Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1668 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Grandfathers Watch Collection

Hi All,

I hope you guys can help and if not, maybe point me in the right direction. My grandmother recently asked me to find out if any of the watches from my grandfathers collection were worth anything in case she should let her insurance company know about them. In my opinion I don't think so but I'd like a second opinion as I'm not an expert by any means. I'll try and add some photos here. There is one Omega, a Benrus, a Rodania, Tonodor, Hamilton, Nodell, Bulova, West End Watch Co pocket watch, Elba pocket watch, Wittnauer Geneve and some others as seen in the photos. I'm not looking for exact values or anything, just an idea whether or not we should go and get these appraised. Thanks for any help.

Paul

Default Re: Grandfathers Watch Collection (RE: paul1967)

Watches are rarely worth as much as people think they are, and the ones that are can be difficult to distinguish unless you have the watch in hand, and know what you're looking for. Omega's, in general, tend to retain value just from the name, and if you're going to get one appraised, you might as well bring the lot. Most of 'em probably aren't worth very much (the Waltham Quartz, for example, is probably worth less then the replacement cost of the battery in it). Check the cases for any indication of solid gold content though; that'll be worth insuring regardless of the actual watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Default Re: Grandfathers Watch Collection (RE: AbslomRob)

I agree with AbslomRob. I'm curious, what make is the pocket watch with the silver face?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grandfathers Watch Collection (RE: sderek)

Paul perhaps there is a NAWCC chapter in your area that you could find someone in the chapter who is knowledgeable about wrist watches.I believe one watch i saw you showed is a Hamilton electric, that,s a nice one.
    For now until you know more just keep them in a safe place .I hope your family is interested in keeping them and passing some of them perhaps on in the family.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/