Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 628 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch

Hello, I am a new member to this site, so forgive me if I fail in any protocol here.

I am interested in knowing some information about a pocket watch I purchased simply because I thought it was interesting.

It from the Bulova Watch Co., Caravelle Division, Swiss. It is a pocket watch with an embossed image of St. George slaying a dragon. It is all silver in color, and the interior is marked "7492 base metal." The back of the pocket watch has a flora pattern on it, and the interior is a white face with black numbers (not roman numerals), and there is a small circular section for the seconds hand. The internal gears are silver (the exterior gears) with brass interior gears (or possibly gold).

Does anyone know the history of this watch? I have roamed many web sites with little to go on. And I would just like to know when it was manufactured historically, and if anyone can recommend a reputable place to have such a watch repaired since it does not operate currently.

I really enjoy this timepiece, and I'd like to have it working.

If anyone can recommend any resources to know more about the piece, I would be happy to research it more myself.

Also, is there a resource I might go to so as to know the monetary value of this watch?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: BenMoose)

Hi, we really need a sharp close-up of the watch's movement to tell you something about your watch.

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: RON in PA)

Sorry, I cannot provide pictures at this time. I'll do so in the future.

Thank you for the reply.

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: BenMoose)

I believe I actually have the same watch that is mentioned here. I have been trying to find some information on it myself and stumbled upon this post. I do have some pictures to provide. So if anyone has some information that would help the both of us, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: Laughingsentry)

As a family heirloom i would see value in it.These watches sell frequently on Ebay.I had one that i paid around 65 for, got less than half when sold, so not highly valuable.
    I would think age around early 1970,s.
    Likely a clean and oil would get it going again.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: Kevin W.)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I didn't think it would be anything of great value but was interested in time frame. This was handed down to me by my father and I always really enjoyed the images but it hasn't worked in a long time. I'll have to see if there is somewhere nearby that can oil and clean it and see if that gets it up and running again. Thanks for the info!

Blog Entries

This looks to me like a Unitas 6497 or a close relative, as per Roland Ranfft's excellent movement archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&ETA_6497_1

Estimating an age on this watch would be dufficult as this movement has been in production until fairly recently, and may still be in production. I suspect even the manufacturer (Eta/Swatch?) might even have difficulty telling us how many millions of this movement have been produced. If I am wrong, no doubt someone will correct me, but I suspect this movement is still used in Tissot pocket watches. And perhaps others. Serviceable, simple, reliable, good value, rugged, all of those. Collectible, interesting?............. Well! Lets stick with its GOOD points. In this case, it is the sentiment that makes it collectible, and perhaps that is most important.

Default Re: Bulova Caravelle Pocket Watch (RE: doug sinclair)

The ETA 6497/6498 movements are still in production and used by many manufacturers for pocket watches and the currently fashionable large wristwatch. Originally designed and manufactured by Unitas, they have been around since the 1950s if memory serves correctly.
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

I also have the same watch