Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4665 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Strikes too fast

I just restored a 30 hour movement Ė no identification on the movement that I can find Ė with several bushing and new springs. It now keeps great time. However, the strike side strikes so fast it is impossible to count the strikes. Iím sure the strike spring is similar to the one I took out and the fan is working. In fact it doesnít slip any on the shaft. The movement prior to restoration had a broken the time spring so Iím not sure how it was striking before restoration. Any ideas? Thanks - carl

Default Strikes too fast (By: Carl Gerdes)

I just restored a 30 hour movement Ė no identification on the movement that I can find Ė with several bushing and new springs. It now keeps great time. However, the strike side strikes so fast it is impossible to count the strikes. Iím sure the strike spring is similar to the one I took out and the fan is working. In fact it doesnít slip any on the shaft. The movement prior to restoration had a broken the time spring so Iím not sure how it was striking before restoration. Any ideas? Thanks - carl

Arragh! Carl. The fan fly must slip a little, else when the strike train latches up, one of two things will happen; either latch will bounce off and repeat striking repeatedly or it will rip the leaves off a pinion!

The strike train spring you installed obviously has more strength that the original despite having the same visual measurements. It's well documented that springs made today are more powerful.

You really should remove your new strike spring and compare it's dimensions with the old one. And, just for kicks, roughly compare their relative strengths by trying to balance a coin on an extended length of each.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Les, thanks for you timely response. You are right, I have looked again at the springs and the strike is slightly smaller than the time spring. As the time spring was broken I just ordered two of them and installed them. I will go back and install the old strike spring. Also, thank for the education on the fan, I will make sure it slips a little when I have it out. Again, thanks. carl