Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 818 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Westclox 'Scotty', How To?

I purchased this pocketwatch the other day, and it arrived yesterday. http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.122323036.jpg

I also purchased a few broken pocketwatches for parts and repair. Considering that the only thing wrong with the pocketwatch from what I've seen, is that it doesn't have a crystal. Luckily, the broken watches I bought also has a Westclox 'Scotty' in the batch with a crystal.

However, for the life of me, I don't know how to replace a crystal in a pocket watch such as this.

Is there a guide for replacing the crystal of this model? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: crazymew)

For lack of better knowledge. I unscrewed the wrong screws, and now I can't put it back together... I guess if anyone's interested in parts, or knows how to fix it for me. Please respond?

Edit:

Everything is still in its proper place. I just don't know how to put the screw-on back back onto the gears right. Considering they have to be perfectly vertical for the back to go back on it.
    Last edited by crazymew; 02-28-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Registered user.

I do not know exactly what you have unscrewed but be very careful or you might cause much more damage to sensitive parts.

Do not do anything yet except to post some clear close up pictures of your problem.....

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: Skutt50)

It sounds like you need to get all the pivots in the holes of the top plate. If that is the case what you want to do is put all the parts on the lower plate (the one that holds the dial) the place the top plate on top of that. The pivots won't align themselves in most cases so what you want to do is put two or three of the plate screws in place, but don't tighten them, just thread them enough so that they will stay in place. The you want to turn one screw down, but not tight, just enough that it will hold the plate against the pivots. The best screw to do this to is one near the thickest pivots (mainspring arbor end of the train). Hold the plate with lust a slight weight in the top plate. Then you will need a pair of thin tipped tweezers to locate the pivots in their holes one at a time. As you get each of the parts located in their proper positions the top plate will settle a bit. Just turn the first screw down to hold the plate in place. As you get more of the pivots located You will be able to get the second then third screws turned down to help hold the plate in position. It will probably be a bit frustrating if it is the first time you've done this, but eventually you will get everything located and the top plate will be in its correct place. Before tightening the plate screws down you want to spin the gears to make sure everything is actually in position and not just appearing to be so. If everything is located right the train will spin freely and you can tighten the screws down the rest of the way. If the train feels like it is dragging and won't spin freely, then something is probably out of place. If you tighten the plates down while something isn't located correctly you will probably either bend or break the pivot.

Just as a note. It's been a while since I worked on a Westclox, but from what I remember The balance can be left out when assembling the plates. Turning the balance pivot cups out will allow you to place the balance after everything else is tended to. These aren't the easiest watches to assemble, but they do have more robust pivots than the higher grade watches.

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: Skutt50)

Quote Originally Posted by Skutt50 View Post
    Do not do anything yet except to post some clear close up pictures of your problem.....
    +1 Hopefully the spring wasn't wound.

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: afremont)

It shouldn't have been wound. But what would have happened if it was?

I'll post a pic later before I try out the instructions by Smudgy.

Btw, thank you Smudgy, you were correct on what the problem was, I'll have to find me some tweezers so I can get to work on it later tonight. And now I know fully that I do NOT unscrew the back to put a crystal in, xD!

As it turns out, there's an extra face on the front of the watch that I can pop off to install the crystal.

I'm hoping I can put it back together, considering this watch was made in the 1940s and it'd be a shame to let my stupidity kill something that's so much older than me. Heh

---

Edit:

"Turning the balance pivot cups out will allow you to place the balance after everything else is tended to."

Smudgy, after I post my picture later tonight, could you show me where the balance pivot cups are located?
    Last edited by crazymew; 03-01-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Btw guys, here's a pic of the watch, alongside the back I was stupid enough to take off, D;

Blog Entries

If it had been wound when you removed that back plate you would be on the floor likely hunting for the pieces that flew out.
    You have your work cut out for you to get that back together.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: Kevin W.)

Must be an older one than mine, as the plate on mine is crimped on instead of being held down by screws.

Someday I'll have to find a crystal for mine (smashed) -- it's a fairly nice beater watch.

Any advice on oiling one of these? I'm getting 240 degrees or so of balance rotation fully wound, which may be as good as it gets for one of these.

Peter

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: psfred)

Ah, well... I found out how to fix it. But not before it died a horrible, gruesome death... Ah well, I guess it's best if I don't mess with antiques or mechanical watches... : <

So, If anyone wants some parts to a 1940 Westclox 'Scotty', I have some parts and a case? ^^;

Thumbs down Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: crazymew)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymew View Post
    I purchased this pocketwatch the other day, and it arrived yesterday. http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.122323036.jpg

I also purchased a few broken pocketwatches for parts and repair. Considering that the only thing wrong with the pocketwatch from what I've seen, is that it doesn't have a crystal. Luckily, the broken watches I bought also has a Westclox 'Scotty' in the batch with a crystal.

However, for the life of me, I don't know how to replace a crystal in a pocket watch such as this.

Is there a guide for replacing the crystal of this model? Any and all help would be appreciated.
    these watches have special plastic crystals with a large lip that fits under the bezel. You can't put a basic crystal on these Westcloxs.

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: FredWJensen)

Quote Originally Posted by FredWJensen View Post
    these watches have special plastic crystals with a large lip that fits under the bezel. You can't put a basic crystal on these Westcloxs.
    Ah, I found out how to put the crystal on after I broke the watch... Needless to say, my dad laughed his butt off, ^^;

Hey don't give up so quick...!

Another way that may help you re-assemble is to hold the movement up sorta like you do a sandwhich after you stand the gears up and place the top plate on. Don't assemble the balance wheel until after the top plate is on.

Then with a tooth pick and slight slight slight finger pressure on top plate peek in the side of the movement and touch the gears into place.

Often you will find that simply squaring off a gear will line the top pivot into place.

You should be using a 10x loupe. This will also allow you to see the pivot tips sticking out from the top plate view.

Once you get the top plate down with all the pivots in place, touch a gear and see if your escape wheel spins.

Then you can start screwing down the plate.

It's basically same instructions as Smudgy, just using a toothpick and holding the movement up to your face like a sandwhich.

On yours you may have to do the balance wheel same time.

Unless you busted a pivot by pushing down on the top plate too hard/soon, the watch looks fine.

RJ
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 03-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Default Re: Westclox 'Scotty', How To? (RE: RJSoftware)

Ah, no... I put the watch together 3 times to no avail to it working. After winding the watch after the third time to see if it would tick. It exploded and the hands snapped off... So yeah, there's nothing I can do with it anymore except hold onto it and either give/sell the gears to someone who actually knows what they're doing, or save them on the off chance I decide to destroy another vintage item... : \

Edit:
    I did however, figure out exactly how the watch worked, balance cup and all. And have more of a understanding and appreciation for how they work and the genius there must have been to create a watch like that which actually functions, well for that matter. So it wasn't all a waste.

Just a $20 learning experience, xD!

Blog Entries

Not trying to be rude, but these watches are dollar watches.They were never meant to be repaired.This one perhaps would be better for a parts movement.Good to see RJ in there helping but this one may be past help.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/