Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1591 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IBM or Simplex Oscillator

Looking to purchase in any condition a oscillator assembly as used in IBM or Simplex master clock that had electronic adjustment feature.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: jackdwitt)

Jack, not sure exactly what you want. Are you looking for a transmitter to run an electronic correction system?
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: harold bain)

Harold-
    Yes, I believe what is missing from my MC could be called a 'transmitter.'
    It is the device that generates the high frequency tone superimposed upon the 120VAC for the "electronic adjustment" type slave clocks. There are 10 wires hanging in space, the device removed from my MC would have 10 terminals.
    Please advise.
    Regards,
    JackW

Jack, the one I have (a Simplex) is about 18 inches by 12 inches by about 8 inches deep, and weighs about 40 pounds. It isn't meant to fit into a master clock case, and would need only two wires from the master to activate it for correction. Could you post a picture of what you have?
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold-
    I guess I was not clear- in a different thread, I asked for a photo or illustration of a 'electronic adjustmenmt' oscillator in a IBM 25MC or Simplex equivelant.
    I appreciate your offer to help, but it sounds like what you have will not work for me as I wish to restore my 25MC, if not to 100% original components, at least original functionality- that is, controlling 24VDC slaves with correction as well as 120VAC slaves with correction.
    By the way, can you imagine why the oscillator/transmitter in my clock had 10 wires? Les/Eckmill is sending me a Simplex service manual that covers the electronic adjustment feature, perhaps that will shed some light on this matter.
    Also, several years ago I posted pictures of my 25MC including close-up of the works and I asked if anyone recognized the relay assemblies attached, especially the one on the right side. At that time, you stated you did not recognize that configuration, it sounds like my clock is somewhat rare. It is not in the greatest shape, it is possible that the electronic adjustment feature was added at some time while the clock was in service, but why would the factory leave the space for the oscillator/transmitter below the transformer if that feature was not available?
    I still hope to find someone who has an original 25MC with the electronic adjustment feature equipment and that they are willing to provide photos. If necessary, I can fabricate what I need.
    Again, thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    JackW

Jack, I doubt that the components needed to make an electronic correction system were miniaturized to the point of fitting into a master clock at any time in the life of this clock. You are just guessing as to what your 10 orphan wires hooked up to. Where do these wires go? A few pictures might help
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold-
    Thanks for your assistance with my 25MC.
    I certainly can trace 10 wires and create a schematic, unfortunately I do not have the time to do this today. I do have a couple of photos.
    Please find attached 'ibm clock 011', a photo of the works with the dial removed. What is the purpose of the relay assembly attached to the right side? Also find attached 'power supply'. You will notice the space below the transformer where this mystery component with the 10 wires once resided. If this does not indicate the electronic adjustment feature, what was there instead?
    Regards,
    JackW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ibm clock 011.jpg   power supply.jpg  

I see a transformer (black) and below that a rectifier (gray) - which relay?

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: skruft)

Jack, your clock did have the sync wired slave correction option, but for minute correction only (12 hour correction didn't appear til the mid 1950's). Those contacts on the right that are badly bent were to correct synchrononous clocks. I see one relay that was added and it appears you are missing a relay (perhaps one replaced the other). I think it is only a relay missing. If you could trace the wiring, might give some clues.
    Unless you are planning to use this clock in a practical application (do you have a school?), I wouldn't be too concerned with the missing components.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Observations,
    The white wires were added as IBM nor Simplex used any color till much later.
    The relay in the lower right is the impulse relay for the 24 volt clocks and the impulse wound movement. It is a replacement relay available in the 1950s.
    The missing component is most likely a relay. It is NOT for a device to generate signal for an electronic clock system. ALL transmitter/generators were mounted externally as they needed to be close to the power distribution system and were large compared to the master.
    Hope this helps.

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: SOG38)

Quote Originally Posted by SOG38 View Post
    Observations,
    The white wires were added as IBM nor Simplex used any color till much later.
    Hope this helps.
    When I worked for Simplex in the 70s I replaced a lot of motors in time clocks. (The J clock ate them) They had long white wires that were very nice. Easy to strip and tinned stranded core. I would shorten them to the correct length and save the ends for jobs like this. Only difference, If I had changed that rectifier I would have put in a small epoxy case bridge form a fire alarm.

The good thing about the original was you could hear it under load so when you hand impulsed the clocks to bring them up to correct time you could hear when the last one made it to 59 because the 120 hz hum would stop.

Frank

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: fdew)

Yep, we did go through a lot of those 292-041 motors. Probably had about a years life expectancy in a J clock (the ribbons lasted longer). Made selling a maintenance agreement easy.
    I have a bunch of those finned rectifiers that Simplex was throwing away (obsolete parts). Don't know if I will ever use them, though.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I thought we were discussing the pictured 25 master power unit.
    Not sure what the motors have to do with the power unit.
    The motors were made by Synchron not Simplex.

Default Re: IBM or Simplex Oscillator (RE: SOG38)

Sorry for wandering off topic, SOG.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Harold

Curious, did you start your horological career/interest fixing these?

RJ