Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1622 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock

Hello everybody,

I just picked up this Smiths Enfield mantel clock at an antique store. I saw one that appeared to be identical on eBay, but on further inspection, I see that my clock has the chime switch on the right side of the face rather than the left, and the inner workings are not engine turned/jewelled? like the one on eBay. Also, my pendulum is black. Many of the other clocks I've looked at from what I would guess is the same time period seem to have shiny gold pendulums and jewelled workings. Why would they produce a clock with the same case, but use different parts inside? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM4198.jpg   HPIM4214.jpg   HPIM4217.jpg   HPIM4216.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: mynattk)

Hello mynattk what do you mean the other clock is jeweled, are you refering to the platform escapement..
    Some are kind of plain and some were made a little more fancier.I have one with the engine turning on the movement, its quite nice.
    I also have one in a plastic school house case.Its very plain.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: Kevin W.)

See attached pictures of the eBay clock. I am not sure if that technique is called engine turning or jewelling. I think I've seen people call it snailing, too. See how the outside looks the same as mine, but the interior is much "shinier"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine turned.jpg   ebay clock.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Kelly, welcome to the message board. The manufacturer likely used the same case over many years, with different movements. I have one in a similar case with a floating balance, that dates it to after 1956.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: harold bain)

Hi Kelly.Mine is like the picture on the left.I think mine is from about 1952. Its a westminster also.

Registered user.

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: harold bain)

Thanks Kevin & Harold

I guess that just means its not likely I can pin down an exact year, rather just a estimate of when the clock was made. The other one is from 1956, so that's probably as good a guess as I will come to.

You guys are fast! Thank you

Blog Entries

Kelly this one is the nicest one i have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smith fronts.JPG   smithsclockmvt.jpg  

Registered user.

That is pretty. Just makes me wonder when they started using the different inner workings and which one came first. Maybe it had to do with the Smiths Enfield company "merger". Does yours say Smiths Enfield on the face or just Smiths? Apparently they liked to change their logo around a lot, too. If I could come up with a timeline of their logos, it would probably help.

Blog Entries

Dial is marked.Smiths at the top, bottom of dial says Made in Great Britain.

Registered user.

Kelly

Yours is definitely post-WW2 with the "underslung" chime hammers (when mantel pieces became narrower) and a nut for the minute hand instead of a pin.
    Snailing / engine turning is just for upmarket versions - some have it, some don't (as regards) Smiths. Same for the different pendulum bobs. The wrinkle-finish ones were more common.

Smiths were a British company and made clocks from cheap and cheerful to quite expensive.

Jewelling is something totally different, and not used in these clocks.

This might give you a bit more information if you've not spotted it yet.

Some of the earlier movements were taken from the Enfield designs (in the 1930's) but the later Smiths designs were quite different, especially on chiming clocks.

Chime/Silent lever is usually near the "3" because the chime train is on the right.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: Mike Phelan)

As far as the date of your clock is concerned, I have several Smiths Enfield clocks and some of them have the date of the manufacture stamped inside the case, but you can't see it until you remove the movement. If you take the movement out you may find this date stamp on the inside of the case. It does not seem to have happened with all their clocks but I have seen several with a date stamp from the 1950s'

Hope this may help.
    JTD

Registered user.

Default Re: Smiths Enfield Mantel Clock (RE: JTD)

Thanks Mike and JTD!

That is all very useful information. I'm taking the clock to get a good cleaning/maintenance (since I'm not a clock pro) and hopefully they can tell me if there is a date inside. I know these Smiths clocks are a dime a dozen, but this one just struck my fancy. It really has a nice sound and it's very charming. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Kelly

Registered user.

You're welcome, Kelly. Didn't think there were too many of these in USA, but quite a few over here, hence prices are low and you can get more ££ for a cheap German 2" drum movement.

I think their time will come - though mass-produced, they are well made and give little trouble if properly serviced.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Registered user.

I'm sure there are fewer here than in the UK. I was just doing a little internet research and noticed that someone said on their website that the Smiths clocks don't hold any charm for them any more because they are so common.

The antique dealer I picked it up from does all their importing from UK estate sales. I'm not sure how they turn a profit that way, but they have some absolutely beautiful solid wood furniture pieces I would love to take home, and a handful of random clocks that go pretty much "as-is".

My husband, who at first thought I was a little crazy going around hunting for an antique mantel clock, is now saying every day "You know, I really like that sound. I am really starting to like that clock."

I believe that form of decorative etching on metal is typically referred to as "damascening." It is more common on watch movements.
    Jeremy