Month's Goal: $300, Received: $35.00 - (12%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1131 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Hamilton 748 pocket watch

Hello i'm new here!I've read many threads as a guest for about a year and i decided to signup!I've recently bought a hamilton 748 pocket watch CY21358.As i can see this movement was made for wrist watches because of it's small dimension.How should i find it in a pocket watch case?Is it possible?
    Thank you..and nice to find you here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 748in.JPG   748out.JPG  

Default Re: Hamilton 748 pocket watch (RE: visitor)

I have to add the info i found and mention it's in a sterling silver case with sterling chain although it's a wristwatch movement!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 748info.JPG   748case.JPG  

Welcome, Glad to see you venture into watches and posting.

Your watch by Hamilton is a 8/0 size and this movement was USUALLY used as a wrist watch, but was cased in a pocket watch type of case for other sales demands and possibilities.

The most common use for your watch was as a nurses watch. It had the large sweep second hand for taking pulse etc. It was usually attached to a lapel pin with a retractable chain. I have seen and own some of these.

Hamilton made many of the smaller sizes 0, 6/0, etc. for ladies watches as well as wrist watches.

PS, It is correctly listed in the data base chart as Hunting,(stem at 3) however Hamilton made a open face dial for it so it could be used as shown.
    Jim Haney

Default Re: Hamilton 748 pocket watch (RE: Jim Haney)

Well i have a few more pocket watches to discuss so i'll be around from now on!
    I found info by serial as you can see above,but i wondered because i didn't know it could be originally used as pocket watch by Hamilton.I thought it would be an interesting buy,but as you wrote there are many of them,even in pocket cases.Whatever,it's a nice movement so i don't regret.Thanks for posting..

Blog Entries

Don't feel bad about picking up ladies movements, I like them, my wife gets a kick out of them and occasionally will wear one when she gets the chance. I own about a dozen or so working examples of Walthams and Elgins. I even have one with a wristwatch band on it along with the lapel pins. The nice thing is you can pick them up at a reasonable price, though maybe you can't resell them but they are fun just the same. Keep coming back for more, we love it.

Default Re: Hamilton 748 pocket watch (RE: richiec)

Here is the Chatelaine from the 1949 Hamilton catalog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatelain49.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	56902

Don Dahlberg
    NAWCC volunteer

Default Re: Hamilton 748 pocket watch (RE: Don Dahlberg)

It cost a lot for it's size it in 1949.Great movement i think..thank you!

While the sweep hand does suggest that this was intended for use by a nurse, being made of silver also permitted these to be carried by nuns who, I've heard, were restricted from wearing gold. I have a nearly identical sweep seconds silver Elgin that is engraved "Sister Marie Fidelis" on the back.
    -Cort

Quote Originally Posted by visitor View Post
    It cost a lot for it's size it in 1949.Great movement i think..thank you!
    An adjusted 18 jewel in a nice case like that? Seems like a pretty reasonable price to me!

Default Re: Hamilton 748 pocket watch (RE: Surf Monkey)

Yes but it's just a 0.8" size.I thought that it should be cheaper,but i'm new here.You know better..

Hi. I'm new here. I have a watch that looks identical to this one but for one exception; the dial reads Tiffany & Co instead of Hamilton. It is a 748 movement in a sterling keystone case. Were these know to be sold by Tiffany in their name? It's a pretty neat little watch. Clean and it runs great. Any info appreciated. Thanks! - Steve