Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1208 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks

I have a Porcelain L. Marti et Cie mantle clock. It is painted white with bronze trim and has a outdoor scene with a flute player and a female dancer on the front. The engraving on the inside has L. Marti et Cie. It also has Medaille de Bronze engraved on it. i did some research and found that the medaille de Bronze movement dates the clock from 1867-1889. That is about all i could find. i also could only find one other clock that by L. Marti et Cie that was a painted porcelain piece. If anybod knows anything about this clock or the maker, it would satisfy my curiosity. I am no clock collector but this clock has been in my family since the early 1900s, so it would be nice to know more about it.

Oh yeah, it is serial numbered 817, but i also found out that serial numbers on these clocks have nothing to do with dating or pretty much anythin at that becasue no one no for sure how the number system went.

here's some pictures of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000476 (2).jpg   pic close up.jpg   side.jpg   insides.jpg   face.jpg  

back.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: ryantheman824)

It's a very nice china case clock you have there! Marti (Samuel) was a well-known French clockmaker in the period you described. There are several of note at this time; Marti, Japy Freres and Vincenti. They are most noted for their round (roulant) time and strike and time only movements like the one you have.

As clockmakers, they sold the movements to whomever wanted them. I don't know if they themselves made or had made any cases to ship out complete work. I've always thought they sold the movements to be housed however the retailer wanted, but I could be wrong.

Regarding serial numbers, the best use they have today is to verify that the movement and pendulum are matched originals (though not always true). If you look on the pendulum, there should be numbers pressed into it as well that may match the ones on the movement.

Banned

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Chris)

Some, though by no means all, of these porcelain cases have markings on the inside that are visible from below. Sometimes, you can identify the case maker from them.
    Last edited by Dave B; 04-05-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: speling misteak !!! :-0

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Dave B)

I think you'll find the L you refer to is actually an S for Samuel. There is afaik little info available on the company which won a Medaille de Bronze in 1860. One source also says they won a Medaille d'Or in 1900 which presumably would have been used thereafter.
    Jonathan.

Registered user.

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Dave B)

Nice clock, Ryan. I noticed the hairline on the dial: try rubbing some bleach on a cotton bud over the crack as this takes out the dirt, and often makes it virtually invisible.

Here is some info I downloaded a while back (source BHI). Hope it helps.
    MARTI, SAMUEL et Cie
    1860 - Medaille de Bronze
    1889 - Medaille d'Argent
    1900 - Medaille d'Or
    1931 - Grand Prix, Paris
    MARTI, FRITZ
    1900 - Medaille d'Or,Paris
    ?? Medaille de bronze

Chris
    Last edited by jeules0; 04-06-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    So many clocks, too little time!

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: jeules0)

I too have a L. Marti French clock. But in your description you left out some interesting information. Inside the stamp it also says " Medaille de Bronze" . My internet research shows that Medaille de Bronze was the name of the clock company and they were in operation in Fance between 1867 to 1889, only 22 years. And all the clocks I find by them are high quality. I'm very happy with my clock, and sure you are too.

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Jerry Dossenback)

Ryan, could you do the "porcelain" test to see what type of ceramic it is. Turn off the lights and place a light, so it will try to shine through the ceramic: if it is porcelain you will be able to see the light.

thanks

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Jerry Dossenback)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Dossenback View Post
    I too have a L. Marti French clock. But in your description you left out some interesting information. Inside the stamp it also says " Medaille de Bronze" . My internet research shows that Medaille de Bronze was the name of the clock company and they were in operation in Fance between 1867 to 1889, only 22 years. And all the clocks I find by them are high quality. I'm very happy with my clock, and sure you are too.
    The information about the name of the company is incorrect. " Medaille de Bronze" means bronze medal which was the award received in 1860. The name of the company is Samuel Marti & Cie. The medal, a second class one, was received at the Paris Exhibition of 1855. The company also received a Medaille d"Or(gold Medal) in Paris, 1900. The company was in business considerably longer than 22 years. REF: The French Marble Clock by Nicolas M. Thorpe, N.A.G. Press, Colchester, Essex, 1993.

There are also references to J Marti Circa 1860 and Fritz Marti in 1900.

I have several Marti clocks and have seen hundreds in the last 40 years.

Best Regards,

Richard T.
    Last edited by Richard T.; 09-22-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: Richard T.)

I have a clock that has been in my family since 1889 and is signed/marked L. Marti 1889 on the back plate.
    It is in a Rosewood case and I would love to find out a little more about it.

Any information would be gratefully recieved.

Registered user.

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: djp48)

djp - better to start a new thread with pictures as it's not considered polite to hijack someone else'e thread and you would be noticed better and get a response.

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: ryantheman824)

Quote Originally Posted by ryantheman824 View Post
    I have a Porcelain L. Marti et Cie mantle clock. It is painted white with bronze trim and has a outdoor scene with a flute player and a female dancer on the front. The engraving on the inside has L. Marti et Cie. It also has Medaille de Bronze engraved on it. i did some research and found that the medaille de Bronze movement dates the clock from 1867-1889. That is about all i could find. i also could only find one other clock that by L. Marti et Cie that was a painted porcelain piece. If anybod knows anything about this clock or the maker, it would satisfy my curiosity. I am no clock collector but this clock has been in my family since the early 1900s, so it would be nice to know more about it.

Oh yeah, it is serial numbered 817, but i also found out that serial numbers on these clocks have nothing to do with dating or pretty much anythin at that becasue no one no for sure how the number system went.

here's some pictures of it.
    I wish I could help, but in the same boat. I have one, similar shape, just found out it was an L. Marti by the face, hands, back, etc. It's basically blue with cherubs, and the artwork is apparently signed by "Quentin". It's been in my immediate family for at least 45 years, and God only knows how long my mother's aunt and grandmother had it before they gave it to her.

The face is perfect, and I have had it running and chiming, although I don't know how to balance it correctly to keep close to the correct time.

I've just started my search regarding the value; don't know if I want to sell or insure. How about we keep each other posted with discoveries?

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: cdarnell)

If you still keep it running - or try to :-) - you should have it serviced!

Default Re: Anybody know about L.Marti et Cie mantle clocks (RE: cdarnell)

Quote Originally Posted by cdarnell View Post
    I wish I could help, but in the same boat. I have one, similar shape, just found out it was an L. Marti by the face, hands, back, etc. It's basically blue with cherubs, and the artwork is apparently signed by "Quentin". It's been in my immediate family for at least 45 years, and God only knows how long my mother's aunt and grandmother had it before they gave it to her.

The face is perfect, and I have had it running and chiming, although I don't know how to balance it correctly to keep close to the correct time.

I've just started my search regarding the value; don't know if I want to sell or insure. How about we keep each other posted with discoveries?
    cdarnell,
    Although these are nice clocks they would not fall into the price range of anything needing a separate insurance rider. Just enjoy the clock .
    As far as price goes you can always check ebay for an idea about value or
    asking price.
    best regards,
    Jay