Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2624 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking

Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking by Micheal Clerizo is a large and sumptuous book. Its publisher is Thames and Hudson, ISBN 978-0-500-51485-6

It has long well illustrated articles on

George Daniels
    Sven Anderson
    Vincent Calabrese
    Phillipe Dufour
    Antoine Preziuso
    Frank Muller
    Aniceto Jiminez
    Alain Silberstein
    Marco Lang
    Vianny Halter
    Roger Smith

with shorter pieces on

Felix Baumgartner
    Aaron Becsei
    Nicolas Delaloye
    Paul Gerber
    Gruebel Forsey
    Richard Habring
    Bent Haldimann
    John and Stephan McGonigle
    Reiner Neinaber
    Thomas Prescher
    Daniel Roth
    Sepan Sarpeneva
    Peter Speake Marin
    Andreas Strehler
    Christiaan Van Der Klaauw
    Kuri Voutilainen
    Volker Vyskocil

I had not heard of a lot of these but I very much enjoyed what I read. Some of these watchmakers were very candid and I formed a very negative opinion of a few of them. Their overwhelming conceit came through.

I found I like most of them, at least as portrayed.

More important the book is lavishly illustrated and, unlike a lot of what I call junk books, this has a lot of very detailed movement photographs which are very well done.

While it is mostly wrist watches, several makers did pocket watches for school projects and these are well illustrated.

I am not enough into contemporary watchmaking to know how significant these players are. I'd like to have seen a section on F. P. Journe and on RG Murphy but Its still a very fine book.

For what it is the book is very well priced. At full price its a decent buy but at the discounts you can get from the better sellers its a must buy. I bought mine from a national book chain. The local store did not honor their internet mail order price so I bought it via mail order.

Default Re: Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking (By: Dr. Jon)

I agree with Dr. Jon's comments.

This is probably one of the most thoughtfull books dealing with contemporary craftsman watchmakers.

One can of course quibble with the inclusion (and exclusion) of some names, but overall I think thsis a representative and fair collection of portraits. Yes some of these guys are arrogant, but some are nice guys, and each in their own way has some unique talents.

What is amazing to me me is how many are out there that can making a livig at what they do.

I was going to do a review for the Bulletin but Diana had allready lined up someone else

Fortunat
    Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, -Chair NAWCC Library Com./ Editor & Publisher of BHM
    Mem.NAWCC Mus.Coll.Com. / VP, USA Sect. Antiq.Horolog.Soc.

Registered user.

Default Re: Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking (By: Fortunat Mueller-Maerki)

Have just received my copy so haven't had time to thoroughly read and form opinions on the makers.
    However, just the section on Daniels, complete with superb photographs,
    justified the cost.

Ralph B.

Default Re: Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking (By: Dr. Jon)

Some of these guys come across more as Public relations and marketing wizzes with a very sellable 'spiel' than as first rate watchmakers, but I found all the portraits interesting to read.

From the hlf dozen who I have met personally or whose workshop I have vistited I think the portrits are quite accurate.
    Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, -Chair NAWCC Library Com./ Editor & Publisher of BHM
    Mem.NAWCC Mus.Coll.Com. / VP, USA Sect. Antiq.Horolog.Soc.