Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1403 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Arrow Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it

I found an old watch that had been hidden under some floor boards in my house. It is an open face watch with the dial at the 12 o'clock position. I open it up and inscribed in the caseing is Dennison watch case co ltd. Below that it says ALD Special. Inscribed inside ia an anchor, a lion, and an E. Below that is a serial number, 588155 D. Also inscribed on the dial are the letters M and E. Around the key chain hook is a lion and the letters DO inscribed. There is something written on the faceing of the watch but i cant make it out. Below the second hand is written swiss made. Now i believe i have saved the best for last, on the back of the watch is inscribed,
    Mr. Robert Couper
    from
    Col. & Mrs Chapman
    a greatful token
    for work well done at
    UNDERCLIFF
    If someone could please help me find out more about this watch it would be greatly appreciated.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: ShawnB)

Hi, ShawnB, welcome to the message board. I'm going to move your thread up to the European Pocketwatch forum for better exposure.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: harold bain)

Hi Shawn, can you post some pictures of the front of watch and dial and of the movement in the watch.These will help in identifying what you have.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Kevin W.)

The Lion Anchor and E sound like British Hallmarks
    If you can post a picture of them they should be easy to identify

Registered user.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Les harland)

Shawn Have you tried looking up "Colonel Chapman Undercliff" in Wikipeadia?The result, if it is the same person, is very interesting

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Les harland)

I have a low quality camera on my computer, but i can give a pic of yhe faceing and dial. also, i can show pics of the back fairly clear. and ill also add pics of the watch open.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG001126.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	59625

Name:	IMG001130.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	59626

Name:	IMG001131.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	59627

Name:	IMG001133.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	59628

Name:	IMG001136.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	59629
    -> posts merged by system <-
    tomorrow i will try to get a better camera and post more pics of the hallmarks.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: ShawnB)

Cannot read the date but interesting to note that both of these names are names associated with Englishmen who were on the titanic. if the watch is genuine and can be traced to thes families, it is historic and worth a fortune.

jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Hess; 04-12-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Jeff Hess)

Hi Shawn, interesting inscription. It suggests the
    sort of 'retirement' watch sometimes presented to
    folks who worked on large estates. Is your own
    location anywhere near one of these?

There are a few places, sometimes referred to as
    'Undercliff House' to be found with a search.

Your watch's mechanism looks vaguely 'Omega' to
    me, but it's very difficult to make out the details --
    a better picture of the movement would help.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: LloydB)

Dennison was an American and a founder of the Waltham Watch Company. He got tossed out in re-organization and went to England where he started the watch case company which made you case.

The case is intersting because it features is it "loss proof" bow. Watches were often stolen by pickpockets who twisted the watch away from its bow. The bow of your watch has ball shaoed ends which are "swaged" in to the pendant. This makes for a very strong attachment of the bow.

For the little of the movement your pictures show it looks to be a low to mid grade Swiss movement. It should be a good time keeper with good service but your chances of selling it for a lot more than the cost or repair are slim. It's worth doing only if you want to keep the watch.

At least one significant Titanic watch was on the market s few years ago. It was inscribed with a description of the incident and was overall a much better watch although still not top grade. It was also 18k gold. If it sold, it took a very long time.

On of the sadder aspects of collecting watches is the number of watches I find that were given for extraordinary service that were not up the dedication of the recipient.

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Dr. Jon)

It seems that i have left some information out like my location, which can be important, and a few details i figured out on my own. First and formost, I live in Batesville, AR. US. I figure that, based on the E stamp Hallmark, the watch is atlest 125 years old.I could be wrong because my date stamp log only has up to 1925. Another fact i somehow left out is that the watch works, though its missing the second hand. I'm still trying to get better pics of the watch, and will put them on here as soon as i can. I would like to take a second to thank you all for your help in figuring out what i have. Thanks

Registered user.

The Lion, Anchor and E could be the hallmark for Birmingham (UK) 1929
    Wikipaedia shows a Colonel Chapman Living at Undercliff, Cleadon, Sunderland County Durham UK in 1940
    He was High Sheriff Of Durham in that year
    Last edited by Les harland; 04-12-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: punctuation

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...rt-couper.html

Same guy

That would be very very valuable.....

Jeff

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Jeff Hess)

Hello there, are you still looking for further information regarding your watch? I may be able to help - as I own Undercliff Hall where your watch comes from.
    Undercliff was a mansion house/stately home built in 1853 for a wealthy shipbuilding (and later brewery) family (Allison) here in the North East of England. They sold the hall to the Chapman family, who lived there until about 1978. Colonel Chapman was a Conservative Member of Parliament in the 1930's/40's.
    Undercliff Hall was one of five major houses in the village of Cleadon, near Sunderland. It had around 15 staff from cook, gadrners, groomsmen etc working there, and your watch would have been presented to a member of staff to mark their retirement.
    If you require any further info about Robert Couper or the Hall itself, then don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Undercliff.jpg  

Default Re: Found an old watch and was wanting some information on it (RE: Pidgey)

AWESOME!

Thanks!

Could these be the same folks who were on the TITANIC?

This is just amazing! What a great resource we have here! Great story. Thank you. George