Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 886 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Removing Crown From Westclox Dollar Pocket Watch

Hello,
    I have probably what is a really simple question, but I'm not sure how to remove the winding/setting crown from a Westclox Dollar Pocket Watch. The front cover does not pop off, and I need to replace the crystal, but can't figure out just how to get it out, so that I can remove the movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jarett

Blog Entries

Default Re: Removing Crown From Westclox Dollar Pocket Watch (RE: Jarett Harkness)

Without a picture to work with, this is a guess. Many Westclox pocket watches have a stud on the back plate adjacent to the stem. This stud is held in position by a flat spring with a two prong fork at the stud end. The two pronged fork is beneath the stud, and it holds the stud in an "UP" position. Push down on the stud, remove stem and crown. Release the stud and the spring lifts the stud to its originnal position. If that doesn't work, please provide a picture.

Default Re: Removing Crown From Westclox Dollar Pocket Watch (RE: Jarett Harkness)

You should take a picture of it an be PATIENT! Don't do what I did, I started unscrewing stuff willy nilly and now I'm down one westclox pocket watch.

Post the picture of your watch on here, and wait for one of the more experienced members to give you a few tips.

Default Re: Removing Crown From Westclox Dollar Pocket Watch (RE: crazymew)

Hi,
    Thanks for the information. I got the stud pulled up, and was able to get the stem out. Without the advice, I would have never guessed it. I really appreciate the advice. Many thanks!!!
    Jarett

I have the same problem and am hoping someone can advise me as to how to remove the stem from this Westclox Dollar Watch. I am also wondering what type of crown was used on this watch? I have included pictures. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010039.jpg   P1010041.jpg   P1010042.jpg