marts are long gone. If the NAWCC sold just a subscription to the BULLETIN (paper edition), without the Mart, and without the other privileges of membership, I would consider it, depending on the price.

BILL KAPP, I don't believe we have ever met. I would have remembered, because we both share an interest in Ball watches, though your main interest seems to be the early 18-size, while I'm more interested in the later ones, especially 16-size.

You mentioned that I might have shown you a nice two-tone watch, perhaps a Hampden. Definitely wasn't me!! I'm not a big fan of two-tone watches, and I have absolutely, positively never owned a Hampden in my 40+ years in the hobby. I would probably qualify as a true Anti-Hampden Bigot if there were such a thing! Besides, I haven't been to a local meeting, regional or national in years.

As for what follows "thrice", I've gotten along without knowing for all these years, and I can easily continue to do so, since apparently there is no such term.

Larry Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 04-15-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Who needs a reason?