Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1651 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Hands and Bullseye Crystal Found for Fusee!!

Well all , I found a crystal and the correct hands for my 1805 Verge Fusee. You'll never guess on EBAY !!!! That's right. All the way from merry old England. Promised they'd be here in 2 weeks. I'll share the picture after it's all together with you all. I guess you can tell I'm exstatic !!!!!!!!!!!!! Total for everything including shipping under $35 USD

Registered user. Jerry Matthews's Avatar

Default Re: Hands and Bullseye Crystal Found for Fusee!! (RE: th90a9)

Glad to hear it. Look forward to seeing the photos when it is all together.

Best
    Jerry

Registered user.

Default Re: Hands and Bullseye Crystal Found for Fusee!! (RE: Jerry Matthews)

Good news when you find rare parts.

Just be very careful when fitting the crystal. They are fragile and it is easy to break. For the first attempt I would recommend that you find someone with experience.

Default Re: Hands and Bullseye Crystal Found for Fusee!! (RE: Skutt50)

Well I recieved the crystal and hands today. Well the hands are perfect but the crystal was not a bullseye so it won't work. I guess I'll keep on looking. Just wanted those that are waiting to see the finished product to know about the delay. Tom

Registered user.

Hi Tom,
    If you let me know the size you need to the nearest 10th of mm I may be able to help. I have a fair collection of original bulls eye glasses so may have one that would fit. Might also be a good idea to let me know the height required to clear the canon pinion as the glasses can vary in height as well as diameter.

Keith

Default Re: Hands and Bullseye Crystal Found for Fusee!! (RE: Keith H)

Keith the diameter is 46.5mm. The distance from the dial face to the top of the square of the pinion is 3.5mm. Thanks if you can help. Tom

Registered user.

Hi, I have a used one that may fit. It will need a clean and unfortunately has a couple of chips in the edge.
    You are welcome to it. If you think you can use it let me have your details and I'll pop it in the post to you.
    Usually takes 10 days to get to the USA from England.
    Regards
    Keith

Keith I sent you the info in your private message section. Tom

Keith you can see the watch under Jenkins post. The measurement was from the center of the dial to the top of the square.

Registered user.

Hi Tom,
    Glass on the way to you. I'd rather see it used on a watch than kept in the drawer just in case I can use it one day.
    I managed to pick a a few hundred bullseyes which I have but inevitably the required size is not there.
    Good Luck

Keith
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Hi Tom
    The watch shown under the Jenkins post appears to be a fusee lever not a verge.
    Am I looking at the correct one?

So sorry Keith the watch that is the verge that I need the crystal is titled "Can anyone give me history on this verge" Sorry for the mixup. It's posted on the previous page to this one. Thanks again. Are you sure you don't want anything for this crystal? Thanks loads, Tom

Registered user.

You are welcome to the crystal Tom.
    People on this list have helped me out in the past. It all goes around.
    Regards
    Keith

OK everyone the watch is finished. I think it looks pretty good. The crystal was given to me by Keith from this board. Thanks again Keith. The dial I repaired with some porcelin compound.The key I got recently as well off of ebay. I think it would be period for the watch. Well check it out and let me know what you all think. By the way it keeps time within 3 minutes a day. I can't seem to get it better than that. Take care everyone. Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0699.jpg   100_0698.jpg  

Registered user. Jerry Matthews's Avatar

The watch looks great Tom. Congratulations for what you have acheived. Three minutes a day is very good time keeping for a watch of that age. In fact, it probably didn't keep much better time when it was new. But what did it matter 205 years ago? There was no such thing as standard time then. Time was set locally by the position of the sun. There were no trains to catch. People weren't governed by the clock. They got up when the animals needed to be fed or milked; they went to bed when it got dark. So three minutes or thirty minutes give or take made no difference to their lives at all.

Interesting key. I haven't seen anything quite like it before.
    Jerry