Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2854 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Schatz Cuckoo & Door Mechanism Revealed

As a service to humanity, I am posting the following information. If you want to fall down and worship me, that's OK.

SCHATZ CUCKOO & DOOR MECHANISM

The cuckoo and cuckoo door mechanism for a Schatz 8-day cuckoo clock has the following elements.

1. The bird lever
    2. The door lever
    3. The lifting lever
    4. The door lever detent

The door lever detent shares its arbor with the rack hook. It's a roughtly trapezoidal lobe sticking up from the arbor. It has a "gravity" feature allowing it to freely move back & forth.

The lifting lever is activated by an unusual cam on the 3rd wheel...the gathering pallet wheel.

The bird lever has two arms: the bird arm (bird attaches to it), and the counterweight arm, extending back toward the movement.

The door lever has three arms: the door arm, which opens & closes the door, the counterweight arm, extending back toward the movement, and the tail, which is adjacent to the door lever detent.

THE ACTION

1. The rack hook raises, dropping the rack and unlocking the strike train. The detent, on the same arbor, rotates slightly counterclockwise.
    2. The cam rotates, raising the lifting lever
    3. The lifting lever contacts the counterweights and raises them opening the door and poking the bird out.
    4. The tail of the door lever goes up, pushing the detent out of the way. The detent falls back, beneath the tail.
    5. The lifting lever falls into the gap in the cam. The bird bobs back. The tail of the door lever catches on the corner of the detent and stays up, instead of bobbing with the bird. The door remains open.
    6. The bird bobbing action continues for each rack tooth (each strike).
    7. After the last strike, the rack hook drops off the end of the rack, stopping the strike train.
    8. The lifting lever drops into the gap in the cam, allowing the bird to retract.
    9. When the rack hook drops, the door lever detent (on the same arbor) rotates out from under the door lever tail, allowing the tail to fall and the door to close.

ADJUSTMENTS

When the rack hook falls, the detent only rotates a tiny bit, a few degrees. The door arm tail must be adjusted so that it catches just the corner of the detent. Otherwise, when the detent rotates it won't clear the tail, and the door will remain open after the strike ends. If it doesn't catch the corner at all, the door will open and close with each strike. Make the adjustment by bending the tail slightly.

At steps 4 and 5 of the action, when the door lever tail pushes the detent out of the way and then settles back onto it, the clearance after the tail passes the detent must be minimal. It should pass the corner of the detent just enough to allow the detent to fall back. If there is too much clearance, the door will bob along with the bird (but not as much). Adjust the clearance by bending the door counterweight arm up or down, not the tail.

Good luck.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Schatz Cuckoo & Door Mechanism Revealed (RE: bangster)

As a service to humanity, I am posting the following information. If you want to fall down and worship me, that's OK.

SCHATZ CUCKOO & DOOR MECHANISM

The cuckoo and cuckoo door mechanism for a Schatz 8-day cuckoo clock has the following elements.

1. The bird lever
    2. The door lever
    3. The lifting lever
    4. The door lever detent

The door lever detent shares its arbor with the rack hook. It's a roughtly trapezoidal lobe sticking up from the arbor. It has a "gravity" feature allowing it to freely move back & forth.

The lifting lever is activated by an unusual cam on the 3rd wheel...the gathering pallet wheel.

The bird lever has two arms: the bird arm (bird attaches to it), and the counterweight arm, extending back toward the movement.

The door lever has three arms: the door arm, which opens & closes the door, the counterweight arm, extending back toward the movement, and the tail, which is adjacent to the door lever detent.

THE ACTION

1. The rack hook raises, dropping the rack and unlocking the strike train. The detent, on the same arbor, rotates slightly counterclockwise.
    2. The cam rotates, raising the lifting lever
    3. The lifting lever contacts the counterweights and raises them opening the door and poking the bird out.
    4. The tail of the door lever goes up, pushing the detent out of the way. The detent falls back, beneath the tail.
    5. The lifting lever falls into the gap in the cam. The bird bobs back. The tail of the door lever catches on the corner of the detent and stays up, instead of bobbing with the bird. The door remains open.
    6. The bird bobbing action continues for each rack tooth (each strike).
    7. After the last strike, the rack hook drops off the end of the rack, stopping the strike train.
    8. The lifting lever drops into the gap in the cam, allowing the bird to retract.
    9. When the rack hook drops, the door lever detent (on the same arbor) rotates out from under the door lever tail, allowing the tail to fall and the door to close.

ADJUSTMENTS

When the rack hook falls, the detent only rotates a tiny bit, a few degrees. The door arm tail must be adjusted so that it catches just the corner of the detent. Otherwise, when the detent rotates it won't clear the tail, and the door will remain open after the strike ends. If it doesn't catch the corner at all, the door will open and close with each strike. Make the adjustment by bending the tail slightly.

At steps 4 and 5 of the action, when the door lever tail pushes the detent out of the way and then settles back onto it, the clearance after the tail passes the detent must be minimal. It should pass the corner of the detent just enough to allow the detent to fall back. If there is too much clearance, the door will bob along with the bird (but not as much). Adjust the clearance by bending the door counterweight arm up or down, not the tail.

Good luck.

bangster

Bangster says "As a service to humanity, I am posting the following information. If you want to fall down and worship me, that's OK."

We're unworthy, Bang! :biggrin:

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hey, Bang, how long you been working on that cuckoo You must be ready to get back to spring wound clocks .
    Glad to hear you figured it out :biggrin:
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Banned

I don't know if you recall my reminiscences about cleaning (in "Gunk" degreaser, in an ultrasonic cleaner) and restoring the Schatz 8 day cuckoo clock that my wife (by now of 26 years) played with, and fubar-ed as a child. (She ripped the bird out of it... naughty girl!)

I can never sell this clock (so says my dearest wife) because it belonged to my dear mother-in-law, who is of German ancestry (of course... this stands to reason, no?).

As with all cuckoo clocks, they should have put a label on the back saying: "Achtung! Bend to adjust!"

Naw, this is a different Schatz. This one I actually bought off eBay, on purpose. An alternative to sticking needles in my flesh, I suppose.

And I aint't got it totally figured out YET. Just that one part.