Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1725 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases

I was wondering if anyone had done any research in determining the amount of pure 24kt gold, in ounces, in the typical 16s and 18s rgf pocket watch cases marked 10, 15, 20, and 25 year guarantee. Also curious to know what grade of gold was used in the gold jewel settings.

Default Re: Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases (RE: ed)

To start, from the Guide to the Precious Metals Marking Act and Regulations here in Canada:

NOTE: The criterion used with respect to the quality marks "gold filled", "rolled gold plate" or "gold plated" used on watch cases is based on thickness and not weight.

8.1 "gold filled" "G.F." or "doublé d'or"
    These quality marks must be accompanied by a factual karat designation, e.g., "10K gold filled". All of the numerals and letters in the mark must be in the same size of type.
    A minimum thickness of 3/1000 of an inch (75 micrometres) of at least 10K gold must be applied to the outer surface of the hunting case front, back,centre, open-face bezel, pendant, crown and bow. At least 1/1000 of an inch(25 micrometres) of at least 10K gold must also be applied to the outer surface of the caps and hunting bezel.

8.2 "rolled gold plate" "R.G.P." or "plaqué d'or laminé"
    These quality marks must be accompanied by a factual karat designation, e.g."10K rolled gold plate". All numerals and letters in the mark must be in the same size of type.
    A minimum thickness of 1½/1000 of an inch (35 micrometres) of at least 10K gold must be applied to the outer surface of the hunting case front, back,centre, open-face bezel, pendant, crown and bow. At least 1/1000 of an inch(25 micrometres) of at least 10K gold must also be applied on the outer surface of the caps and hunting bezel.
    I suspect the total weight would probably be measured in the thousandths of an ounce and that would still only be whatever karat it was, you would then have to further subdivide that to get the 24K gold amount.

Default Re: Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases (RE: 51Cards)

In other words "not enough to make melting them down worth it." These items have far more historic and collectible value than they have value in gold.

Default Re: Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases (RE: Surf Monkey)

it is done though... worn gold filled cases i belive are purchased by the pound by some scrappers.

rule of thumb is that they are worth about the same as sterling silver.

25 and 30 year cases are worth about 20 to 30 per ounce stripped.

10 and 15 year cases less.

the big money is in 1/10 (not 1/20th) 14k gf chains. about 50 per ounce.

jeff

contact me for more info

Default Re: Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases (RE: terry hall)

Quote Originally Posted by terry hall View Post
    it is done though... worn gold filled cases i belive are purchased by the pound by some scrappers.
    Sad indeed.

Sad indeed.

-----

no one in their right mind would scrap an unworn and undamaged gf case though.

(I hope)

Jeff

Registered user.

Default Re: Gold content in rgf pocket watch cases (RE: Jeff Hess)

Thanks to every one who supplied an input. The canadian regulations were surprising to me since some of the engravings i have seen seem to be deeper than the quoted thicknesses.