Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1689 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cleaning Fluid Info please

With the high price of watch cleaning and rinsing fluids, does any one have a recipe for making your own?

RDStorer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: rdstorer)

Rd this topic has been covered many times, recently in the clock repair forum.If you do a search on this you should find what you are looking for.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: rdstorer)

As a chemist I tried to price out making my own watch cleaning solution. I could not come close! Stick with the commercial cleaners.

Rinse is a different story. 75% Stoddard Solvent and 25% VM&P Naphtha is a common commercial rinse. The problem is you have to find good quality sovents that do not leave a residue. I use the Klean-Strip brands.

Now the cleaners contain detergents that help remove some of the grunge and other materials that remove oxidized metals, making them shine. If you do not care about the metal shinning and if you are willing to do a bit more hand work, then you can just use several rinse baths.

It really comes down to how much your time is worth. If you want to spend hours running around, mixing solutions and doing more hand work on the watch, then you can save a few dollars. If you are a professional, then your time is worth much more than the "savings".

Don

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: Don Dahlberg)

Also depends on safety on the use of the cleaner and how you will dispose of it later.
    I dont think much is saved when you do it your self.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: Kevin W.)

A lot of cleaning solution recipes that are out there floating around are for CLOCK cleaning solutions. I have yet to see a home-made clock cleaning solution that was not basically WATER! Do NOT use water based cleaning or rinsing solutions on watches! Matter of fact, the only thing I clean with water based solutions is my dishes, and ME! But I still haven't rusted after more years than I care to admit to.

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: doug sinclair)

L&R is the only cleaning products i use i stil use the #3 for cleaning and the #111 for rinse for me they work great..

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: s. smith)

The L&R Instrument cleaning /rinse solutions work great.

Smile Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: watchwldr940)

The old fashioned way is to use pure Naphtha for cleaning and rinse. You can soak parts for as long as you need to dissolve old oils and grease. Pure Naphtha will not harm parts and metalizations, like many modern cleaners will. You would be surprised after several days how much grit and particles are found in to bottom of the container. Even clean parts. It costs approx 13$ gallon. However, pure Napthta is not reccommended for Ultra sonic cleaning due to fire hazard.

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: FredWJensen)

I use naphtha and it seems to work fairly well. I did make the mistake of leaving a movement soaking in a jar for a couple of years (oops). A green wax-like substance formed all over the movement that was very hard to remove as it didn't really want to dissolve in the naphtha, it would just sort of get soft. I guess that it came from the barrel lubricant since there was so much of it. It seemed to have creeped over the entire surface and into crevices. I guess it "grew" on the movement sorta like a crystal as it precipitated out of the naphtha. Automotive wax and grease remover helped take it off, but I couldn't find anything that would instantly dissolve it and rinse it away. Maybe it came from the naphtha itself? The jar was sealed and it didn't look like much evaporation had taken place. Anyone seen that before?

Registered user.

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: FredWJensen)

I usually use the L&R cleaning and rinse solutions in my ultrasonic, however, I have also used Zenith products wth good results. The only instances that I've known the commercial products to damage watch parts is if they stay in the solution to long - such as overnight, which shouldn't happen, as 5-10 minutes in each solution in the ultrasonic is usually long enough.
    Samantha

Default Re: Cleaning Fluid Info please (RE: Samantha)

I use L&R also. I understand that leaving a movement in naptha for extended periods will degrade the shellac on pallet stones and they will lose grip. Is this true?