Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1572 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Ridgeway clock won't chime

Skip this part if you want to get straight to the helping and forgive my lack of clockwork terminology.

So a couple days ago I realized that my family had a grandfather clock. Well I knew it was there but I never bothered with it. My parents said it was broken but I decided to wind it up anyways. It actually worked but it wouldn't chime. My parents said they have had this since 86 but they never wanted to pay to repair it so they said I could try to fix it. Fast forward today I may know what's wrong.

Here we go.
    It's a ridgeway weight-driven clock. Every quarter hour the clock makes a click but never chimes. I opened the right side panel and when the clock struck the hour I pushed the chime gear/tube/mechanism with the teeth scattered on it and the chime worked and the hour count chime worked by itself. So, this might make you cringe, I tried pulling the right weight down gently and the chime operates. Is it possible the clock just needs to be lubricated? Please help me, I MUST hear that Westminster chime properly!

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: stavros90)

No, I think that's a fair test - a gentle pull. I believe you've correctly assessed the problem - a movement with dirt and congealed grease needs dismantled, cleaned, and fresh lube.
    WELCOME!

Thank you Scottie

So before I go about disassembling it what should I use to clean it and what to lubricate it. My dad gave me some WD-40 and a silicone spray. Would either work or should I go out and buy some other lubricant.

Hmm I also appear to have screwed up the list of posts so now the last post shows up top. How do I go about changing it back?
    Last edited by stavros90; 04-10-2010 at 05:38 PM.

To change how the posts show, click on "User CP" at the top left of the screen. On the left of the screen that comes up is a menu of various screens on which you set preferences. Choose "Edit Options." On that page, toward the bottom look for "Thread Display Mode." Choose "Linear- Oldest First."

I will let others point you in the right direction about cleaning and oiling, but I will say that there are available cleaners and oils specifically for clocks. Steer far clear from WD-40, which will gum up the works.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 04-10-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Yeah, you'll find lots of help here, but we're pretty testy about doing things half-fast if you get my drift The movement can be replaced or cleaned for about the same money. If you want to work on it, you'll need some practice on easier clocks first, and you'll need some tools. Here's a site that will give you an idea of what's available, and what you're getting into
    Timesavers

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: shutterbug)

Something else to check is that the weights are in the right order. The heaviest has to be on the chime (right) side.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: harold bain)

Wd 40 and silicone spray, no not the best route to go.
    it needs to come apart and be cleaned properly and lubed.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: Kevin W.)

Ok so does anyone have a specific lube they can recommend? One I can find in store or on the interwebs.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

If you want to try something new, read this thread, then contact Mark Butterworth at Butterworth Clocks.
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=44809
    His phone number is 563-263-6759, or
    www.butterworthclocks.com
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Nye, Moebus, and Etsyntha are all excellent choices.

Default Re: Ridgeway clock won't chime (RE: Scottie-TX)

Yes. You want an oil made specifically for clocks, and synthetic. Don't use anything else. Plenty of choices on the site I provided