Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1697 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Question Setting mechanism for Ansonia car clock

Hello all,

I have two Ansonia No. 3 flush-mount automobile clocks, circa 1915. (At the bottom of the attached page from Ansonia Clocks & Watches by Tran Duy Ly.) My plan is to restore at least one of them to running condition and mount it for display.

These clocks wind, adjust, and set from the back. Apparently the clocks are set via something that comes up through the center of the winding knob and that something is missing from both examples I have. One of the examples has part of it, a short tube with a notched end that protrudes. This tube is spring loaded, i.e., it "gives" and then springs back when you press on it.

Any information about what should be there and a possible source for a replacement part would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Clay Witt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catalog page from Tran Duy book.pdf  

Default Re: Setting mechanism for Ansonia car clock (RE: DiscipleC)

These car clocks are basically just large watches. The ones I have seen have a long winding and setting stem that comes out of the bottom so that it is easier to wind and set, but I haven't seen an Ansonia model. There are a lot of different mechanisms and configurations that could have been used, so posting a picture of what you have would be helpful unless someone has some paperwork that shows the parts. You can also try posting on the Watch Repair board, I think some there collect and repair the car clocks as well as watches.

Registered user.

Default Re: Setting mechanism for Ansonia car clock (RE: Smudgy)

Hi Smudgy. Nope, this one sets from the back.

Clay
    -> posts merged by system <-
    P.S. I am rather hoping there may be a member who has one that is complete might post a picture of the back so I can see what the missing part is supposed to look like and can describe how it works.

Hello Clay. I have a complete No. 3 Ansonia car clock with the winding and setting knob on the back. If you will send me your email address, Ill forward a pic of the back. It is really just an ordinary Ansonia 8 day novelty movement slightly modified into a car clock application, and I think that if you can find an 8 day complete loose movement, you can restore your car clock(s).

Al Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleC View Post
    Hello all,

I have two Ansonia No. 3 flush-mount automobile clocks, circa 1915. (At the bottom of the attached page from Ansonia Clocks & Watches by Tran Duy Ly.) My plan is to restore at least one of them to running condition and mount it for display.

These clocks wind, adjust, and set from the back. Apparently the clocks are set via something that comes up through the center of the winding knob and that something is missing from both examples I have. One of the examples has part of it, a short tube with a notched end that protrudes. This tube is spring loaded, i.e., it "gives" and then springs back when you press on it.

Any information about what should be there and a possible source for a replacement part would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Clay Witt

Registered user.

Default Re: Setting mechanism for Ansonia car clock (RE: Regalansonia)

Al kindly provided me with a picture of what I am looking for. See attch. (The setting knob, as you will see, comes up through the center of the winding key.) He also tells me this setting mechanism was used in many Ansonia novelty clocks as well. If somebody has a movement that has the setting mechanism intact they are parting out or want to sell--working or not--please let me know.

Clay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008--small.jpg  
    Last edited by DiscipleC; 01-28-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: add photo

These things should set by pushing the winding assembly and moving forward or backward. They have a tendency to break down within the inside tube and are easier to replace than just repair.